Winter Barn - Platteville, CO

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
220203 Platteville Barn MERGE DSC_5084 MERGE ON1280.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
220203 Platteville Barn MERGE DSC_5089 ON1200.jpg
220203 Platteville Barn Finished 5255-5257 MERGE ON1200.jpg
220203 Platteville Barn PANO B CROP 5106-MERGE ON1200.jpg

Thanks Steve. Interesting combination of conditions. -17F which is not too common at this location, trees coated in ice, mist /fog rising from the stream the cottonwoods thrive on, morning sun breaking through a fog. I'm with you on the ghost trees! It was surreal.

Thanks Steve. Interesting combination of conditions. -17F which is not too common at this location, trees coated in ice, mist /fog rising from the stream the cottonwoods thrive on, morning sun breaking through a fog. I'm with you on the ghost trees! It was surreal.
Love how these shots simply say COLD!

Recently was shooting Landscapes at -17 degrees F. No way could have done it for as long as I did without this Soft Tipped "No Touch" Device from Office Max. Works on the D850 Live View Screen & Back Buttons and big enough to use with gloves. The only benefit of Covid I'm aware of.
IMG_2203.jpg

beautiful set. I really like image number 3. I may have cropped it a little differently however it is a terrific photo.
Thanks, Jeff. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the crop. All the shots are cropped from a much broader panorama. That provides a lot of options that's not necessarily a good thing & I often go back and forth. In the third image, I Liked the depth provided by the corral remnants on the right side & stretched it further right to include the cottonwood. When I set the left to include the cottonwood, it put the barn near the center. I also thought this perspective accentuated the leaning of the tree with the leaning of the falling down barn. I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks, Jeff. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the crop. All the shots are cropped from a much broader panorama. That provides a lot of options that's not necessarily a good thing & I often go back and forth. In the third image, I Liked the depth provided by the corral remnants on the right side & stretched it further right to include the cottonwood. When I set the left to include the cottonwood, it put the barn near the center. I also thought this perspective accentuated the leaning of the tree with the leaning of the falling down barn. I look forward to your thoughts.
Malcolm,
I don't want to butcher up your image. This is kind of what I was thinking. What I did was change the aspect ration to 16:9 which keeps the panorama look you were after. I deleted the road with the dirty snow and edited out the "No Trespassing" sign. That sign may have been part of the look you were after and I debated not removing it but did just to show what I was thinking of.

Overall I really like the image, love the stark contrast between the barn and the loneliness of the frozen prairie surrounding it. It really spoke to me. I just found the dirty snow on the road to be distracting from the feel the image gave me.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Edit1.jpg

Thanks, Ken. I'd appreciate any comments you might have on the crop, as well.
I agree with Jeff's comments about the dirty snow on the road. I can go either way about the sign, but I like the three-tone look of the image without the sign. And 16:9 does work for this image, but may be hard to frame. I suspect this would look good in acrylic or on metal.

--Ken

Malcolm,
I don't want to butcher up your image. This is kind of what I was thinking. What I did was change the aspect ration to 16:9 which keeps the panorama look you were after. I deleted the road with the dirty snow and edited out the "No Trespassing" sign. That sign may have been part of the look you were after and I debated not removing it but did just to show what I was thinking of.

Overall I really like the image, love the stark contrast between the barn and the loneliness of the frozen prairie surrounding it. It really spoke to me. I just found the dirty snow on the road to be distracting from the feel the image gave me.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
View attachment 32292
I totally agree. From my comments you see I focussed on left & right. I shoot with the camera's long access vertical (Portrait) and blend multiple panels into a panorama so the aspect ratio is quite variable. Cleaning up the bottom makes a significant difference. Thanks so much!

I agree with Jeff's comments about the dirty snow on the road. I can go either way about the sign, but I like the three-tone look of the image without the sign. And 16:9 does work for this image, but may be hard to frame. I suspect this would look good in acrylic or on metal.

--Ken
Thanks, Ken. Interested in your acrylic or metal suggestion. I've done a limited number on metal which I really like and agree it would be good for this. I've done more on acrylic. I've become less enthusiastic about acrylic due to the reflectivity. I find them quite difficult to display. What's your experience?

Thanks, Ken. Interested in your acrylic or metal suggestion. I've done a limited number on metal which I really like and agree it would be good for this. I've done more on acrylic. I've become less enthusiastic about acrylic due to the reflectivity. I find them quite difficult to display. What's your experience?
Agreed, they are highly reflective and do need to be placed somewhere where they will not be blasted by a light source. I have four 10x15 pieces in a corner of our dining room where they get little light. They look nice there. Hallways are often a good location too. At least you can get metal in a matte finish or a lustre-style finish to knock down some of the glare.

--Ken

Back