Your choice for owning only one wide angle lens for z mount?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Activert

Supporting Member
Marketplace
8If you want to own only one of the best wide angle lens for landscape and astrophotography for the Z mount? The lens should be wide open with the best quality image. Will you go for a zoom or a prime and what it will be your choice? I don’t own any lens less than 70mm reach and I only want to add one for landscape and astro to my bag. I appreciate your opinion and your experience will definitely help me with my choice. Thank you !

Not much of a choice when you limit yourself to a Z type lens. I am keeping my 14-24mm f/2.8 and 18-35mm and 19mm PC-E lens for landscape photogrpahy. No issues or concerns to using the FTZ adapter and a f-mount lens for landscape photography.

14-30 f4S as I shoot astro rarely. This is a superb compact zoom. I keep my 18-35 G as backup and for use with DSLRs.

I also have 24-120 f4S and its shorter end is most useful.
Also read Thom Hogan's z system pages and this essay

Not much of a choice when you limit yourself to a Z type lens. I am keeping my 14-24mm f/2.8 and 18-35mm and 19mm PC-E lens for landscape photogrpahy. No issues or concerns to using the FTZ adapter and a f-mount lens for landscape photography.
Thank you! Too bad for me! I sold all my DSLR lenses and I do regret selling some of them

I own the Nikon 14-30mm Z lens and added a Laowa 15mm f/2 in Z-mount for Astro. The 14-30 is much lighter and smaller than the 14-24 for travel and hiking, while the Laowa is a nice manual focus lens for night sky use.

I also have Zeiss 15 f2.8AIP and 21 f2.8AIP - superb primes which continue to hold their own. However the 14-30 is simpler and easier to use, and this includes its 82mm screw in filters.
The key criterion remains - get the 14-24 f2.8S if astrophotography is the main use, especially as optically it has no flaws to worry about. Otherwise the 14-30 f4S is the more affordable, lighter all rounder

PL is the other reliable review site with detailed reviews of these Z Nikkors - https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-series

Here are a couple more BCG threads,

I have the 14-30Z and the 14-24Z. The 14-30Z is very light and takes 82mm filters. The 14-24Z is great and only slightly heavier. It's definitely sharper in the corners but a little more annoying for using filters.

I use the 14-30 for longer hiking / backpacking and the 14-24Z for closer to the car. If I only had to pick one, I would probably go with the 14-24Z as its already light enough. I had bought the 14-30Z before the 14-24 was announced, assuming the 14-24Z would be much heavier. But when the 14-24 was announced, it is actually quite light.

I would sell the 14-30 but it seems like on Keh.com, I can't get enough $ for it to justify selling it.

Interview with Nikon engineers in 2019 discussing the new Z ultra wide zooms

EDITED filter options are much improved on both Z mount UW zooms, largely thanks to their more optimized optical design with flatter front elements

Last edited:
Interview with Nikon engineers in 2019 discussing the new Z ultra wide zooms

Thank you! Very interesting article and interview !

8If you want to own only one of the best wide angle lens for landscape and astrophotography for the Z mount? The lens should be wide open with the best quality image. Will you go for a zoom or a prime and what it will be your choice? I don’t own any lens less than 70mm reach and I only want to add one for landscape and astro to my bag. I appreciate your opinion and your experience will definitely help me with my choice. Thank you !
It's not wide, but if all I did was astro and landscape, and it had to be Z-mount I'd buy the 58 f/.95 Noct. That's based on what's available right now though. For wides and normals, I'm more interested in what Voigtlander and Zeiss will be offering in the future than what Nikon is. I think the widest prime Nikon has right now is a 20mm f/1.8.

If your use is primarily astrophotography, I cannot recommend the Z 20mm F1.8 enough. It's an absolutely killer lens, almost no coma, distortion, fringing etc. By far the best astro lens I've used
FB_IMG_1657408925479.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

FB_IMG_1657408932741.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I rarely shoot landscapes with anything less than 50mm, and thus don't have one of the wide zooms, so I'm very glad that I have the 20 for those rare cases when I do want to go wide

I use the 20mm f1.8 for Astro and the 14-24mm for landscape.
But if I had to use only one then it would be the 14-24mm - not as fast but more versatile.
I found the 28-75mm to be a bit too soft wide open for astro.
If on a budget the 14-30mm is worth a look too..🦘

As I shoot mostly wildlife I choosed to go with the 14-30. I use it for landscapes, but I have also shot some northern lights photography with it, but it requires to use high ISO.

Here‘s a post I shared using this lens:

As I shoot mostly wildlife I choosed to go with the 14-30. I use it for landscapes, but I have also shot some northern lights photography with it, but it requires to use high ISO.

Here‘s a post I shared using this lens:
The 14-30 is a great lens but f4 is a bit slow for astro...🦘

If your use is primarily astrophotography, I cannot recommend the Z 20mm F1.8 enough. It's an absolutely killer lens, almost no coma, distortion, fringing etc. By far the best astro lens I've used View attachment 42566
View attachment 42567

I rarely shoot landscapes with anything less than 50mm, and thus don't have one of the wide zooms, so I'm very glad that I have the 20 for those rare cases when I do want to go wide
Thank you your photos are amazing. I am going to get the z 20mm f1.8.

Back