Z 8 a reminder not to be an early adopter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

tjphxaz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have generally resisted being an early adopter of new camera and lens models. However, I ignored my instincts when I pre-ordered the Z 8. Today, Nikon service returned my Z 8 after fixing the strap lug issue. This after an earlier repair to the lens mount. I feel like Nikon repair has had possession of my Z 8 more than I have. I will give them this: The turn-around for both repairs was exactly 7 calendar days from the day I shipped the camera. Hopefully these are the only two issues that can't be fixed with firmware updates. That said, Z 8 is a terrific camera. That said, I plan to return to my previous practice of not being an early adopter.

Getting in on the first batch of a new camera is like buying a totally new model of a vehicle, you have to expect recalls for defects that the manufacturer didn't pick up in pre-production testing. If that doesn't bother you, fine -- as for me, I'll wait for a while and avoid the introductory problems.

I am also one who is generally disinclined to be an early adopter. Even though boxing up and shipping it back twice for the recalls has only been an inconvenience because I still have my D90, D500 and D850, the whole affair leaves a nagging loss of confidence in my brand new camera. I really wish I had waited and bought later after the big rush was over. Just another form of buyer's remorse I guess. LOL.

I am also one who is generally disinclined to be an early adopter. Even though boxing up and shipping it back twice for the recalls has only been an inconvenience because I still have my D90, D500 and D850, the whole affair leaves a nagging loss of confidence in my brand new camera. I really wish I had waited and bought later after the big rush was over. Just another form of buyer's remorse I guess. LOL.
Agreed. I have this nagging question, ”Is the Z 8 a lemon?”

No regrets for me. The Z8 is by far the best camera I've ever owned and a gigantic leap over the Z6 I still have and use. Time opportunity for me. I've used my Z8 plenty since it came out and I would rather have gotten the shots the last few months and deal with a few teething issues than wait and lose out on time to shoot. Same deal with the 180-600mm I have preordered. I'd rather deal with potential teething issues to have it for fall/winter birding, then sit it out and hope it's in stock when I need it. My choices have been made and I'd do it again.

If you start with the preconceived notion that everything you buy is going to be perfect, no matter the price, you're going to be disappointed in life. On the other hand, I go through life with the notion that there are going to be bumps, breakages and unforeseen calamities...and I am prepared to deal with those matters by way of preparation, when possible, a clever mind to solve problems as they arrive at my doorstep and if it's not a matter of life or death, I'm not going to get all worked up about it.

Sounds like quite a few of you are glass half-full sort of people, but I'm very glad to see a lot of glass overflowing types that get out and live/do. As David Crosby once said, and I paraphrase, "Time is the only currency". I have a Z9 as backup, but in the meantime, I'll wait and send my Z8 for both fixes in a few months when things settle down. In the meantime, I'll be out taking photos/videos with it as I've been since receiving on the Friday after it started shipping. I never use the strap mounts anyway, preferring QD connectors on the camera plate or lens plate.

I don't own a Z8 but I don't see anything related to either service issue being directly related to how the camera performs. I also question how many Z8s actually had the lens mount or the strap lug issue failure, social media tends to magnify the actual occurrence rate. Nikon was good to respond to both of the issues quickly and it appears pretty efficiently.

I look at it this way, if I purchase a product as soon as it is released, and it were to be out of my hands for 4 weeks in the first 12 weeks due to initial service issues, I at least had the opportunity to use the camera for 8 weeks. If I choose not to purchase I can be assured that I will be able to use the camera for 0 weeks.

i have no regrets about the z8 or the z9. my z8 has been away from me for a couple of weeks. over the span of many, many years, it's not a problem.

every day i didn't have the z8, i had the z6ii, and i'd MUCH, MUCH rather have the z8 over the z6ii.

🤷‍♂️

i have no regrets about the z8 or the z9. my z8 has been away from me for a couple of weeks. over the span of many, many years, it's not a problem.

every day i didn't have the z8, i had the z6ii, and i'd MUCH, MUCH rather have the z8 over the z6ii.

🤷‍♂️
I don’t have regrets but I have a Z 9 and Z 6ii so I could have followed my practice of not being an early adopter instead of falling for the Z 8 hype.

I’m very happy with my Z8. I’m able to get shots I was not able to get with my other cameras and it is a pleasure to use. I did not have the mount or lug issue, but I sent it in to be repaired. I appreciate that Nikon stepped up and they are taking care of issues and preventing them in the future. It’s a great camera!

I will never be an early adopter… unless its a product I really really want. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

The Z8 has been phenomenal and like others have mentioned above, surprisingly better than the Z6. I get a much higher keeper rate and i have a lot more confidence in the system. Yes, it was frustrating having to send it back for mount recall, but since I don't rely on the eyelets for safety I’ve decided to wait for “slow season” before shipping back for eyelet recall, by then I will have used it much more and taken numerous keeper/client images and think of it as a free cleaning and checkup 😁

Pre-ordered a week after announcement, received my Z8 in the first batch. My model is "affected" by both recall issues, but shows zero symptoms - all lenses mount smoothly, and I never use strap lugs (Peak Design or BlackRapid straps to tripod mount only, for me). Strap rings come off within seconds of unboxing.

Will send in during slower shooting months (Feb), but also - maybe not.

No regrets, it's an insanely good (and fun!) camera.

Remembering that you capture dogs in action, I totally get this. It is such a performance difference. But I do still love my Z6II. It's just been "reassigned" to tasks that don't require AF heavy-lifting. I'm actually doing more video now! Because I can leave my VND on the Z6II, it's ready to go all the time. And I still use the Z6II alongside the Z8 for indoor / low-light stage events (that sensor shines in low light!), where the AF actually does perfectly well too.

If you start with the preconceived notion that everything you buy is going to be perfect, no matter the price, you're going to be disappointed in life. On the other hand, I go through life with the notion that there are going to be bumps, breakages and unforeseen calamities...and I am prepared to deal with those matters by way of preparation, when possible, a clever mind to solve problems as they arrive at my doorstep and if it's not a matter of life or death, I'm not going to get all worked up about it.

Sounds like quite a few of you are glass half-full sort of people, but I'm very glad to see a lot of glass overflowing types that get out and live/do. As David Crosby once said, and I paraphrase, "Time is the only currency". I have a Z9 as backup, but in the meantime, I'll wait and send my Z8 for both fixes in a few months when things settle down. In the meantime, I'll be out taking photos/videos with it as I've been since receiving on the Friday after it started shipping. I never use the strap mounts anyway, preferring QD connectors on the camera plate or lens plate.
Considering that a lug failure could cause damage I wouldn't wait. I took less than a week for me to get mine back (Florida - Long Island and back)

Remembering that you capture dogs in action, I totally get this. It is such a performance difference. But I do still love my Z6II. It's just been "reassigned" to tasks that don't require AF heavy-lifting.
it’s a fair caveat. i look through action colored glasses and i sometimes forget that it’s a great camera if you’re not trying to capture crazy challenging action.
although i do much prefer having cameras with the same operating interface, and i probably would have switched just for that but i don’t mean to suggest it’s not a very nice camera

Last edited:
Back