Wildlife to look for in San Francisco end of Jul/beginning of Aug

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was anyone that could offer advice on what is about in any of the parks/shoreline in San Franciso at the end of Jul/beginning of Aug... will be staying near the presidio park... heard about point reyes for bobcats and coyotes which would be very cool but not sure I will have the time to get out there... working on that now, and if anyone could suggest a tour to see point reyes or an easy way to get there that would be appreciated too... many thanks in advance...

Point Reyes is beautiful National Seashore to see a variety of wildlife, hawks and falcons, songbirds, Thule elk, bobcats, coyotes, seals, many others, along with the stunningly beautiful landscape. Pt. Reyes is less than 1.5 hour drive north of the Presidio. I would recommend contacting Daniel Dietrich of Point Reyes Safaris. He and his guides provide half and full day tours of Pt Reyes to observe the wildlife. Let them know what you are interested in seeing, they know where to look, no guarantees but still fun and you will see many different types of wildlife as well as learning about the natural history of Pt Reyes. I took one of these tours three years ago, wonderful experience. I visit Pt Reyes regularly on my own, two times last week, saw bobcats both times, coyotes, elk, many types of birds small and large. If you have the time, definitely worth the effort to visit.

In the streets? Plenty of wilding, but if you are looking for wildlife Point Reyes is tops. If you want to drive south, Ano Neuvo - the elephant seals will be molting, and of course there is always Monterey for seals, otters, pelicans, etc. Where you're staying, just be careful with your gear.

CarlM is spot on about Pt. Reyes and Daniel can get you straight to good spots to shoot. I've gone out with him as well. I'd add the Pt. Reyes river otters to the list (Daniel posted a video of the river otters killing pelicans in the estuary, pretty amazing) and if there are any great horned owls about, he'll probably know where. Pt. Reyes is a bit of a drive from the city. Not a lot of shooting in the city where I occasionally go to visit family. There's usually a flock of escaped parrots (cherry headed conures) down by the Ferry Building, and plenty of sea lion action at the various piers, maybe a sea otter or two. You could also try the Dom Edwards National Wildlife Reserve. I've never shot there in August. If you go, let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions... I'll look up Daniel Dietrich and work something out... thanks also for the heads up re safety... does time of day mate a difference to that..?

Thank you all for your suggestions... I'll look up Daniel Dietrich and work something out... thanks also for the heads up re safety... does time of day mate a difference to that..?
SF is a very different city today than in years gone by. Be careful at all times with expensive gear. If you are unsure you won’t have a place to lock it up or have to leave it in a car, then get photography insurance. I started a long thread on that.

There isn’t exactly an epidemic of muggings at Golden Gate Park. I’ve had dozens of photography outings there without an issue. I can’t think of a time I even felt unsafe. Avoid the Palace of Fine Arts during peak wedding photography times because it definitely is a hotspot for camera theft. I’ll only go there very early in the morning when I assume most stickup artists are sleeping in.

I collected a few of my favorite SF Bay Area spots on my website here, but note a lot of the birds migrate away for the summer (most ducks, most shorebirds). https://jacquesfortierart.com/locations/

Palo Alto Baylands is worth a visit most times of year. Mount Davidson is good for Wilson’s warblers and wrens, as is the Presidio.

The SCV Audubon and Golden Gate Bird Alliance websites both have good descriptions of birding hotspots, but not all of them work for photography.

Highly recommend a tour with Daniel Dietrich, but I’d book soon because he’s a popular guide. It’s well worth the drive to Point Reyes and he’ll do everything ethically possible to get you at least one bucket list experience. July and especially August is Tule Elk rut season, so there’s all kinds of excitement with them.

There isn’t exactly an epidemic of muggings at Golden Gate Park. I’ve had dozens of photography outings there without an issue. I can’t think of a time I even felt unsafe. Avoid the Palace of Fine Arts during peak wedding photography times because it definitely is a hotspot for camera theft. I’ll only go there very early in the morning when I assume most stickup artists are sleeping in.

I collected a few of my favorite SF Bay Area spots on my website here, but note a lot of the birds migrate away for the summer (most ducks, most shorebirds). https://jacquesfortierart.com/locations/

Palo Alto Baylands is worth a visit most times of year. Mount Davidson is good for Wilson’s warblers and wrens, as is the Presidio.

The SCV Audubon and Golden Gate Bird Alliance websites both have good descriptions of birding hotspots, but not all of them work for photography.

Highly recommend a tour with Daniel Dietrich, but I’d book soon because he’s a popular guide. It’s well worth the drive to Point Reyes and he’ll do everything ethically possible to get you at least one bucket list experience. July and especially August is Tule Elk rut season, so there’s all kinds of excitement with them.
Brilliant thanks for the info... now to talk the wife into me doing a day trip... 😁

Back