Your strategies for dealing with heat

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just to circle back on the golf tournament last week.

I averaged 22,000 steps per day (about 7.5 miles on average), 7-8 hours per day, and carried a full "light kit" with Z6iii, SB-910 flash, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 14-30 f/4 3 days, 400mm f/4.5 2 days, and Z8 the last day only. I also had a lot of extra batteries. Temperatures were in the low to mid-90's every day with high humidity.

Above everything I concentrated on two strategies. I drank as much water as possible with about 30% drinks with electrolytes like PowerAde and Smartwater. I averaged 8-10 16 ounce bottles of water each day on the course. I started with a full bottle as soon as I reached the course and made sure I always was well hydrated. You never want to get behind on fluids. The second strategy was to actively search for shade and stand in shade when possible. There is a big difference between standing in the sun and standing in shade.

As far as the tournament is concerned, in spite of plenty of access to water and beverages, heat issues and related complications were the most common problems in First Aid tents. I saw one photographer with press credentials who had heat issues and was attended by first aid workers. He was older, overweight, and was sitting in full sun before having problems. I'm sure he was not drinking enough water.

As far as the tournament is concerned, in spite of plenty of access to water and beverages, heat issues and related complications were the most common problems in First Aid tents. I saw one photographer with press credentials who had heat issues and was attended by first aid workers. He was older, overweight, and was sitting in full sun before having problems. I'm sure he was not drinking enough water.
Eric, I used to go hiking in the White Tanks, which is a mountain park just west of Phoenix. I’d take my camelbak as well as 2-3 extra bottles of water for a 3-4 hour hike. The bottles weren’t for me, but for others I’d see on the trail, that brought very little or even no water, even in the summer months. I can’t count the number of times I’d hand out water to folks that didn’t have enough, with the recommendation that they head back to the trailhead and their vehicle. I’ve actually walked out with folks to make sure they got out ok. It’s not uncommon for folks to have to be rescued from there. Some due to falls, but quite a few due to dehydration.

Last edited:
Gilla Bend, AZ was my first real heat experience, 115 f daytime 110 f at night. Only 3 activities, Shade, River or moving fast between the two.

The real killer in Phoenix is the 68 f restaurants then a 140 f car. Running errands I don't bother with AC, just roll the windows down and Relax. Minimum exertion, moving slow, really helps.

get a special towel that they make that you wrap around your neck after dipping it in cool water
exactly. In Africa they use Kikoi fabric or towels and put them not only around the neck but also around the shoulder.
I experienced +44C as max and +42C on a daily basis in African safaris. And there was no aircon (only in the car when you are driving) So, I used wet t-shirts with long or short sleeves (after deeping them in a cold water) It helped very well. And a portable small fan (on batteries or akku charged or woring on USB or autonomously)
+50C for a long time will be dangerous for a human protein as far as I know. To keep head cool is very important (more important than the rest of the body AFAIK) You can pour cool water on your head. If you have hair the water will evaportae slower and cool the head. Of put a wet cap or a piece of ice in the cap. Keep hands in a cold waer helps, too.

Back