Which "F" mount lenses offer performance versus purchasing a similar Z lens?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Doug

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is a spinoff topic from "Are You Sentimental About Your Gear?" Backcountry members like myself have an extensive collection of F-mount lenses. Considering the cost of buying a new Z-mount vs the performance of a similar F series. My thanks in advance for saving me and others bucks, if possible.

An interesting discussion.

I still shoot with a d500 and may pick up a used d850 or d810 for landscape, but I'm planning on switching to a z8 or z9 eventually. Consequently, when I purchase new or used f glass, I'm conscious of what others on this forum are continuing to use with their mirrorless cameras. At least until finances recover somewhat....

A 500mm pf is commonly still used by z8 and z9 owners who report great results. I bought a used one and love it, and plan to keep it for use with mirrorless.

I really like my 300mm f4 pf with a 1.4tc (or without), and I tried it on a z8 with the FTZ. It worked great but felt really extended. The 400mm f4.5 is a better replacement, probably.

Photography Life has many good comparisons in their z lens reviews to f glass equivalents. My understanding is that in most cases the newer z glass is better. But sometimes it is close.

Being fiscally restrained, I might consider getting the following f glass before I switch to mirrorless.
105mm micro 2nd version.
24mm f1.8

Otherwise I'm conscious that buying f glass is a form of delaying the inevitable and that I won't get back anything close to what I put in if I sell it later. So I'll just acquire enough to keep learning.

The top 4 that I continue to use with Z9 / D6:
500 PF, 180-400 f4E TC14, 70-200 f2.8E, 800 f5.6E (often with TC125), 58 f1.4G

I also have Zeiss 15 f2.8AIP, Zeiss 21 f2.8AIP, although the 14-30 f4S is lighter and works better to frame scenes.

And the olde 70-180 Micro Nikkor on a D850 continues to deliver for framing close ups, although 100-400 S is a partial alternative. And... I have a collection of AIS lenses that rarely get see much light but the resale value is too little, so yes these are momentoes (eg 28 f2.8, 55 f2.8, Micro, 105 f2.5 etc)

Last edited:
I could not stretch to a Z 70-200 f2.8 when I got my Z6ii so I got a used AF-S 70-200 E FL to replace my beloved AF-S 80-200 f2.8 ED and It is a mighty good lens just as everyone says. I know that the Z one is better but I got the F version for under 50% of the cost of a new Z one.

I kept the Nikon PC Micro 85mm 2.8 D; the 70-200 2.8E; and also the Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 G2. I sense Nikon will not be producing Z tilt shift anytime soon and 85 PC is very good. While I have Z lenses coving the other two F mount lenses their performance is very good and my use of those two lenses is infrequent.

This is a spinoff topic from "Are You Sentimental About Your Gear?" Backcountry members like myself have an extensive collection of F-mount lenses. Considering the cost of buying a new Z-mount vs the performance of a similar F series. My thanks in advance for saving me and others bucks, if possible.
That's a pretty broad question. What focal lengths/subject matter are you talking about? For pure optics/image quality there is little incentive to "upgrade" any f-mount lenses to Z. Across the board G/E series f-mount glass performs better on Z bodies. Optically only wide/ultra wide angle focal lengths have significant advantages in Z mount in the form of less distortion. Many/most of the advantages of Z-mount lenses are not optical but rather better integration with Z bodies such as more on lens controls and improved VR. And of course there are some focal lengths, apertures, and features such at integrated TCs which are only found in the Z mount versions of lenses.

My most used F-mount lenses are all primes with the exception of the 70-200 E FL. In order of most usage, they are...500pf, 70-200 f2.8 E FL, 85 f1.8, 20 f1.8, 300 f2.8G VR II, 105 f2.8 Micro, 14-24 f2.8, 11 f4 Irix. My day to day shooting is with 24-120 and 100-400 with occasional use of the 14-30, 28 and 40 Z lenses.

The only lens in that list that I will likely replace anytime soon is the 500pf, which I'll replace with the Z 600pf when I can pick up one on sale or used. I'll be curious to see when Nikon releases a Z 300 2.8 that is smaller and lighter...the F-mount is an incredible lens, but you sure know you're carrying some glass around, especially on a Z9. They'll have to perform some magic to make a substantial reduction in weight and price it very aggressively to get me to trade.

That's a pretty broad question. What focal lengths/subject matter are you talking about? For pure optics/image quality there is little incentive to "upgrade" any f-mount lenses to Z. Across the board G/E series f-mount glass performs better on Z bodies. Optically only wide/ultra wide angle focal lengths have significant advantages in Z mount in the form of less distortion. Many/most of the advantages of Z-mount lenses are not optical but rather better integration with Z bodies such as more on lens controls and improved VR. And of course there are some focal lengths, apertures, and features such at integrated TCs which are only found in the Z mount versions of lenses.
It's pretty much all lengths, including a few non-Nikon brands. Being well into retirement, from the post to date, I may buy a used 500mm pf as a bucket list item.

Going to the Z camera I gave up my ability to use the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro lens and this was a big deal as there is nothing comparable from anyone. For macro I should have held onto this lens and one of my D850 bodies. The nearest Z camera option is a 70-200mm f/2.8 and possibly with the Kenko extension tubes to reduce its close focus distance.

Thanks for getting this conversation up and running. Responding members have made some excellent suggestions for “F” mount glass paired with the Z platform. All were autofocus lenses (I think). When I bought a Z8/9 I did use the 500PF for a while with excellent results. If that is where you’re headed, you wont be disappointed.

I have some earlier ai-s lenses (manual focus) that I want to put to the test with w/FTZii on the Z8…

Going to the Z camera I gave up my ability to use the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro lens and this was a big deal as there is nothing comparable from anyone. For macro I should have held onto this lens and one of my D850 bodies. The nearest Z camera option is a 70-200mm f/2.8 and possibly with the Kenko extension tubes to reduce its close focus distance.
I hadn't thought about using older versions of Nikon lenses. How would a Nikon 200mm f/4 micro D series len(s) perform and be worth buying for use on a Z camera?

I've got two lenses that stand out - the 19mm PC is just a wonderful lens optically and it would be tough for any lens to replace it, and the AFS 300 f/4 has a minimum focus distance of around 4 feet and magnification ratio of 1:3.7 (and it works with the 1.4 TC ). Both of these lenses will stay in my kit for quite a while into the future.

I hadn't thought about using older versions of Nikon lenses. How would a Nikon 200mm f/4 micro D series len(s) perform and be worth buying for use on a Z camera?
It would perform beautifully as a manual focusing macro lens but the Z9 will not drive that lens with AF and that rules out things like the Z9's Focus Shift Shooting (automated focus stacking).

If you're OK with using it as a manual focus lens, it's a fine lens but unfortunately that lens requires a screw drive AF motor in the camera which the Z cameras lack.

Thanks for getting this conversation up and running. Responding members have made some excellent suggestions for “F” mount glass paired with the Z platform. All were autofocus lenses (I think). When I bought a Z8/9 I did use the 500PF for a while with excellent results. If that is where you’re headed, you wont be disappointed.

I have some earlier ai-s lenses (manual focus) that I want to put to the test with w/FTZii on the Z8…
Thanks, Larry. Your post inspired this conversation. 👏

It would perform beautifully as a manual focusing macro lens but the Z9 will not drive that lens with AF and that rules out things like the Z9's Focus Shift Shooting (automated focus stacking).

If you're OK with using it as a manual focus lens, it's a fine lens but unfortunately that lens requires a screw drive AF motor in the camera which the Z cameras lack.
So it seems the optical glass using screw focusing, would perhaps do a good job for specific purposes. Thanks, DRwyoming.

Some older lenses (for example my entire Ai-S set) will be soft on the 45mp sensor, simply because they were designed for film or much lower mp sensors and will not resolve the details you expect. Glance at the MTF charts before investing in lenses. Our sensors can now resolve better-than 30 lines/mm, so you'd want to look at those line (lower and blue), make sure they are comfortably above 0.8 at 0 and not fall much below 0.6 at the 10.

Let me count; (1) 14-24G, (2) 24-70G 2.8, (2) 70-200G 2.8, (2) 80-400G, (2) 500pf, (1) 105 2.8 micro, (1) 600G 4 between myself and my wife. No near term plans to replace any of the above. Still recovering from the purchase of (2) Z9. So far no complaints (2).

I have over 30 vintage manual focus lenses and my latest one is a pre ai Nikkor 105mm f2.5. Using a Z6ii and a Fuji XT-4 at the moment while I'm saving for a Z8 - unless a Z6iii appears!

Macro shooting is usually done with manual focus and you can use a focus rail for stacking. These days I use my manual focus lenses more than my AF ones.

Hi Doug, et al… I wanted to respond to your post so I went out this morning (38deg🥶) w/Z8+FTZii and an old ai-s manual focus lens. I decided on a lens in the middle of my on-hand focal range; the 85mm f/1.4 ai-s. It’s a well built beast😳
IMG_0182.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0190.jpeg

I didn’t do any comparison shots, just an assessment by a hobbyist of an older lens for use with the Nikon Z8/9 cameras. Not to leave anyone out, this is worth exploring for Canon, Sony, Pentax and others with their older SLR lenses. I selected the marsh grass area of our shoreline (1st pic) to use as a baseline for “depth of field” and rendering of detail. Disregard the EXIF data as being shot @1.4, all were at f/8, 125sec, iso auto. I initially tried “focus peaking” but found it useless for this situation. The areas outlined in color were too broad and confusing. I focused the old fashioned way, clarity to my eye….

Z8J_0775.jpeg

This is a full frame shot of the marsh grass for my test. It‘s a JPEG large/fine*, no cropping or tinkering with image.
Z8J_0778.jpeg

This is a huge 60-70% crop of the above image to assess detail. Looks good to me…these shots had to be reduced in size to post on the forum. They’re pretty darn sharp on my 27” iMac.
Z8J_0778.jpeg

My takeaway from this is that ai-s manual focus lenses are very suitable for landscapes and stationary subjects. Animals, birds, or other moving things will be a big challenge to overcome. The AF (auto focus) lenses from the later SLR and DSLR era are going to be better options…

In general…most F lenses will perform better on a Z body from what I’ve read…and will have better AF performance because of the lack of the f8 limitation. However…also in general…Z lenses are better than the equipment F mounts…and it really isn’t the mirrorless that causes that. The wider throat, shorter flange to sensor distance, newer coatings,and better optical design software running on faster computers gives them an edge both optically and generally in size and weight, not to mention more controls. That said…good F lenses are still good on Z bodies and I used them for a year or so after getting my first Z7II before upgrading to Z mount ones. And to be fair…a lot of the Z is better IQ is on
y really apparent at 1:1 or Steve’s recently recommended 2:1 on a 5K monitor and are largely downsampled away if your output is going to the screen.

Back