Which do you prefer? Monochrome or color

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Color for me. The black and white is interesting, but the color gives me a better connection to the animal and his environment, if that makes sense.
Yes, I understand. Others seem to feel that way as well. My purpose was really to show the intensity of the lion on the prowl so the environment seemed a secondary consideration.

I really think it depends on what story you're telling with the image. The color gives me a sense of time and place. There is enough of the grassland environment to give me (the viewer) a sense of where this beautiful creature lives..

The black and white is more dramatic and makes him look more menacing. I think what barking beans said above, he looks like he is stepping out with purpose.

If I were forced to pick, I would pick the color. Mainly because I've never seen a lion in the wild and the photo makes me feel like I just saw one out there in the bush.

Jeff
I did hope to convey the power and intensity of this predator. But, I understand the attraction of showing the habitat in its natural colors. If nothing else, it is interesting to hear how the different treatments evoke different responses from viewers.

Story?

If I had been the photographer, the story would be something like this:
  • That lion's far too close (rather, I'm too close)!
  • It's ok: the lion's going to walk right past.
  • Oh, no: it's looking straight at me!
Yes, this outstanding photo conveys a 'story' and the vegetation provides the 'environment'.

Prefer the B&W or prefer the colour: either way, the image is essentially monochrome and, because of this, my vote is for the colour which proclaims 'Camouflage!'… and the lion's bearing proclaims 'I don't need camouflage; not now!'

Such insouciance: power and confidence without a hint of swagger! For me, that's the story; and it's conveyed wonderfully in your image, Kathy.

… David
Love hearing your story for this image. I learn so much when I hear others describing what a photo conveys to them. Sometimes we get so immersed in our own shooting and post-processing we lose sight of that critical story-telling aspect of a photo.

I think it depends on your vision for the photograph. What we think doesn't make it true to your vision. That to me is more important
In my photograph, I wanted to convey the focus and intensity of this beautiful lion. Like most wildlife photographers, I usually shoot in color. But, this tawny colored cat against yellow grass presents a monochrome look that I wanted to explore in B&W. The background in the original B&W version was a dull gray - hence the adjustments to make it high key which I hoped would also make the lion "pop" in the image.

I did hope to convey the power and intensity of this predator. But, I understand the attraction of showing the habitat in its natural colors. If nothing else, it is interesting to hear how the different treatments evoke different responses from viewers.
the B&W treatment surely worked and did convey the power and intensity of the lion.

I like each for different reasons. The color is pretty standard and looks very nice but with the B&W has a different feel to it. The shaded part of the grass just behind the lion makes a distinct separation between the fg and bg and the grass in the bg fades out very quickly, giving it the feel that the lion is coming out of some heavy fog. (not that it is). It gives a bit of a haunting, chilling feeling if you imagine that a predator could be hiding in the fog, waiting to pounce on you. Makes me think of the creepy lions in the movie, "The ghost and the Darkness."

I like each for different reasons. The color is pretty standard and looks very nice but with the B&W has a different feel to it. The shaded part of the grass just behind the lion makes a distinct separation between the fg and bg and the grass in the bg fades out very quickly, giving it the feel that the lion is coming out of some heavy fog. (not that it is). It gives a bit of a haunting, chilling feeling if you imagine that a predator could be hiding in the fog, waiting to pounce on you. Makes me think of the creepy lions in the movie, "The ghost and the Darkness."
So interesting to hear how you responded to the B&W image. I am not familiar with the movie you mentioned but it sounds pretty intense. Thanks for your comment.

So interesting to hear how you responded to the B&W image. I am not familiar with the movie you mentioned but it sounds pretty intense. Thanks for your comment.
You're welcome. If you get the chance, you should see that movie, it's pretty good, and very intense at times as you said. It has Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer in it, and it's based on a true story, it's very much worth seeing.

Almost always color for me…those better in BW either are almost that way even in color or there is a lot of light and dark areas so that I go…yeah, BW. Color looks more natural because we see in color.

I do like black and white photos; I recently converted my website to all black and white. However, I am not personally a fan of high key like this as bright backgrounds are distracting (with rare exception). For the image to work FOR ME, I would go the other way and make the grass all around darker than the lion, probably with a modest vignette as well.

I do like black and white photos; I recently converted my website to all black and white. However, I am not personally a fan of high key like this as bright backgrounds are distracting (with rare exception). For the image to work FOR ME, I would go the other way and make the grass all around darker than the lion, probably with a modest vignette as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will play with these ideas in post and see whether or not they appeal to me and how I envision this image. It seems you are in the minority among forum members if you process so many images in B&W. Kathy

I have processed this image as a traditional color photo and also as a high key black and white. I would be interested to hear which treatment you prefer and why. Thanks for your comments. Kathy

View attachment 78739View attachment 78740
MONOCHROME, its classic, different, timeless, colour dates and is limited in placement as its colours compete to much with the environment be it your home, office, studio.
Only an opinion

Last edited:
MONOCHROME, its classic, different, timeless, colour dates and is limited in placement in it its environment as it competes to much with the environment be it your home, office studio.
Only an opinion
Interesting observation. Wildlife, particularly birds, can be so colorful - and color is such an important part of their story - that it can be hard to find appropriate subjects to do in B&W. African animals, which tend to be the same color as their surroundings (as is the case with the lion) or have graphic designs (such as the zebra), seem like good candidates for B&W exploration. If one is striving to create fine art images, I think B&W is often more powerful. Kathy

Thanks for the suggestion. I will play with these ideas in post and see whether or not they appeal to me and how I envision this image. It seems you are in the minority among forum members if you process so many images in B&W. Kathy
I am most definitely in the minority. I started a thread on black and white wildlife and it died a quick death. (Well not that quick - a few people posted - but still...).

Interesting observation. Wildlife, particularly birds, can be so colorful - and color is such an important part of their story - that it can be hard to find appropriate subjects to do in B&W. African animals, which tend to be the same color as their surroundings (as is the case with the lion) or have graphic designs (such as the zebra), seem like good candidates for B&W exploration. If one is striving to create fine art images, I think B&W is often more powerful. Kathy
Agree with your logic.

One size cap never fits all LOL.

Some of the nicest colorful landscapes can surprisingly look good or even better in mono than color.

Regardless of subject colour or mono, flipping an image may sometimes add a different feel or perspective so i always have a flip of anything i like or want.

Same with colour photos, i often look at a mono version, in case it has a "WOW i didn't expect that" effect LOL.

A couple of samples of whats on my wall for now, the first is of 1920s bath house on Balmoral beach Sydney from a Rollei medium format film camera by my friend Robert Billington, the second is $25 AUD canvas print from IKEA LOL.
Both are in wet foggy moody conditions.

robert-billington-early-morning-balmoral-beach-sydney.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20240114_151634 (002).jpg

Agree with your logic.

One size cap never fits all LOL.

Some of the nicest colorful landscapes can surprisingly look good or even better in mono than color.

Regardless of subject colour or mono, flipping an image may sometimes add a different feel or perspective so i always have a flip of anything i like or want.

Same with colour photos, i often look at a mono version, in case it has a "WOW i didn't expect that" effect LOL.

A couple of samples of whats on my wall for now, the first is of 1920s bath house on Balmoral beach Sydney from a Rollei medium format film camera by my friend Robert Billington, the second is $25 AUD canvas print from IKEA LOL.
Both are in wet foggy moody conditions.

View attachment 79062

View attachment 79063
I have gotten in the habit of looking at many of my color images in a B&W version. This conversion sometimes makes me look at the highlights, shadows, and contrast quite differently. Most often with my wildlife images, I go back to the original color version but some I truly like in B&W and those get saved both ways. I don't take too many landscapes but when fog is involved, I love going the monochrome root. I have attached one of my minimalist monochromes just for fun.
Loon and reeds and a foggy dawn.jpg

I have gotten in the habit of looking at many of my color images in a B&W version. This conversion sometimes makes me look at the highlights, shadows, and contrast quite differently. Most often with my wildlife images, I go back to the original color version but some I truly like in B&W and those get saved both ways. I don't take too many landscapes but when fog is involved, I love going the monochrome root. I have attached one of my minimalist monochromes just for fun.View attachment 79117
Now that's just lovely, really lovely,

Love the reeds that show the peaceful environmental composition.

I like the ripple reflection of the reeds and bird along with the bow wave, great moment, and you used the incomparable legendary fully enjoyable do everything tool, the D850(y):)

It can refresh the archive folder endlessly.

Back