XQD Card Reader not showing in Finder on Macs with Apple silicon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum. Pardon me if this is not the right place to bring up such matters.

I am dead in the water and my Nikon Z7II is useless because my Sony XQD Card Reader (MRW-E90) doesn't work any more on my new Mac Mini (M2 Pro chip, Sonoma 14.2), my Macbook Air (M2) or my wife's iMac (M1 chip). It shows up in the System Report but does not show up in Finder (with all the options enabled).

Several people have reported this on the web but no solutions are forthcoming. This card reader worked fine on my old iMac (with Intel chip). Has anybody here encountered this? Do you know of any XQD Card Reader that works on machines with Apple silicon?

Pathy

As suggested, use the cable directly. You could try WiFi with SnapBridge for JPEG’s - for raw files it’s way too slow.
Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum. Pardon me if this is not the right place to bring up such matters.

I am dead in the water and my Nikon Z7II is useless because my Sony XQD Card Reader (MRW-E90) doesn't work any more on my new Mac Mini (M2 Pro chip, Sonoma 14.2), my Macbook Air (M2) or my wife's iMac (M1 chip). It shows up in the System Report but does not show up in Finder (with all the options enabled).

Several people have reported this on the web but no solutions are forthcoming. This card reader worked fine on my old iMac (with Intel chip). Has anybody here encountered this? Do you know of any XQD Card Reader that works on machines with Apple silicon?

Pathy
As a temporary solution, if you still have your intel mac , boot it up and download images to it and then airdrop them to the new one. Or connect the two macs directly and enter target mode. See following link https://www.macworld.com/article/34...other-mac-whether-intel-or-apple-silicon.html on how to do it. It will treat your old mac as just another HD.
Here is a second article that to me is a little less confusing with its explanation. https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/75601-transfer-files-between-m1-and-intel-macs/

Last edited:
I'd check the reader on another machine (beyond what you have mentioned above) to make sure that the reader itself is not the problem. Anyone with windows or older Apple computer that would allow you to plug it in and try to see if a card can be recognized and read?

Good luck,

--Ken

I have the same card reader on my MacBook Pro M2 and no issues. My best guess is that you accidentally switched your USB C cord with a poor-quality one. It's worth paying the $$ for a really good one. I use:

https://www.anker.com/products/a8866?variant=41974289072278&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pmax&utm_campaign=us_anker_charger_conversion_pmax_BFCM_purchase_ost&utm_content=BFCM&utm_term={20756586370}_{}_{}&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOaTfCDYeR6FI5CCwdF_n82tU7dkc9ulP1XtzS6EZqW5Couf5XHgdUxoCcY4QAvD_BwE

90% plus of the time I just connect my cameras directly via a USB C cable
After spending an hour with Apple Support, we finally identified the problem. This model Sony XQD card reader (MRW-E90) is only able to handle XQD cards upto 64GB. With a 64GB card, everything works fine. The card I was using was a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CFExpress card which apparently dos not work with this card reader..
I have now ordered a newer Sony XQD/CFExpress Type B Memory Card Reader (Model ‎MRWG1/T1). I hope that will solve my problem.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Pathy

After spending an hour with Apple Support, we finally identified the problem. This model Sony XQD card reader (MRW-E90) is only able to handle XQD cards upto 64GB. With a 64GB card, everything works fine. The card I was using was a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CFExpress card which apparently dos not work with this card reader..
I have now ordered a newer Sony XQD/CFExpress Type B Memory Card Reader (Model ‎MRWG1/T1). I hope that will solve my problem.

Pathy
While they are the same format, most XQD readers will not read CF Express cards unless specifically stated. Glad you quickly identified the issue.

--Ken

Pathy
Thanks for posting the solution. I too had this problem.

Yes, the new Sony XQD/CF Express card reader solved the problem! It now shows up correctly in the Finder.

Incidentally, when I plugged the camera (Z 7II) directly into the computer, it didn't show up in the Finder either. I had to use the Image Capture app to see the CF Express card and to copy pictures from it to my computer.

Pathy

Hhhmmm, I have no experience with intel Macs and just switched to Apple 1,5 years ago using a Macbok Pro 16" with M1Max.

But with my XQD reader it's totally normal that I don't see it in Finder or as a volume on the Desktop.
It only shows up when a card is inserted and as long there isn't a card in it, I don't even see it in system information.
But with the card inserted it works flawlessly.

I can't even tell what reader it is, because the only thing written on it is "XQD" on the top (no label, nothing).
It's relatively old and still has USB-A, but I can plug ii in the Mac with adapter, the Thunderbolt hub's Thunderbolt or USB-A connectors, to the USB-C ports on the Studio Dispalys ... it just works.

The only thing I can think of that yourcreader doesn't work without some piece of additional software on the computer and you had this piece of software on your intel Mac, but for some reason this software isn't available for Apple Silicon (happens sometimes for outdated products).
I have a similar problem with my car navigation that I still can only update on a Windows PC because my Mac just doesn't see it ,when I connect it.

Although the Z8 has USB link, I still prefer to take the card ouzt, because it is still the fastest way ... AND ... My Mac doesn't show my camera when I connect it to the Mac. I must use the Nikon transfer program to get access to the card in the body ...

Back