Winter gloves

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love my Vallerret photography gloves. Those Norwegians know how to deal with cold.

I’m into R&D for new winter gloves.
The one from B&H that open up the thump & index fingers, are worth noting when its cold outside. Below 45f.

Heavy snow gloves are great to keep my hands and fingers warm, but impossible to use a camera with it.

What else is out there?
Any recommendations, I would appreciate 🙏
Hi Joel. This isn't a specific recommendation but something learned from years of working outdoors in the cold with lots of different tools.

A key factor is whether you are trying to stop the air temperature from sapping the heat from your hands or are you concerned about the temperature of you camera drawing away the heat from your hands and fingers. Even of winter days when the sun is relative warm holding a cold camera (or hammer or wrench or tripod) can make the rest of your body.

In many cases the gloves you wear to tote gear out on a cold day will be too heavy or just too warm to wear while shooting. Mountain climbing gear usually covers all the bases for human functionality in cold environments. Gortex/merino wool liners and heavier outer liners in combination usually will take care of anything you have to deal with. No glove will keep your fingers from freezing in extreme cold because heat escapes between your fingers. Mittens are required for prolonged exposure to extreme cold. All good modern glove liners can be had with touch sensitive fingers to operate devices. If a glove will work a cell phone touch screen it will operate your camera touch screen. Regular cloth gloves generally will not work on a touch screen.

Cold and wet and cold and sweat are also factors that can effect whether the gloves you buy will continue to provide warmth if your hands get wet from snow or from sweating from being too warm.

The only thing worse that being in the outdoors with no warm protective clothing is being in the outdoors wearing clothing that no longer keeps you warm when it gets wet and starts wicking off your body heat to the environment. Wool retains body heat even when wet. Straight polyester is worthless even when dry. Merino wool is the best I know of out there right now but of course there are other types of wool blends also.

Read up on merino wool is you want light, soft, comfortable and warm gloves whether wet or dry. I'm sure some of the gloves that others have recommended use merino wool.

The rest is a matter of the tasks you will be performing and how long your exposure to the elements which gloves to purchase.

I use cheap fleece liner gloves that I get from a sporting goods chain. They're about 3$ a pair, they are light and you can operate a camera (bar the touchscreen) easily with them.

They can keep my hands confy down to about 14F.

They will get wet but it takes some time and being cheap and small, I keep 3 pairs in my backpack and a 3 more pairs in the car and just switch them on a need basis.

Bonus, I often get to hand a pair to photographers who didn't think through the ide of using a metal alloy object in the cold with their bare hands :).
Possible to post an amazon link?
Thank you

So far I learned to use gloves in 2 parts. A liner with screen touch , and a glove.
Which liner? Link?

The Vallerret Markhof V3 Gloves, has the same finger opening the fleece gloves have. How can it keep warm?!

Here is an up-to-date review of your main options

Thank you for linking this website.
It’s updated, and gave me a good understanding to help make a good decision.
I’m still PTSD from our Conowingo trip almost a year ago, it was 8 Fahrenheit in the morning, I almost lost my fingers… lol.

In the winter I often go to the local lakes, full of life to photograph, but open and windy feeling in the single digits. Those 20-45 minutes, I need my hands to be warm and functional.

For the rest of my body, I geared up with appropriate clothing bought at a local REI.

Thank you everyone for your input.
I have a B&H wish list filled with different ideas.
I am leaning towards the heat system, just undecided between the different liners. I like the idea of the marina wool because I sweat.

Will see how it turns out… keep you posted

I also have to make sure the gloves doesn't have shatnez (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatnez)
I am allergic to sheeps wool and have found alpaca wool to do very well, used to live next door to alpaca farm and was shocked at how well that worked to keep warm. I have alpaca socks that do very well to keep my usually frozen feet warmer than with other types of socks.

I realize the Jewish law doesn't allow for the blend, and most alpaca wool products seem to be pure, just a thought.

I find multiple types of gloves useful, as how cold it is varies. As well as other conditions — wind, snow, rain. Your own reaction to cold, and seasonal conditioning to it, can also vary. I live in Minnesota and do winter photography here, as well as in other cold places. So I am often looking for the right gloves and mittens.

When it is cool, but not too cold (for me this is in the 30s F), I have a light pair of Manzela goretex infinium gloves. The goretex blocks wind. The finger tips do not fold back, but they are light enough that it is easy to operate a camera (Z9, Z8, Z7II) with them on. They have touch sensitive finger tips (not really a feature I use outdoors in winter). You may also be able to use glove liners in these conditions — I have some merino ones I like (from the Heat Company).

I also have some Sealskinz and Outdoor Research mittens which fold back to reveal thumb and finger tips. They are warmer than the Manzela gloves and work pretty well in moderate cold.

For significantly colder conditions, I often use a pair of Outdoor Research gloves with a shell overmitten (which I don't always need) sold as a set. The gloves have a synthetic insulation (primaloft, I think). Light in weight, but warm and block wind. Again, the finger tips do not fold back. (I like this fact, as my hands stay warmer when using the camera if my finder tips are not exposed.) But I can easily work camera controls (again, a Z9, Z8 and Z7II) with them on. I used them last November on Hudson Bay. Ambient temps were as low as -15 F, with windchills down to -35 F. I was comfortable on 3-4 hour outings where we walked/hiked to look for polar bears and Arctic foxes. I also had handwarmers with me, as noted below, and warm boots, hat, neck gaiter, down parka and down pants.

I also have a pair of Vallerret gloves. Warm, but only the thumb and index finger tips fold back, which is not ideal — I would like at least one more tip to fold back. Vallerret may have other models that do this. They are heavy enough that they do not work well with camera controls without folding back the thumb & finger tips.

For really cold conditions, I have a set of Heat Company glove liners, mittens and overmittens. A bit spendy, but well made and warm. They have a number of models. Given the OR gloves I mentioned above, I’m finding I do not use the Heat Company system as much as I thought I would. But again, they are very warm and well made.

I bought a pair of electric-warmed gloves on the recommendation of someone on a winter trip. Warm while batteries last (1-2 hours, depending on settings), but this particular pair does not block wind. So not as useful as I had hoped.

On cold days I often take handwarmers. Either the chemical ones (based on the oxidation of iron) or electronic ones (recommended by the leader of my Hudson Bay trip). They help when your hands get cold even with gloves/mittens on. Depending on the
gloves/mittens, you can sometimes put the chemical ones in the gloves/mittens, which can be nice.

Keeping the rest of you warm helps too. But I find it is often the hands that get cold first.

Good luck with your choice.

I find multiple types of gloves useful, as how cold it is varies. As well as other conditions — wind, snow, rain. Your own reaction to cold, and seasonal conditioning to it, can also vary. I live in Minnesota and do winter photography here, as well as in other cold places. So I am often looking for the right gloves and mittens.

When it is cool, but not too cold (for me this is in the 30s F), I have a light pair of Manzela goretex infinium gloves. The goretex blocks wind. The finger tips do not fold back, but they are light enough that it is easy to operate a camera (Z9, Z8, Z7II) with them on. They have touch sensitive finger tips (not really a feature I use outdoors in winter). You may also be able to use glove liners in these conditions — I have some merino ones I like (from the Heat Company).

I also have some Sealskinz and Outdoor Research mittens which fold back to reveal thumb and finger tips. They are warmer than the Manzela gloves and work pretty well in moderate cold.

For significantly colder conditions, I often use a pair of Outdoor Research gloves with a shell overmitten (which I don't always need) sold as a set. The gloves have a synthetic insulation (primaloft, I think). Light in weight, but warm and block wind. Again, the finger tips do not fold back. (I like this fact, as my hands stay warmer when using the camera if my finder tips are not exposed.) But I can easily work camera controls (again, a Z9, Z8 and Z7II) with them on. I used them last November on Hudson Bay. Ambient temps were as low as -15 F, with windchills down to -35 F. I was comfortable on 3-4 hour outings where we walked/hiked to look for polar bears and Arctic foxes. I also had handwarmers with me, as noted below, and warm boots, hat, neck gaiter, down parka and down pants.

I also have a pair of Vallerret gloves. Warm, but only the thumb and index finger tips fold back, which is not ideal — I would like at least one more tip to fold back. Vallerret may have other models that do this. They are heavy enough that they do not work well with camera controls without folding back the thumb & finger tips.

For really cold conditions, I have a set of Heat Company glove liners, mittens and overmittens. A bit spendy, but well made and warm. They have a number of models. Given the OR gloves I mentioned above, I’m finding I do not use the Heat Company system as much as I thought I would. But again, they are very warm and well made.

I bought a pair of electric-warmed gloves on the recommendation of someone on a winter trip. Warm while batteries last (1-2 hours, depending on settings), but this particular pair does not block wind. So not as useful as I had hoped.

On cold days I often take handwarmers. Either the chemical ones (based on the oxidation of iron) or electronic ones (recommended by the leader of my Hudson Bay trip). They help when your hands get cold even with gloves/mittens on. Depending on the
gloves/mittens, you can sometimes put the chemical ones in the gloves/mittens, which can be nice.

Keeping the rest of you warm helps too. But I find it is often the hands that get cold first.

Good luck with your choice.
Are referring to this?

Possible to post an amazon link?
Thank you
Not amazon, but they seem to be in the USA as well. These :

Not amazon, but they seem to be in the USA as well. These :

Thank you for the link.

After alot of research, I ordered from B&H the The Heat Company Durable Liner PRO Gloves (Size 9) “As a starting point”
From there, I will be able to compare, and get an understanding if its too thick as a stand alone glove, how good I can operate the Z9 or Z8, etc.

I also need a glove to walk/exercise Outdoors (Gotta get the weight down…) For that matter I need a glove that would be warm and allow the sweat to escape. I do occasionally take along a lens, but my focus has to be about a workout and sweat management

Are referring to this?

I went back to check. I believe they are Mount Baker Goretex Mittens with Primaloft liners. I use the liners a lot.

Last edited:
I’m into R&D for new winter gloves.
The one from B&H that open up the thump & index fingers, are worth noting when its cold outside. Below 45f.

Heavy snow gloves are great to keep my hands and fingers warm, but impossible to use a camera with it.

What else is out there?
Any recommendations, I would appreciate 🙏
I haven't played golf in the cold in a long time but your question reminded me that I always have at least one type of foul weather golf gloves in the bag. Usually one pair that does nothing more than allow me positive grip with both hands when it rains so the club doesn't fly out of my hands and hurt someone and a heavier pair for when I simply want warm hands when, like an idiot, I stay on the course when it's cold instead of going inside where it's warm.

As an fyi, golf gloves sold in pairs labeled rain gloves are very light weight fabric gloves that provide a nonslip grip to rubber things like golf grips and camera bodies better when they get wet than they do when they are dry.

Even the heaviest, warmest winter golf gloves are thin, warm and very tactile to allow you feel whatever you are handling.

For non golfers keep in mind that regular golf gloves are sold individual. A right handed golfer wears a glove on their left hand and none on the right for example. Winter and rain golf gloves come in pairs with both a right and left hand glove. Be careful becasue sometimes regular golf gloves come in pairs but are both the same handed. A left hand and right hand regular golf glove bought seperately would provide great feel for photography if that was ones only option.

Almost every name brand golf glove offers excellent gripping texture and sensitive feel. I'm actually kind of surprised that this type of gloves hasn't been relabeled as a camera glove. Here's an article that describes some of the options but there are also other brands out there if these don't work for you.

Here's an article telling more about some the options available.

I bought this and I'm happy so far.
1537481.jpg

The Heat Company Durable Liner PRO Gloves (Size 9)
and
1314121.jpg

The Heat Company SHELL Mittens (Size 10, Black)
My observations in 18 degrees F. I was warm and able to use a camera. the touch sensitivity of the glove isn't the best, even for an iPhone.
--
I returned

1477181.jpg

The Heat Company Polartec Merino Glove Liners (Size 8-9)
For the blue color and the texture logos, it was impossible to use the car steering wheel. besides the fact, it's not warm at all!

IMG_7720.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back