Which lenses for an Air Show?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Blue Angels always put on a good show. If ever have the opportunity you should check out their practices at El Centro NAS in El Centro, California usually from February through March. They fly their practices over the airfield and you can park at the end of the runway (off the base property) and get some really cool and unique shots. I did not have access to my prop plane shots earlier, but these shots vary from 1/40 sec for the Osprey to 1/80 sec and 1/00 sec. At these slow speeds (even with VR and IBIS) you don't get a ton of keepers, but the ones you get are usually pretty good.View attachment 94489View attachment 94490View attachment 94491View attachment 94492View attachment 94493

both sets of images are super

My two cents for what it’s worth. If you are going with what you own I’d go with 70-200 and 400 4.5 with both TC’s. This gives you a nice wide option for focal lengths to shoot with. You will use the longer lengths for single acts and wider for teams but that is assuming location is close to flight line.
As for pit for boats I have no experience with that but if it’s anything like statics at Airshow I think your idea about using Plena to isolate boats is your best bet.

Did you ever get a chance to see or photograph Sean Tucker when he flew the Oracle stunt plane? What he did with his aircraft was amazing and defied belief. And he was one of a very select few who was allowed to fly wtih the Blue Angles when they performed together. Not sure if he is still flying, but I thought he stole the show from them.

--Ken
Yes, I have seen the Oracle stunt plane fly. I am not a pilot, but I can only imagine the level of skill and training it takes to fly those planes. I don't even like rollercoasters, so I am always amazed that pilots can maintain the level of awareness and ability to handle all of the controls while pulling like 7-8 G's. I don't believe that I ever saw him fly in formation with the Blue Angels, just at the same airshow with them. That would definitely be cool to see. Ken

as Ken said, with helicopters and prop planes you want a slower shutter speed for prop blur, whatever you are comfy with, expect lot of garbage shots, 1/60 and up

1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

jets also against a background to show a sense of motion are fun also

8.jpg

9.jpg

unless you are up against the flight line the bigger the lens the better except for bigger planes or teams, a 70-200 (+ tc) or 100-400 is good

and evening/night time shows is always fun, probably more fun than a day show

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Back