Yellowstone late May 2025 - wildlife tours and hotels recommendations?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A small group (4 people) is planning a trip to YNP in late May 2025. First time in YNP so we definitely need help finding wildlife.

The plan is to stay in Gardiner, MT and take day tours.

Any recommendations on the best accommodations in Gardiner and the best naturalist/photography guides/companies?

Thanks in advance!

I have never used a guide and I am not sure it would be that helpful in Yellowstone. I don't know what they could get you that you can't get driving on your own (just look for where cars are stopped and that is where the animals are).

As for accomodations, when I stayed in Gardiner it seems they are all more or less the same midrange level. There is nothing really nice or luxurious but I didn't see any complete dumps either. I stayed at Absaroka Lodge which overlooks the river and is close to park entrance and was fine.

A small group (4 people) is planning a trip to YNP in late May 2025. First time in YNP so we definitely need help finding wildlife.

Any recommendations on the best accommodations in Gardiner and the best naturalist/photography guides/companies?

Thanks in advance!
If you're staying in Gardiner, the Ridgeline Motel is a good, reasonably affordable option. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the location is easy walking distance to the market and restaurants. Personally, I prefer to stay at the cabins in Silver Gate, a small hamlet in a beautiful setting, with easy access to the Lamar Valley, which is considered one of the best areas for wildlife ("the American Serengeti"). The only downside to Silver Gate is that there are very limited food options, but not a problem for me because I like preparing my own meals in the cabin anyway (also, Cooke City is only 2 miles away if you feel like eating out).

As for finding wildlife, generally speaking it's fairly easy to do in Yellowstone if you're looking for the usual suspects - bison, elk, pronghorn, and wolves at a distance, as others have mentioned. However, as a first timer in YNP, I'd strongly suggest either hiring a guide for a day or two, or joining a short wildlife photography workshop, just to get you oriented to the area. Yellowstone is vast, and it's very easy to spend lots of time driving around, and getting stuck in bison jams and construction along two-way roads. Guides are expensive (~$800-$1200/day) but can be worth their weight in gold, since they know the area and wildlife very well. McNeil Lyons is an especially gifted wildlife guide and photographer, if you're lucky enough to be able to book him. Alternatively, Yellowstone Forever (formerly the Yellowstone Institute) offers some very good, very affordable wildlife photography workshops - perhaps starting with one of their 3 or 4-day workshops, then adding another handful of days to wander on your own would be a good option.

One other suggestion: be prepared for all types of weather, especially in May. Temperatures at that time of year can fluctuate wildly from freezing and heavy snow to T-shirt conditions. Also, be sure to book way in advance as reservations fill up fast.

Good luck, and have a great time!

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with a guide in Yellowstone, especially if you have a passenger in your car who can be on the lookout for wildlife. Wildlife is everywhere in Yellowstone. The park road is a giant figure 8, so navigating and driving around is pretty easy. Almost every animal can be found in the north area of the park between Mammoth and north east entrance, except great grey owls which can usually be found in the fields near the fishing bridge and yellowstone lake, and bighorn sheep which can be found between mount Washburn and Tower falls. Definitely look for groups with spotting scopes and big lenses. Generally they are very nice and if you simply ask politely what they are looking at they will tell you and often offer a look through their spotting scopes. If you do book a guide, I would book a guide who is in the wolf spotting "network." Some groups of guides and spotters work together and communicate via radio when wolves are sighted which increases your odds of seeing wolves. But a guide is definitely not a necessity in Yellowstone.

Just got back from a week in Gardiner at Absaroka Lodge which is good enough. I highly recommend Yellowstone Wolf Tracker. All their guides are very knowable about all things Yellowstone. If money is a consideration, I would still recommend going out with a guide at least the first day to get a lay of the land. You learn a lot and can use that knowledge when you go out on your own.

Thanks in advance!
I've been to Yellowstone to photograph wildlife nine times over the past 10 or so years. I only go for the wildlife, although a couple of times I did visit the geysers. I stay in Gardiner, in a motel, most of the time. In June I will be there for my 10th time and I'm staying in a B&B apartment. I've stayed at the Yellowstone Big Rock Inn, Super 8, and Absaroka Lodge over the years. They all worked fine but I liked the Big Rock Inn best, easy parking and a nice patio area on the upper floors and a bit nicer inside. The Absaroka is older and a bit down at the edges but a nice outdoor deck with a view of the river. I think all of the places work fine, Gardiner is small and the store and gas station is only a block or two away from any place. You said late May...does that include Memorial Day weekend? If so, know that the holiday weekend is a misery to be in, hoards of people. I made that mistake only once! That is why I am going just after the holiday weekend this year, I'll be in Yellowstone for seven days and the Tetons for three days. The Tetons are only a short drive away. The way to get a lot of wildlife photos in either place is to simply get in the car and drive, drive, drive. You drive and look, you stop when you see a lot of people gathered, you ask people questions anywhere you go about what they've seen and where, and then you drive some more. The better you are as a "spotter," the better chance you have to see wildlife and this is where a good guide can help. I've gone with a photographer tour guide for most of the trips I've taken, mostly with the same guide (but with a total of four guides over the years) who is a great spotter, knows every inch of the park as he has been guiding there for 20+ years and where any specific animal might hang out and I've learned from him over the years. Now I'm going on my own. It's nice to have someone driving who can park their vehicle almost anywhere without a problem as parking is a huge problem at any spot in the park on any given day. It's worse now with so many people getting into scoping the wolves. Getting out very early, going in for lunch and a nap, and then heading back out in the late afternoon when the tourists are heading in for a nap is the best way to do it. Keep up with the Yellowstone park Facebook page for park issues and you can also get on other Yellowstone facebook pages just to find out general info.

Lodging is available at Mammoth Hot Springs as well, decent cabins for $250 a night. It's nice to take an evening walk around the terraces and elk are usually all around Mammoth. There will be more food options in Gardner than in Mammoth. Lodging reservations in Yellowstone for May 2025 will open May 2024. There is also lodging available in the Cooke City and Silver Gate areas.

Yellowstone is a big park and you never know how long it is going to take to drive any stretch of road so be prepared. We have followed bison herds down the road for miles and so the speed limit is the speed the herd chooses to walk. Wildlife sightings can also cause delays, even if it one bison along side of the road.

Be prepared for all types of weather in late May. The road from Gardner into the park is a steep and winding road and you may experience some temporary road closures. We have seen this a number of times when visiting the park in early June. You can subscribe and receive text updates on road conditions in the park.

We have never hired a guide, but especially in the northern part of the park, wolves seem to be the goal of many wildlife viewers. The advantage of having a guide is that most of them are radio connected and they have knowledge of where the carcasses are located. If you want to see wolves or grizzles, knowing where the carcasses are is a plus.

Talk to people! If you see people stopped scanning the hillside with binoculars and spotting scopes ask them for information. We have found most people are willing to share their sightings. We also use Yellowstone Reports, it is a $20 a year subscription and mostly focuses on wolves and grizzlies but can be helpful.

Be up to date on road closure and construction projects. There has been considerable work in the Lamar Canyon and the Yellowstone River bridge replacement in the valley will begin this summer. There might be nighttime closures along park roads and we have experienced them closing the Lamar road early in the evening for blasting so stay current.

I don't know if you are driving in or flying in but I would always pack a cooler with food and drinks. You never know that time of year what food options will be available in the park. My wife and I also pack our own automatic coffee maker, if you want to be up and out with a thermos of coffee before sunrise in the morning that is the only way to do it.

Thank you everyone for excellent comments and lots of useful information! I will check the recommended hotels and AirBnB, as well as recommended guides, that we may hire for 1-2 days and then explore on our own.

Just back from Lamar and lots of Grizzly activity right now. Most of the wolf activity is centered around Slough Cr and when Junction Butte 907F will den and have her pups (a bit late this year). At 10 years old she is the oldest wolf in the park and has only one eye. I would second Yellowstone Wolf Tracker as a highly regarded guide service - you can't go wrong with that outfit (Nathan Varley grew up in Yellowstone Park as the son of park rangers). There is and will be pilot car across old bridge over the Yellowstone River (new bridge being constructed just up river) and your wait time will be based on number of cars but right now no more than 5 minutes. The road through Lamar to Cook City is very narrow with no shoulders so the driver really as to pay attention.

Just back from Lamar and lots of Grizzly activity right now. Most of the wolf activity is centered around Slough Cr and when Junction Butte 907F will den and have her pups (a bit late this year). At 10 years old she is the oldest wolf in the park and has only one eye. I would second Yellowstone Wolf Tracker as a highly regarded guide service - you can't go wrong with that outfit (Nathan Varley grew up in Yellowstone Park as the son of park rangers). There is and will be pilot car across old bridge over the Yellowstone River (new bridge being constructed just up river) and your wait time will be based on number of cars but right now no more than 5 minutes. The road through Lamar to Cook City is very narrow with no shoulders so the driver really as to pay attention.
Is the grizzly activity that you saw the usual "hey, that speck in the distance is a grizzly," or were they coming in closer to the road?

At the end of May I'll be doing my 6th trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in the last 3 years. IMHO, a guide really isn't necessary, but I used McNeil Lyons last year and he is fantastic. He was a former park ranger and has worked in the park for probably 25+ years. Guides are expensive but as others have said they are in contact with other guides, are great for giving you a good introduction to the park, and where to see a variety of animals. Best of all they drive so you can focus on looking for animals.

I like the Yellowstone Village Inn in Gardiner. Family owned with a friendly staff and nice rooms.

Have a great trip!

Only thing I will add is don’t overlook some of the shorter (5mile or so) trails. There are a lot there that are not so crowded as the walks around the thermal areas. Like many parks once you get a mile from the road you will wonder where all the people went. Be alert for the usual suspects (bears, bison and moose). Mama moose have a limited sense of humor. In May they may not have calves yet. If you are reasonably cautious you won’t have any trouble at all. Just don’t try to pet the big fuzzy cattle (🤪😄)

I'd recommend staying in the park if you can. It really enhances the experience since there is no need to get out and seek dinner. You can enjoy the lighter traffic and reduced crowds, plus approaching dusk is more active for critters. Plus great sunsets. I would move around, there are many villages. For example a few days at Mammoth, a few at canyon, a few at old faithful and a few at Lake.

Enjoy.

I realize that, I was simply asking about your experience.
I actually never did see any bears, but I'm as much a nature buff as photographer and just like being out there. In yesterdays Yellowstone Reports there is a great account of the Mollies (normally live in Pelican Valley) feeding on a bison near the Lamar river and a Grizzly decides to take it over. Great account of the give and take with the wolves and Grizzly!

Only thing I will add is don’t overlook some of the shorter (5mile or so) trails. There are a lot there that are not so crowded as the walks around the thermal areas. Like many parks once you get a mile from the road you will wonder where all the people went. Be alert for the usual suspects (bears, bison and moose). Mama moose have a limited sense of humor. In May they may not have calves yet. If you are reasonably cautious you won’t have any trouble at all. Just don’t try to pet the big fuzzy cattle (🤪😄)
how about a self with the fuzzy cows? Or not! :unsure:

I actually never did see any bears, but I'm as much a nature buff as photographer and just like being out there. In yesterdays Yellowstone Reports there is a great account of the Mollies (normally live in Pelican Valley) feeding on a bison near the Lamar river and a Grizzly decides to take it over. Great account of the give and take with the wolves and Grizzly!
What are Mollies?

Check the park service notices about road construction and closures during May. In the past I would stay in Gardiner but switched to West Yellowstone and Cooke City as they provided better access to the wildlife areas. There is a great deal of wildlife between the eastern edge of the park and Cooke City.

In May the sows will be emerging to feed along with their new cubs. Great to see and photograph but the mothers are very protective and can move at triple the speed of a photographer. More elk around Jackson Hole where they winter and then gradually move back into the park.

There is also an independent website for the park that provides useful and more timely information than that provided by the park service.

During the winter months the snow coaches can get you to places that you could not go to with your own vehicle. During the late spring and summer months there is nothing to be gained with a tour service. Better to take your own car around inside the park and be able to spend as much time as you want in an area.

Back