What's in your bag, but what bag do you have and why? What about Survival equipment? Other than your cell phone.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great topic to add to this tread, what about survival gear. Last time I was 4 wheeling in Vermont and Utah, my cell phone didn't have signal on certain trails and areas.
My husband bought a garmin at REI.
There is a $35 a month charge but we are frequently out of cell service range. It’s small and easy to carry and you feel better having it for just in case.

Since I'm an Olympus user, cameras and lenses don't need a lot of space -- my camera with 75-300mm goes in a small camera bag on a cross-body strap; another body with a macro lens and a small LED array is in a waist pack. My 100-400mm lens is in a "cube" in my backpack along with a seating/kneeling pad. In a side pocket is a water bottle; the large central outside pocket has a large garbage bag that could double as a poncho, several Cliff bars, insect repellant (100% DEET) compass and paper map, and my first-aid kit (four sanitary napkins to control/absorb bleeding, self-adhesive bandage wrap, stretch/exercise band to wrap bandages or as a tourniquet, several squares of thin plastic for chest seals, two four-inch and two two-inch compresses, several aspirin for heart issues and a couple of prescription drugs for pain), firestarter and several butane lighters, a partial roll of toilet paper, most of a roll of plastic flagging and a small LED flashlight. No cell-phone, GPS or other battery-operated stuff -- ever had a battery go dead?

A Glock is handy if you need to shoot yourself when you get into trouble at home or when traveling. One can be a few miles from their vehicle and get lost or break a leg and be SOL if they are alone. The SOS text capable beacons are a good item for the foolish to take with them. I dislike this approach as it puts others in danger as a result of my doing something stupid or high risk.

The attitudes of many has changed dramatically in my lifetime. In my teens and twenties if I ventured into a wilderness I needed to be prepared and if I set off on the ocean with my sailboat the same applied as my VHF radio had a range of less than 25 miles. Now people take risk and expect ot use their wireless phone to call for help and expect others to bail them out and as a result are less likely to plan smart or learn to be self sufficient or take unnecessary risks. The Darin awards are not much of a consolation for the prize winners and their friends and family.

In tems of photo backpacks I have ones in 18L, 26L, and 32L sizes and a very small, small, medium size, and large shoulder bags. In city areas the shoulder bags work the best but when I need to take a tripod the backpacks that provide for attaching a monopod or tripod to the sides of the pack without blocking access to the compartments works better.

My husband bought a garmin at REI.
There is a $35 a month charge but we are frequently out of cell service range. It’s small and easy to carry and you feel better having it for just in case.

I guess you are talking about the InReach device. My brother had one while circumnavigating South America. While searching for penguins along the Argentinian coast he dumped his bike and was pretty seriously injured. The device detected the crash and started through its emergency procedures. A couple of farm hands came by and threw him and the bike in the back of their flatbed truck. Somewhere along the way they were met by the ambulance that had been more, or less, automatically dispatched. So, the device worked as advertised and very efficiently. Long story made short, he was medevaced back to the US.

Last edited:
Getting close to the holiday season and I'm thinking of getting a backpack (or one being gifted, once I decide). I know Steve has 2 video's on "WHAT'S IN MY BAG" for Africa, Costa Ric and explains the reason for his selection of his bag and what he has in it. Presently I have my Z9 with my 200-500mm (with a TC generally attached)in my Nikon CL-L2 in my truck ready to go with my monopod and looking to larger. I like the idea of having the lens attached with either my 200-500 or my 200-400 attached ready to go. So what is your bag of preference and why?

Happy Holidays and Happy Shooting,
Mark
I love my 200-400mm f4 but if I dont know what to expect then I'd rather take the 200-500mm - its much lighter and more expendable...🦘

I guess you are talking about the InEeach device. My brother had one while circumnavigating South America. While searching for penguins along the Argentinian coast he dumped his bike and was pretty seriously injured. The device detected the crash and started through its emergency procedures. A couple of farm hands came by and through him and the bike in the back of their flatbed truck. Somewhere along the way they were met by the ambulance that had been more, or less, automatically dispatched. So, the device worked as advertised and very efficiently. Long story made short, he was medevaced back to the US.
Haven’t had to use it yet but it’s nice to know it’s there. No one ever plans to have an accident or emergency.

And the winner is, Lowe Pro Trekker 550 AW II Backpack for travel and Ruggard Alpine 600 Lens and Body Backpack (for the price and reviews) for everyday travel in my work truck and Sunday drives. A close runner up was the Gura Gear Kiboko 2.0 30L (presently out of stock). My choice for the Lowe was based of size, weight, laptop pocket, in stock, listed reviews, and being able to carry-on for most airlines. The Lowe 550 has a detachable top section giving you an
Exterior
19.3 x 13.8 x 9.8" / 49 x 35.1 x 24.9 cm
20.1 x 13.8 x 9.5" / 51.1 x 35.1 x 24.1 cm (Not Expanded)
Interior
18.1 x 12.2 x 6.7" / 46 x 31 x 17 cm
Exterior with top bag
24.4 x 13.8 x 9.4" / 62 x 35 x 24 cm

If I obtain another in the future, I will add the Guru Gear Kiboko 30L as my second carry on.

Now, I just have to wait for Santa (LOL, as I'm Jewish)

Back