XQD Card Stuck in Sony Adapter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SBurkholder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I guess that the title says it all. I've got an XQD card seemingly lock inside of a Sony USB Adapter. Before I tear it apart to try to save the card or the adapter, does anyone have any experience in trying to remove one? Any tricks that someone may know to get the adapter to release the card?

Thanks

Steve

I guess the usual generic ideas of trying to push in the card to see if is spring loaded, looking for a button, or checking if there is a hole that a paper clip might fit into as a release. No specific knowledge of this product though.

I had done all of those and checked for a hole. No luck. However, I did find an alternative way, although it doesn't come with any recommendations for anyone else to try it. I accidentally dropped it on the floor and the card popped out! Stuck the card back in and it became stuck again. So I dropped it on the floor and it popped out. I don't recall that Sony documented this method in the user manual. But it seems to work in my case :)

Tuck had done all of those and checked for a hole. No luck. However, I did find an alternative way, although it doesn't come with any recommendations for anyone else to try it. I accidentally dropped it on the floor and the card popped out! Stuck the card back in and it became stuck again. So I dropped it on the floor and it popped out. I don't recall that Sony documented this method in the user manual. But it seems to work in my case :)
Time for a new reader or possibly the card is the problem. Stick another card in and see if it gets stuck as well.

You're very lucky it got stuck in the reader. Mine got stuck in my D500, broke the cameras card reader, and I had to send the D500 back to Nikon for repair (main circuit board, $450). Maybe I should have tried dropping the D500 to see if that worked.
Peter

You're very lucky it got stuck in the reader. Mine got stuck in my D500, broke the cameras card reader, and I had to send the D500 back to Nikon for repair (main circuit board, $450). Maybe I should have tried dropping the D500 to see if that worked.
Peter
Humor derives from the tragedy of others and being lucky enough to not have the perspective of the participant! Thanks for sharing.

I experienced the same issue this morning. I used needle-nose pliers, and the card came out. I'm unsure if I should buy a new card or put it back in the camera and hope it does not get stuck. Thanks for posting.

It's the card, so there's no sense trying it on the camera body. I don't need that hassle this week. :eek:

Last edited:
I experienced the same issue this morning. I used needle-nose pliers, and the card came out. I'm unsure if I should buy a new card or put it back in the camera and hope it does not get stuck. Thanks for posting.
I figured this thread saved me a several hundred repair fee because when I first had the problem it was with the card reader. I wasn’t thinking about the camera and could have easily put the bad card in my camera. I relegated the card to the trash can. Didn’t wish to take the chance of a repair to Nikon.

Back