Wichita Mountains

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RGS

The Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in SW Oklahoma is a place that always surprises folks who haven't been to Oklahoma. It's one of our little secrets. This is a mixed-grass prairie that has never been plowed and low granite mountains. The area was once revered by the Commanche, Kiowa, and Apache. It's a beautiful and rugged landscape.

157.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

4976-Edit-Edit.jpg

835.jpg

1906 -  147.jpg

6736.jpg

Great shots. From a place I might never have imagined. Thanks for broadening my horizons and including details such as "a mixed-grass prairie that has never been plowed and low granite mountains. The area was once revered by the Commanche, Kiowa, and Apache." I'm reading Michener's "Centennial" in which he paints a picture of the West with details just like that with Commanches, Utes, & Cheyennes among others.

Richard, great shots all, but the first one, at least to me is OUTSTANDING! It is a beautiful area. Well captured.

Thank you, Bill. Glad you like them. That first one is a scan from a 35mm Kodachrome 25 shot. It was made in the early 80s on a Pentax MX and what was, at the time, a brand new 200mm lens. It's been a long-time favorite of mine.

Great shots. From a place I might never have imagined. Thanks for broadening my horizons and including details such as "a mixed-grass prairie that has never been plowed and low granite mountains. The area was once revered by the Commanche, Kiowa, and Apache." I'm reading Michener's "Centennial" in which he paints a picture of the West with details just like that with Commanches, Utes, & Cheyennes among others.

Thank you. The Wichita Mountains have been a favorite destination for me for many years.

Love the pics. What a gorgeous lizard! Picturesque area. As someone else mentioned already, very unexpected for Oklahoma. I think of flatland as far as eye can see. Thanks for showing us these well done shots.

Back