Winter gloves

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m into R&D for new winter gloves.
The one from B&H that open up the thump & index fingers, are worth noting when its cold outside. Below 45f.

Heavy snow gloves are great to keep my hands and fingers warm, but impossible to use a camera with it.

What else is out there?
Any recommendations, I would appreciate 🙏

Personally, I use gloves from The Heat Company. Winters don't get too overly harsh over here, so most of the time I get by with just the liners. When it gets too cold for just that, I pop a heat pad into them. That covers pretty much all situations for me.

I use lightweight touchscreen hunting gloves paired with hand warmers in my pockets and spend four to five hours out in 20* Fahrenheit temps without cold finger issues. However, the Z9 + 400 f/4.5 is held in a ThinkTank Digital Holster so my hands can stay warm in coat pockets with the hand warmers when not shooting.

All really depends but I have several gloves:

And also use these:

And have even got mittens that are oversized so they even fit over the above.

I’m into R&D for new winter gloves.
The one from B&H that open up the thump & index fingers, are worth noting when its cold outside. Below 45f.

Heavy snow gloves are great to keep my hands and fingers warm, but impossible to use a camera with it.

What else is out there?
Any recommendations, I would appreciate 🙏
As a guy from Buffalo, NY, I’ve been on the same quest for years, and the best solution I’ve found are cheap ($20) camo glove liners from Cabela’s coupled with those same fleece outer gloves from B&H that you refer to in your post. The liners have touch sensitive tips on the index finger and thumb, so that I don’t have to remove them for my camera controls. This combo works pretty well in most cold situations, but when it’s really cold outside I use a heavier outer glove that I have to remove when shooting.

IMG_0817.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0818.jpeg

Last edited:
I use cheap fleece liner gloves that I get from a sporting goods chain. They're about 3$ a pair, they are light and you can operate a camera (bar the touchscreen) easily with them.

They can keep my hands confy down to about 14F.

They will get wet but it takes some time and being cheap and small, I keep 3 pairs in my backpack and a 3 more pairs in the car and just switch them on a need basis.

Bonus, I often get to hand a pair to photographers who didn't think through the ide of using a metal alloy object in the cold with their bare hands :).

Ive used these for years and have zero complaints. Sometimes I just wear the liner glove with some heat packs in them or in my pockets. For extreme cold I will use the shell. I will also use a hand warmer with some heat packs inside which works very well with minimal hand protection.

I have a bit of a glove habit, so when I first read about gloves made for photographers I set out to get me a pair. After considerable reading, which I tend to do before buying something, I ordered a pair of Vallerret gloves. I think I’ve worn them once or twice in the 6-7 years since. Maybe I‘ll track them down for this winter; in fact, they do sort of make sense with a tripod or monopod now that I have a lens too heavy to handhold all the time.

EDIT: As a tip I learned using winter gloves on my motorcycle, think about wearing a thin liner inside. Makes it easier/possible to slip heavy gloves on and off when your hands are damp and cold.

I use a pair of Vallerret for semi cold. I did buy a pair The Heat Company liner/shell system for my up coming trip to Yellowstone in January. I haven’t used them yet in cold weather but the quality looks great and I’ve tried using them with my camera and I believe I can make them work. I have to be ready for a low of -20F so I felt I needed more than a thin fleece. Anyway, worth checking THC out.

It really depends on the conditions in which you will use them. Just HOW cold will it be? Raining? Snowing? I got a pair of Vallerret gloves for both my husband and I before our winter trip to Iceland. They have a pouch for a hand warmer when needed. They did a great job there and in Yellowstone during a very, very cold snow mobile trip years ago. A pair of thin liners inside the gloves is also handy.

Today's "DealZone" at BH, $30 off.... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1580035-REG/rucpac_ruetgl_extreme_tech_gloves_large.html

I have no idea how they perform. I've been on the hunt for warm gloves for years, I have poor circulation and my extremities always "freeze", lived in Colorado for 30 years and bought everything from super expensive to cheap gloves and none of them seemed to work well when temperatures got really low. I've since moved to a much warmer climate and my extremities are thanking me for it, but I sit here writing this wearing my fleece lined pants because it's in the 30's here right now... in Florida! :D

Many of my motorcycle buddies swear by Gerbing battery-powered gloves (and socks, long johns, etc.). You’ll need a power source to plug them into, of course. I’m the Luddite in the group, I suppose, and stick with the layering approach to cold weather protection. That said, my seat and grips are heated, though.

Any recommendations,
Some previous BCG threads on the glove topic:

Through everything but the most extreme cold days in Northern Minnesota I use a pair of 20 dollar woolen gloves with a thinsulate lining from Amazon. They give me a good grip of my Z6II and keep my hands warm as long as the temperature does not dive below zero (F) and even then will often do - unless there is much snow or wind. They do wear, however, so I usually go through 2 pair in a winter.

Last edited:
I agree the gloves from the Heat Company are my favorite. I used them in Antarctica this year and they kept me warm and yet I had no issues in using my different camera equipment. I have liners as well as the waterproof mitts.

I found a pair of heated thin gloves I use as liners w/ the heat system. I turn off the battery when Ihave the over mitt on (generally have a chemical heat packs in the over mitts). As the over mitt comes off and turn the battery on in the liner. i get an extra set of batteries for each. Another alternative is the g-tech heated muff. Boy does it warm in the muff.

I have used this system in 0 F weather in MN and near Ottawa last winter

My hands are the most cold sensitive and toughest to keep warm. Here in New England it can get pretty raw. 5 finger gloves don’t do it for me and mittens certainly don’t work for photographers.
My solution. OP “flurry sensor “ 5 finger gloves tucked into Hestra 3 finger xc- ski gloves. Warmth and trigger finger flexibility.

C8DFD812-8783-43D9-8BFE-8ED309F3206B.jpeg

My hands are the most cold sensitive and toughest to keep warm. Here in New England it can get pretty raw. 5 finger gloves don’t do it for me and mittens certainly don’t work for photographers.
My solution. OP “flurry sensor “ 5 finger gloves tucked into Hestra 3 finger xc- ski gloves. Warmth and trigger finger flexibility.

View attachment 73683
btw, the Hestra 3 finger xc-ski gloves at or just above freezing without the liners are great. Control and trigger ease of use.

Back