Which do you prefer ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With or without the reed on the left ?
Blyth's Reed Warbler
Nikon Z8 + Nikkor 400mm F4.5
1/500, F4.5, ISO 1250
Any other thoughts about the picture?

NZ8_9934-1350x707x300.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
NZ8_9934-1350x707bx300.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Without. The reed doesn't add to the story or give the viewer any new insights as to where the bird is or what it is doing, and it pulls the eye away from the subject.

honestly no preference. I can make a case for both images. Cool bird by the way.
I prefer the image with the reed on the left. Can’t explain why, though.
With. Better sense of the environment.

I thought it looked nice with and without. But, more people (who responded) liked it with than without. Thank you all - very much.

Without. The reed doesn't add to the story or give the viewer any new insights as to where the bird is or what it is doing, and it pulls the eye away from the subject.

In this case, I gotta go without. I don't think the reed is adding anything meaningful. If it were closer and there wasn't that gap, it might work with it since it would from a partial frame, but I think I like it without. It's close though.

I prefer no 1 -

The second images is differently cropped and the perch is too large, too bright and dominates the photo and competes with the bird.
In the first photo the perch is more balanced and the lines work very well to push your eyes towards the bird. I would however darken the perch to be less obvious.
That is how I see it. I am sure it doesn't mean I am right.

I prefer no 1 -

The second images is differently cropped and the perch is too large, too bright and dominates the photo and competes with the bird.
In the first photo the perch is more balanced and the lines work very well to push your eyes towards the bird. I would however darken the perch to be less obvious.

I also like more room under the branch, but with no stick on the left.

I prefer the second picture without the reed.
It doesn't add anything to the photo.

While I prefer the second one without the reed in part because I like portraits, the first is excellent as well.

In this case, I gotta go without. I don't think the reed is adding anything meaningful. If it were closer and there wasn't that gap, it might work with it since it would from a partial frame, but I think I like it without. It's close though.
I prefer no 1 -

I also like more room under the branch, but with no stick on the left.

I am now seeing what I didn't earlier : the gap between the reed and the perch, the size and brightness of the perch, the crop - all elements that subtly affect engagement.
Thank you so much for this.

I also like the 1st one better, maybe because it shows more of the birds world. I've been attracted to that lately. But they are both beautiful! Thanks for posting. I like these discussions about how and why a photo works.
best regards, Alan

Well, it's a win/win because both are great pictures. I like the reed on the left slightly more for a framed in the environment feel. If it was my picture I might crop a bit off the right. Just my preference. Again, though, it's a great shot either way. Well done.

Back