When Nature provides a studio setting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Wow, been ages since I've shot any wildlife and worse since I've been on here; got a LOT of catching up to do with liking and commenting.
From an July shoot in a Carolinian forest camping trip on Lake Erie, I was sitting reading waiting for the tent fly to dry before packing it away and leaving the campsite; had spotted this stump and said out lout at one point, "Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, anybody want to use this lovely posing box?" Literally a shot from a short burst of shots, the last of the trip. A cooperating beam of light from a mostly heavily overcast sky through a thick tree canopy. (As for why the high shutter speed in such low light conditions: as I say I was packed up ready to go, including the camera and I zipped to the car grabbed the camera from the front seat and then immediately got off a few shots before my model flew away.)
Common Grackle.

Grackle resized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Really a swell photo of the common - fantastic light (y)
Thanks Charles. Got lucky with that light; was the morning after the previous evening of a couple of "take shelter" warnings on my phone about tornados and the sky was still pretty much angrily cloudy when this shot was taken :)

Back