Will Steve sell his kit ? AP predicts Nikon bankruptcy ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If your gear serves your purpose why sell, may as well wear it out and get your use out of it. No company is too big to sink but the point of your gear being unsupportable or unrepairable will be years after.

I made the switch from Canon to Nikon because their product worked best for what my main use case became. By the time we see any potential fallout IF Nikon go down mirrorless will be much more advanced and I'll be looking to move anyhow.

Last edited:
I remember that the Angry photographer was well wrong in predicting with info from an inside source, that the forthcoming new Fuji camera was going to be a B&W only camera, but then the X100v came out.....

Maybe Steve is in the know already...he just bought some Sony gear. ticking time 💣....just stirring the pot :).

I really am not worried. All the camera manufactures are struggling. Nikon has said in recent earning reports it is making adjustments in staff and facilities to reduce costs. Some will see this as the ship is sinking but the reality is its measures they are taking to keep the ship afloat by adjusting labor and production to meet current and near future demands. They have also said that their strategy is to focus on the professional and serious amateur market (most of us here would fall into one of these) which will see a reduction in total sales. You have to remember the huge declines seen by Nikon and others is the consumer cameras which have been devastated by iPhones and the such. So they are focusing on lower unit sales however in the professional market which is likely a much higher profit margin. You will make a lot more selling a $12K lens or $6500 camera than you will the Walmart special for $399.

Once these changes are made things will stabilize. I suspect in the near future Nikon will see growth as the continue to develop the Z line which will create a desire for those of us shooting F mount will want to upgrade. This is their core market which is why Nikon has done a great job continuing to support the F mount system with the 500PF, updated E lenses, the 120-300 and the like. I expect to see an updated D500 and D850 which will help extend the life of the F mount cameras until the Z system is checking enough boxes for the diehards to switch. Keep in mind they still make new F6 cameras. Nikon has a history of supporting pros and their legacy products better than anyone. That comes at a price to Nikon but a real advantage to the consumer which builds brand loyalty.

There is so much patented things from Nikon that somebody will buy the bankruptcy for a cheap price and redevelop the company... we do not talk about Kodak that ignore the trend of the market, but about Nikon who is a fondamental player in professional photography... and from the Angry photographer... 🥴

There is a fundamental difference between going bankrupt and going out of business.

Bankruptcy just means a cash flow problem - you can’t pay your bills on time. It is a temporary protection from debtors. Lots of successful companies went through this phase and re-emerge stronger.

The fact of the matter is that every camera maker is fighting for a slice of the pie that’s getting smaller and smaller by the day - iphones are eating their lunch.

My Nikons will last me a long time to come. My Nikons are 100 times better than Ansel Adams’ cameras. His pictures are 100 times better than mine.

Stop worrying. Keep making photographs.

There is a fundamental difference between going bankrupt and going out of business.

Bankruptcy just means a cash flow problem - you can’t pay your bills on time. It is a temporary protection from debtors. Lots of successful companies went through this phase and re-emerge stronger.

The fact of the matter is that every camera maker is fighting for a slice of the pie that’s getting smaller and smaller by the day - iphones are eating their lunch.

My Nikons will last me a long time to come. My Nikons are 100 times better than Ansel Adams’ cameras. His pictures are 100 times better than mine.

Stop worrying. Keep making photographs.

Yes, you’re correct. Just because a company files for bankruptcy doesn’t mean they go through with it and it doesn’t mean they’re going out of business. It could merely give them a year to get their stuff together and then they pull it at the last minute. It’s a loop whole that a lot of businesses have used to get debtors off their back until they can restructure and make things more efficient. Good comment.

1. If I had a dollar (well - maybe $10) for every time I'd read of Nikon's demise, I could buy myself some seriously good glass, and
2. If Nikon does go belly-up (or more likely, be bought by another company), my D850 and associated glass will continue to work.

Certainly is not a problem for me and even if Nikon does fold there'll be a repair and maintenance vacuum that will be filled. All those tech guys around the world out of a job? I don't think so. Nikon gear will continue to function and probably see most of us out. Other point is that with rumours one always needs to consider the credibility of the source.

Back