Which is it ???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are many look-alike mushrooms, including this one. It's probably Jackson's slender aminita (Aminita jacksonii) which is very closely related to, or maybe the same species as, Ceasar's Mushroom (Aminita caesarea) which is found in Europe.

Caeser's Mushroom (n).JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thank you all. There are only a couple of wild mushrooms I would be at all comfortable eating and none of the Aminitas fit that category. There's a remote possibility this one could be a "wartless" Aminita muscaria which can be hallucinogenic or potentially lethal.

Thank you all. There are only a couple of wild mushrooms I would be at all comfortable eating and none of the Aminitas fit that category. There's a remote possibility this one could be a "wartless" Aminita muscaria which can be hallucinogenic or potentially lethal.
1631457315524.png

Here is Amanita muscaria; Yours is Amanita jacksonii as you identified above but I agree with you: unless you are certain of the identification, caution is advised before eating wild mushrooms.

Here is Amanita muscaria; Yours is Amanita jacksonii as you identified above but I agree with you: unless you are certain of the identification, caution is advised before eating wild mushrooms.
Nice photo of typical muscaria, but some are yellow and some of both colors don't have the "warts".

Last edited:
Nice photo of typical muacaria, but some are yellow and some of both colors don't have the "warts".
Nice photo of typical muacaria, but some are yellow and some of both colors don't have the "warts".
I agree with you; warts of muscaria may be washed; When I have doubts and I want to be sure that it's a jacksonii for gastronomic purposes, I look under the the cap: gills of jacksonii are never white, (as it's the case with muscaria), but yellow.

Back