which looks more natural

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Fellow photographers, I have a question.
Which of the two below look more "natural" on your monitors?
OK, here is why I am asking, I have "color corrected" my monitor using iDisplay Studio software and hardware. One photo was edited with my monitor at that setting. The other was edited with my monitor profile set to Display P3.
I exported both as SRGB and resized them both to the same size in Affinity Photo.
I tried to keep things as much the same as possible with the exception of which monitor profile I used while editing colors and brightness of each photo.

Of course, I can't see them on a different monitor so how it looks elsewhere is why I'm asking.

My observation in looking at "pure red" squares and "pure black" squares and switching back and forth between the 2 profiles is the Custom (color corrected) has a very slight magenta tone and the black is a little less pure black. Display P3 the red is a lot more saturated and the black is darker black. Overall brightness between the 2 is the same but I did not change brightness settings on my monitor so I would expect that to be the same.

Computer: MacBook Pro 13" M1
Monitor: Dell 2720Q
Connection: USB-c

Image 1 - the image edited with the color corrected profile loaded:
custom.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Image 2: Edited with default Display P3 color profile loaded.
P3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Maybe I am not to smart but I really don't see a big difference if any. A flower like that will have some variance in it's color so I could think that either would be natural depending on the flower.
I kind of thought the same thing. When looking at either image and switching back and forth between the 2 profiles, I can see a slight color shift but when looking at the 2 images using the same profile I don't see a whole lot of difference.

The reason for me doing this is to see if there is any "at the end" difference in the photos depending on which profile I use. I do print a number of photos so I'll probably continue using the "color corrected" profile for editing. However, even after editing I can't tell much difference and was curious if folks using other monitors with different profiles were seeing a difference.

No difference on my iPad Pro, either.
Did you make subtle changes during editing that wouldn’t be represented in SRGB? I’ve made adjustments to raw and TIFs that were noticeable on my BenQ, but not when exported as a JPG.

Last edited:
I don’t see any difference. I also have no idea what the flower looked like in it’s natural state. Sorry, or much help here.
Thanks. You helped. While I wanted the flower to look like it did in its natural state, I could have made it any color and still done this test. I was trying to make both images look essentially the same using two different color profiles on my monitor. If they looked the same in each profile on my computer but different on other computers then I would know there was a pretty significant difference between what got resolved in each profile.

I know I'm not explaining clearly, trying to think of the right words.

Jeff

No difference on my iPad Pro, either.
Did you make subtle changes during editing that wouldn’t be represented in SRGB? I’ve made adjustments to raw and TIFs that were noticeable on my BenQ, but not when exported as a JPG.
That could be it. One was a color corrected (according to iDisplay Studio) profile for the Dell 2027Q. The other was the Display P3 that is part of MacOS. My attempt here was to edit the flower in each profile to look alike (while in that profile). Example. I made 2 copies of the exact same file. I edited one in the Dell profile to look like it did in the wild. I edited the second picture in the Display P3 profile to look like it did in the wild. The test is to see if there is enough difference in the profiles to be concerned about which one is used. It seems there may not be a big difference.

I did notice a little more magenta in backgrounds on the Dell corrected profile and more saturated reds in the Display P3 when just looking at color swatches. It was minor and could just be my eyes.

In my photography I do a combination of "social media", "YouTube" and print. If Display P3 is more accurate across both display and print then I'll set my monitor to that and forget about "color calibration".

I guess I was a little bored on a cold and rainy day.

Jeff

Hardly any difference on my M1 iPad Pro but the bottom one is very slightly less contrasty (it’s subtle at best and probably will disappear once I am done sipping my glass of wine 😁
I see a slight difference in contrast on my 27" monitor too. Interestingly, I did not touch contrast on either photo when I saved them. Hey, drink a glass (or two) of wind for me!

Back