Yellow-headed Blackbird

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodyg3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Eyes! :)

YHBBEyes-770.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful. It that a xanthocroic blackbird. We have the Black-collared barbet and Crimson-breasted shrikes where the reds are replaced with yellow in rare cases.

Awesome capture Woody.
Happy trails.
Thanks, Paul! :)

Wow! Is that bird real?! I've never seen one, it's awesome!

Beautiful. It that a xanthocroic blackbird. We have the Black-collared barbet and Crimson-breasted shrikes where the reds are replaced with yellow in rare cases.
Kirk and Callie, Yellow-headed Blackbirds are a separate species from Red-winged. The yellow is the natural color. Females are less colorful, and this time of year are hard to see since they are sitting on eggs. They are larger and in my experience are dominant over red-winged Blackbirds in the same habitat. Their call is like a RWBB on steroids. Tons of character and a fun bird to watch and photograph.

Thanks, Paul! :)

Kirk and Callie, Yellow-headed Blackbirds are a separate species from Red-winged. The yellow is the natural color. Females are less colorful, and this time of year are hard to see since they are sitting on eggs. They are larger and in my experience are dominant over red-winged Blackbirds in the same habitat. Their call is like a RWBB on steroids. Tons of character and a fun bird to watch and photograph.
Thank you, Woody, I appreciate the reply

Back