Yellowstone NP Meetup Proposal

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
As a follow up to two other threads about potential meetups, I’d like to propose a fall meetup in Yellowstone National Park. I’ll be there Sept 23-Oct 4th, and would be happy to connect with anyone from BCG while there. I do not envision a large group - hopefully just a small handful of like-minded photographers - who would like to meet, do a little shooting together, and socialize and compare notes during down times. I‘ve been to YNP several times previously, and know the area reasonably well, particularly the northern section of the park. I’m interested primarily in wildlife, not the usual scenic locations visited by many tourists (Old Faithful, thermal features, etc.). I’ll be based in Silver Gate - a very small hamlet located 1 mile outside of the northeastern park gate, which affords easy access to the Lamar Valley. Silver Gate has one motel and a number of small, comfortable housekeeping cabins. There’s a restaurant (Log Cabin Cafe), which may or may not be open in late September (it wasn’t last year). If interested, please respond to this post, or PM me.

THIS PROPOSED MEETUP IS NOT ENDORSED BY, AND HAS NO AFFILIATION WITH, BACKCOUNTRY GALLERY. ANY PARTICIPATION IS AT THE INDIVIDUAL’S OWN RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK.

Last edited:
As it turns out, my fall vacation dates line up similarly with this (though they end Oct 1). I have no plans yet and was keeping it open, though this is certainly a possibility. I have been twice - once in fall and once in winter. I will bookmark this link and keep it in mind as the time gets closer, making a decision presumably by May or June.

As a follow up to two other threads about potential meetups, I’d like to propose a fall meetup in Yellowstone National Park. I’ll be there Sept 23-Oct 4th, and would be happy to connect with anyone from BCG while there. I do not envision a large group - hopefully just a small handful of like-minded photographers - who would like to meet, do a little shooting together, and socialize and compare notes during down times. I‘ve been to YNP several times previously, and know the area reasonably well, particularly the northern section of the park. I’m interested primarily in wildlife, not the usual scenic locations visited by many tourists (Old Faithful, thermal features, etc.). I’ll be based in Silver Gate - a very small hamlet located 1 mile outside of the northeastern park gate, which affords easy access to the Lamar Valley. Silver Gate has one motel and a number of small, comfortable housekeeping cabins. There’s a restaurant (Log Cabin Cafe), which may or may not be open in late September (it wasn’t last year). If interested, please respond to this post, or PM me.

THIS PROPOSED MEETUP IS NOT ENDORSED BY, AND HAS NO AFFILIATION WITH, BACKCOUNTRY GALLERY. ANY PARTICIPATION IS AT THE INDIVIDUAL’S OWN RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK.
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. It’s a great idea and I am due to go back to YNP. I live in the PNW so it’s only a 12 hour drive🤓. So, yes I am interested.

I live in Ohio, but will gladly drive to meet ups in PA, NY, IN, KY, TN, WV, MI, etc. Normally I can accommodate weekdays to avoid crowds, but would also consider weekends. My interests include wildlife, landscapes, cityscapes, infrared, to name a few.

I noticed a suggestion for Feb 22 which sounded interesting, but alas I have two commitments for the day.

RE: YNP in fall, I just got back from there for a week or winter shooting. For the fall trip, I can offer a suggestion for a 1 day shoot at Charles Russel Wildlife Area for the elk rut - some pics are here.

I am retired and live in Boise, so I am very interested. I suspect there must be some campgrounds available, as I dislike paying the high fees for rooms thAt are often not as nice as the motel 6 rooms I used to sleep in while much younger than I am now...

I look forward to hearing more specifics as the time grows nearer. You may end up with a larger group than you expected...

;)

Good morning,
Sounds like a great idea. I live in Montana and visit the park as often as possible. I normally stay in Gardiner, great motels and good food all the time. Keep in touch.

Back