Which do you prefer ? (another one)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here is what I would do.

In Photoshop, expand the top by maybe 2 inches above the tip of the flower. Then crop to 4x5 (landscape orientation) and move around until you're happy with the composition. Might also be beneficial to slightly darken the corners on the left side.
Followed your advice. Here is what finally looks like
NZ8_2288-1350x1030x300-01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Both are superb! #1 is the stronger image IMHO with great detail. Your eye goes quickly to the sweet spot.

The correct answer is No 2 for the more complete environmental habitat…..or the original image. 😉
All three are tasty - nice to see, well done.

I like number 2 because the curve in the blossoms complements the curve in the bird's beak bringing the image together as a whole.

Thank you all. Much Appreciated.

Both…depending on which you're trying to emphasize. Generally I think 1 is cropped too close unless you're only interested in a portrait and that crop wise 2 is better. However…that also introduces several other distracting elements as noted in other replies but PP can solve most of those for you. If I had to pick one…I would go with 2 but just barely and do all the recommended PP changes.

I think from a 'finished product' point of view they're almost entirely different photos. Number one is a (great) photo of a bird; number two is a (great) photo with a bird and a flower as subject. So I refuse to choose :)

I like the bold in your face #1 because their are several bright annoying areas in the background. In the image you tone down the background, I think that is very nice but needs a bit of crop

Both…depending on which you're trying to emphasize. Generally I think 1 is cropped too close unless you're only interested in a portrait and that crop wise 2 is better. However…that also introduces several other distracting elements as noted in other replies but PP can solve most of those for you. If I had to pick one…I would go with 2 but just barely and do all the recommended PP changes.

I really like this version!

Yeah you got it. This is outstanding. The highlights on the bird are enough to draw your eye there and then a gander at the flower just the bird is doing. One feels a part of the experience.

That's a nice result!

2 by a mile! Great shot! I'd brighten the bird and add some room on the left side.
Edit: second one is perfect!

I think from a 'finished product' point of view they're almost entirely different photos. Number one is a (great) photo of a bird; number two is a (great) photo with a bird and a flower as subject. So I refuse to choose :)

Beautiful shot. Both crops excellent. Prefer 1 for the focus. My eye is less sure where to go on number 2.

This is a definite winner! In my opinion it would make a fantastic 20X16 metal print. Do that and hang it someplace prominent so everyone can enjoy it!

I like the bold in your face #1 because their are several bright annoying areas in the background. In the image you tone down the background, I think that is very nice but needs a bit of crop

Thank you very much ! Hugely appreciated.

Back