Would you use the Nikon Plena for humming birds in CR?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

None of the hummers we saw in August on Steve’s trip were anywhere close to being in reach for the Plenao get any sort of size in the frame I was either using the 600PF or the 100-400 towards the long end. I had my 24-70 along and it never came out of the bag. The wider aperture is nice…but I think it will mostly just be too darn short to be useful.

With hummers I use flash 100% of the time even if it is a single camera mounted speeflight that provides fill lighting. A zoom is nearly always my first choice and the only primes I have used in CR were the 600mm f/4 super telephoto and the 200mm f/4 macro lens. I like to crop with the zoom lens when taking a shot and not to crop in post processing.

Fill flash reveals the colors of the hummers and also helps with separation from what are often bright backgrounds.

Back