Z 24-70mm f2.8 s feedback and experience

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have the 70-200 f2.8 E FL which I use often with FTZ II on a Z7II, Z8, and Z9. I have no IQ concerns with this Lens on my Mirrorless Cameras . If you can find the latest 70-200 E FL VR f2.8 for $800 that's one heck of a bargain. I considered purchasing the Z 70-200 f2.8 but I still have my D850 and still use F Version often.

Last edited:
.I have the 70-200 f2.8 E FL which I use often with FTZ II on a Z7II, Z8, and Z9. I have no IQ concerns with this Lens on my Mirrorless Cameras . If you can find the latest 70-200 E FL VR f2.8 for $800 that's one heck of a bargain.
I’ve seen this bargain too and, although the E is a better lens, I already have a copy of the VR II. Subject to change, of course. 😉

I am interested in your feedback and experience with this lens,

I heavily prefer high IQ lenses and have had this on my wish list for some time. I just got one and am evaluating whether to keep it.

It is rainy, we are in monsoon season in Seattle and I am not going to get this baby wet yet so instead I am writing to the gang seeking your thoughts.
This is one of the 1st lenses I bought for my Z. You will find it useful for landscape images more than wildlife or street photography (too bulky/heavy). Very sharp to my old eyes… this is a reduced size JPEG/fine*. The full resolution version shows sawgrass in foreground & dock very sharp..
LCS_0351.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The 24-70/2.8? Big. Heavy. Awesome.

If you don’t really need the f/2.8 or control ring, I suggest the 24-70/4 instead. It’s much smaller and cheaper, and its image quality isn’t much worse. The f/2.8 (and its hood) are a pain in a bag.

The f/2.8 earns its keep for events as a prime replacement, but if that’s not what you’re doing, its only remaining virtue is its higher sharpness, which isn’t worth the added weight IMHO.

I already have the 24-70 f4 and have used it as a street lens.

I really like super sharp prime quality lenses and I don't mind the weight. I shoot Z9 and am used to the heft. I am a big guy anyway and a good cross body strap or a Blackrapid shoulder harness makes carrying it comfortable.

I'd take the Z 24-70 f/4 over any F-mount version in terms of image quality - especially midframe to corners. Center sharpness is not an issue with F-mount but the corners have some drop in sharpness. I also have the Z 24-70 f/2.8 and it's in a different league. It's excellent wide open, and midframe to corners make it the best of the bunch. The lens is truly outstanding with nice backgrounds. The f/2.8 is probably the best zoom lens Nikon has produced covering that range. Of course, the primes are at a different level, so if you want ultimate sharpness, it's not going to be a zoom. I use the f/4 version when weight is at a premium or landscapes/people are not my top priority. When I want ultimate quality, I use the f/2.8. On trips I'll often bring both lenses and choose which lens depending on plans for the day.

Among the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses, I have had the VR, VR II, and now the Z version. The Z version is clearly the best of the bunch - both in the center and midframe to corners. It's also best in difficult conditions such as backlit subjects. The F mount 70-200 FL is very similar optically, but for the other two versions (VR and VRII) it's a good move to trade up to the Z version when budget allows. The 70-200 is my favorite lens - I use it for landscapes, portraits, sports, events, and equestrian. It's less important for wildlife - mainly environmental images and large animals at close range.

while it was on other cameras, i never meshed with the f-mount nikon 24-70, nor the tamron g2 version. i’m not sure what it was, the d500 (crop of course) seemed unhappy with them and i actually had a lot of focus misses that i failed to debug. and even when it was in focus they seemed flat.

the new z version has always worked seamlessly with beautiful results. clearly part of this is the camera, but my point is i’ve never been happy with a 24-70 until this one

Last edited:
I have owned one of these since early on. I find it to be a superior lens. It seems better than the previous verions although I have no data to prove that. It does not disapoint!

Last edited:
I am interested in your feedback and experience with this lens,

I heavily prefer high IQ lenses and have had this on my wish list for some time. I just got one and am evaluating whether to keep it.

It is rainy, we are in monsoon season in Seattle and I am not going to get this baby wet yet so instead I am writing to the gang seeking your thoughts.
I rented this lens few times before and I loved it. So I decided to buy it. It is always in my bag. I took it last Summer with me to Newfoundland. I was hesitant at that time. But to take some environmental photos of Puffins flying all over the places, feeding their offsprings performed really well specially in the blue and golden hours. In my trip to Africa last fall, it was the first one to make it into my bag without hesitation. I used it in that trip a lot to photograph close wildlife and to make videos. I am going this summer back to Newfounland and it will be in my bag again.
This lens is really very sharp and it is the only wild angle lens I have. Until now I don’t feel the need for less than 24 mm. Maybe in the future I have to add a 14-24 mm zoom for Astro. We will see.
keep it and you will love it as I do! You can’t go wrong with it.

Back