When patience pays off - A musk ox in snowstorm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kjellis

Last sunday a friend and I were in the mountains photographing the musk oxen. It was a freezing cold wind and a snow storm. The animals was laying down and the snow covered their fur. From experience we knew that they would stand up and shake the snow off st somw time. After a long wait in these freezing cold condition this happened and I got this image of a musk ox shaking the snow off while the sun gives the sky a hint of yellow.

Z91_4622-Forbedret-NR-1-2.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Patience for sure; along with cold, wind, snow. Tell me was your perception of his/her coat to be as presented or a darker hue. Was just thinking this would be a brilliant image for the new Color Point tool in Lightroom if you perceived it as darker.

Patience for sure; along with cold, wind, snow. Tell me was your perception of his/her coat to be as presented or a darker hue. Was just thinking this would be a brilliant image for the new Color Point tool in Lightroom if you perceived it as darker.
I like to think I got the colour right, but I am open too thinking I‘m wrong. My experience was that this musk ox was a brighter in the fur than others I’ve seen that was darker.
Thanks, I will look into this new tool in lightroom.

I would think it would be very hard to get good focus in those conditions so bravo for doing as well as you did and braving it out in the cold! It's a wonderful image.

I would think it would be very hard to get good focus in those conditions so bravo for doing as well as you did and braving it out in the cold! It's a wonderful image.
Thank you! Yes, the subject detection struggeled when it snowed the most and I found that a single focus point was the most accurate. And with the wind I used a tripod to get the rig as stable as possible. Also clothing is extremely important to endure this kind of conditions.

Beautiful capture! It is certainly worth the wait in these extreme conditions. Was this taken in Dovrefjell near the Snohetta mountain? We saw them some years ago during an MTB ride in the summer period.

Beautiful capture! It is certainly worth the wait in these extreme conditions. Was this taken in Dovrefjell near the Snohetta mountain? We saw them some years ago during an MTB ride in the summer period.
Thank you! Yes, this was in Dovrefjell not far from Snøhetta mountain.

Back