Would like to have name and home location as part of name/avator

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
When I click someone's name in a post it would be nice to know their real name, not the screen name. Some people put their name in a signature along with a flag, but not everyone.

I would address a comment to their name versus the avator/screen name. Am I the only one who feels this way? Steve - how hard would this be to implement? (BTW I forgot how to flag a person in a message - can someone remind me).

Thanks

On the second part, type the ‘@‘ symbol then their screen name as you write your post to refer to them in a way that they’ll get a notification.

On the true name part, we don’t force true names here but it is nice to answer folks with their actual names. IOW, it’s nice when folks share at least a first name in their signature or otherwise but this site doesn’t require it.

A general geographic home location would be good.

I am on the fence about actual names. There are a lot of trolls and bots that can do a correlation between name and location. If people volunteer their information it’s their choice, but I am not a fan of requiring it.
First names?

On the second part, type the ‘@‘ symbol then their screen name as you write your post to refer to them in a way that they’ll get a notification.

On the true name part, we don’t force true names here but it is nice to answer folks with their actual names. IOW, it’s nice when folks share at least a first name in their signature or otherwise but this site doesn’t require it.
Agree. I occasionally learn the real name and then forget just as quickly

In my case, my first name should be obvious

I prefer to have the choice of staying private if I want to I am providing a lot of information in this forum about my assets and activities. There are a lot of people with malign intent out in the general internet community and I would not want my personal information to get in the wrong hands.

I do feel this forum is well-managed and I feel safe here. Part of the reason I feel safe is because I can remain private and only share personal details on an individual basis.

I of course do provide personal information to the forum administrators.

When I click someone's name in a post it would be nice to know their real name, not the screen name.
I have no problem with the system as it is, nor with who I am.

What the robots and other 'bad guys' want to know is my phone number and email address.

… David
db.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: seh
Although I agree it would be nice to know everyone's name / location, we aren't going to require anything like that - as you can see, many people prefer to remain anonymous. And that's absolutely fine and I respect their wishes.

Any time you force someone to give info (even just a first name), it can make them pull back and not sign up or participate. As Dave says, if people want to make their name or location public, just pop it in the signature file :)

When I click someone's name in a post it would be nice to know their real name, not the screen name. Some people put their name in a signature along with a flag, but not everyone.

I would address a comment to their name versus the avator/screen name. Am I the only one who feels this way? Steve - how hard would this be to implement? (BTW I forgot how to flag a person in a message - can someone remind me).

Thanks
I remain anonymous so that you can’t come looking for me in Buffalo, NY! 🥴

Deep Throat (aka Clark)

I wouldn't mind an opt in for it. Sometimes it would be convenient to call someone by their name rather than screen name but it would have to be voluntary

Bill

Tbh the more info any site collects and users, the bigger problem it is for them to keep it secure. ID thieves are adept at matching data from multiple sources to increase the range of data they hold about individuals, cost of security can be high, better to not hold info that isnt needed to be held.

Although I agree it would be nice to know everyone's name / location, we aren't going to require anything like that - as you can see, many people prefer to remain anonymous. And that's absolutely fine and I respect their wishes.

Any time you force someone to give info (even just a first name), it can make them pull back and not sign up or participate. As Dave says, if people want to make their name or location public, just pop it in the signature file :)
Sounds like great advice.

When I'm responding to a private message from a forum member, especially one who I have seen around for a while, I will sign with my real name. Also, when I'm communicating with Steve or any of the moderators, I will use my real name in the private message. Having retired from a 36 year career in the IT industry with several of those years in IT Security, the less public info we provide the better. Fact is, even with screen names, most of us *me included* already provide a lot of info.

Rich I added my name. Good suggestion.
Yeah Michael,…. Kinda thought addressing you as “barking beans” was weird… wife asks, “who’s that you’re commenting to?” , ” barking beans….” “Is he in the witness protection program?” So she gets a kick out of the names we use…. “Does coffee make him phart?” 🤣 “No, he’s a regular cool guy!” She thinks we’re into the secret squirrel thing….

Yeah Michael,…. Kinda thought addressing you as “barking beans” was weird… wife asks, “who’s that you’re commenting to?” , ” barking beans….” “Is he in the witness protection program?” So she gets a kick out of the names we use…. “Does coffee make him phart?” 🤣 “No, he’s a regular cool guy!” She thinks we’re into the secret squirrel thing….
LFMAO. Not squirrels, but named after the best dog I ever had.
IMG_0885.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I changed my screen name from first initial and last name to now first name and last initial. Not near as creative as some but knowing first name makes it a little more personal.
A similar thread made me realize my first initial along with a last name and then providing a state and or city made me to findable for someone who wants to steal a lot of expensive gear so I mixed it up. With google, public tax records and work it was to much risk.
Something to think about.

Back