When I put my Z8 CFE card into my reader, the files show up as HEIC, rather than NEF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RickW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Please tell me I didn't inadvertently change in the camera what gets written to the card from RAW to HEIC. I expected to have NEF files - am I screwed?

1717849225645.png

You mean HEIF. You aren't seeing thumbnails???
For these images, you might look at them with another program then convert the keepers to DNG.

Yes look at your settings. I know Apple still doesn't support HEIF either.

Fast Raw Viewer beta supports it now.

Please tell me I didn't inadvertently change in the camera what gets written to the card from RAW to HEIC. I expected to have NEF files - am I screwed?

View attachment 90903

Where in the image you uploaded does it show the file suffix? Also can you check your camera to see if you set it to save raw .nef files or something else?

Appreciate the comments, but I have a neurological issue that I’m desling with, so I won’t be a bore to follow-up with the thoughts raised forvwxdeee. E. D. D.

Nikon's standard convention is to name Adobe RGB files _DSC_????

Turn on file details and show extension name, to show the real file name. Guess that you have a configuration issue on your machine, not that your files are HEIF, on file type association.

Back