Where should I go? Location, Location, Location…

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I agree on both of these locations. The Vince Shute Sanctuary is probably the best location in the country for black bears. If you can arrange an organized visit with Bill Lea (co-founder) or Chris Norcott it is worth the money. I saw more than 50 black bears in a 2+ acre meadow. They have a large viewing platform open to the public, and special tours with access to ground level.

The bears are fed under special permit for about three months during summer and entering hyperphagia. The bears come from distances of more than 100 miles away. In the meadow, there is ample food so all the bears are busy eating - and conflicts are rare. They have specific rules - you can't kneel or crouch - you have to stand. And an unwritten rule - the bigger bear has the right of way. You are a "small bear", so if a large bear is walking toward you, you need to move to the side and let them pass. If you don't they are a little puzzled and seem to wonder why you are blocking traffic or have such poor etiquette.
View attachment 91802

View attachment 91803
Nice shots, Eric!

Also, Smokey Mtn Natl Park in eastern Tenn.
You’ll mostly see deer and black bears (if in the right place). Elk are generally on the Cataloochee side which is a fair drive from popular spots like Cades Cove. Lots of songbirds but they don’t congregate anywhere that you can get them easily. At least that’s been my experience. Lots and lots of waterfalls of various sorts, streams and rivers, wildflowers at the right time, and landscapes aplenty.

Back