Which model of Sachtler fluid head should I get for my video gear of 5.1 lbs ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rudy Pohl

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am looking to buy a new video fluid head for my Canon R5 gear. Could you please give me your opinion about which Sachtler model to buy?

Thanks very much,
Rudy

Hi Rudy;

I'd recommend the Sachtler Ace (I have one), but it needs a 75mm bowl mount. You might think it's too big but IMO you can never go "too big" when it comes to a video fluid head where you need smooth pans at high mags. Morten Hilmer uses the Ace for all his heavy gear but that's pushing things. (He values portability). Good luck!

Hi Rudy;

I'd recommend the Sachtler Ace (I have one), but it needs a 75mm bowl mount. You might think it's too big but IMO you can never go "too big" when it comes to a video fluid head where you need smooth pans at high mags. Morten Hilmer uses the Ace for all his heavy gear but that's pushing things. (He values portability). Good luck!
I just ordered the new Sachtler Ace M Mark 2. Looks awesome.
What's the magic word? "Butter" as in smooth as butter, LOL! :p
Cheers,
Rudy

I use the Sachtler Ace XL with a Robus RC-5570 tripod that has both flat mounting plates and a 75mm bowl which can be switched in seconds and no tool needed.
Hi Calson,

You have a great setup! My entire rig, Canon R5, 100-500mm lens and the 1.4 teleconverter weighs in at a mere 5.1 pounds so the Ace XL would be overkill for me.... overkill on my budget too. ;)

I just checked out your tripod and it looks awesome. I film a lot of waterbirds so getting low is important, but at 74 years of age getting really low has its challenges, especially the getting back up part. I use a small collapsible stool out in the field and the new Sachtler tripod that comes with the Ace Mark 2 system looks perfect for me. The spreader is detachable so I'll see if I can figure something out to get lower.

Cheers,
Rudy

Back