Which winter gloves and backpack for photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a pair from Vallerret and really like them. Mine are a few years old. If you do buy them get the wool inserts. Makes a huge difference when temp really drops.

Vallerret is the brand I use in what I call "light cold" weather. I live in Michigan, so that's anything from about 40F to 10F. They are extremely flexible and allow no loss of dexterity.

When it gets to "heavy cold", as I call it - Iceland, Alaska, Michigan in the dead of winter - 10F or lower, then I use the Heat Company Heat 3 Smart Pro. They will keep your hands nice and toasty, but you lose a ton of dexterity.

as for backpacks - I don't use a specific backpack for winter. the bags I use all year round are made of that sort of "slick" water wicking material - and that works great in heavy snow too.

I like the Shimoda 35L v2 for a small bag

and the Nya-Evo 60L for a big bag

Last winter I was in the Canadian outdoors in search for the enigmatic snowy owls and had following gloves and mittens with me:
Hestra: https://www.hestragloves.eu/highland-glove-5-finger-dark-forest
Valleret: https://photographygloves.com/products/vallerret-photography-glove-markhof-pro-2-0
Valleret mittens: https://photographygloves.com/collections/mittens/products/alta-arctic-mitt-photography-glove

But there were moments I was not able to keep my hands warm and have ordered Inu Heat heated liner gloves:

Curious to find out if this will indeed be of any help.

Depends on what you mean by cold weather, for me. But once we're in the -10C and much, much worse range I wear a light merino wool glove 'liner' and over top that I wear the 'glomitt' at the link. When not shooting (e.g. waiting for the wildlife to find me) over the mittens I have a Goretex mitten shell that I wear. I also have a chemical handwarmer in my shutter finger (right) hand glove, or in my pocket so I can warm my hand. On brutally cold days I use warmers in the outer shell of both hands and move it into the shutter hand glomitt when shooting, so I can warm the exposed finger tip (the glomitt has a slit that allows the shutter finger to appear :) Close to home I ialso use a small computer mouse sized electric hand warmer in my pocket to get the exposed hand(s) rewarmed, cause for me once they get COLD there is simply no warming them again no matter the layers of gloves. I wore the glomitts by themselves in just below freezing temps a couple of days last winter and found them (gloriously) too warm -- warmest mittens ever, for me. I am in awe of people who have hands that continue to work when cold :) but I've rendered my hands immobile with cold enough times (three times in my life I've had to have strangers reach into my pocket, get my keys and open my door! One person came to my apt door , opened it and turned on the warm water in the sink for me to warm my hands LOL Too much deep cold weather running with gloves that didn't do the job :)
https://www.kuiu.com/products/northstar-glomitt-verde?variant=40536504828062

Moisture and windchill effect are the worst on exposed hands. I'm lucky enough so, I can still move my fingers even if I don't feel a thing in them anymore. Which is funny, as sometimes I think the camera is broken when in reality I don't press the shutter but the camera body next to it.

Gloves: I use whatever gloves I currently have for skiing, almost exclusively GoreTex ones. If it os really cold, I add an inner layer glove. Merino wool ones are nice, I sweat less with those than fleeze ones.

Backpack: Whatever backpack I have for with me, or for camera stuff. Backpacks neither melt not do they freeze solid. And if they support rain, the absolutely have no problem with snow.

Cold and snow do not require any new gear, besides cold weather clothing if you don't have any. And even then, just take skiing or hiking stuff.

Back