Z 800mm PF or 600mm F4 E FL on Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z8, and can only afford one for wildlife photography. I currently have a Z 180-600mm .

Which would you choose..

Z8 with 600mm f4 E with ftz and occasional TC

Or Z 800 PF 6.3?

I have a Z8, and can only afford one for wildlife photography. I currently have a Z 180-600mm .

Which would you choose..

Z8 with 600mm f4 E with ftz and occasional TC

Or Z 800 PF 6.3?
That depends a lot on your primary subjects and how you prefer to work as in tripod or hand held.

That said, the Z8 pairs really nicely with the 800mm PF especially if you're primarily interested in birds.

I love my 600mm f/4 E FL, it's an incredible lens but I shoot it about 95% of the time from a tripod and much prefer my Z9 to my (ungripped) Z8 from the standpoint of balancing that big lens. It can certainly work fine with a Z8 and if you run a gripped Z8 then the balancing isn't an issue but if your subjects tend to the smaller size I'd probably opt for the 800mm PF for use with the Z8.

If you'll work a wide range of subjects, big and small and near and far then the 600mm E FL with a TC handy is more versatile and of course has an edge in low light situations when 600mm is enough lens.

I could have bought the 600mm f/4 TC trhough NPS but opted for the 800mm lens instead. Most of the time with a 600mm f/4 lens I have used a 1.4x teleconverter for 840mm at f/5.6. One third stop less with the 800mm f/6.3 PF lens and it is very light and well balanced.

For me the 600mm f/4 TC would require a tripod and gimbal head 100% of the time. The decision for me would be between the 600mm PF and the 800mm PF as both can be used without a tripod.

I would recommend the 800mm pf. I think that is a fantastic lens and easier to handle than the F mount 600mm f/4.

The combination of these two lenses will give you great flexibility and the shots at 800mm and beyond will be top quality.

It depends on your subjects and shooting style. What is your impression of the 180-600 that you already own? You mentioned that you would use the TC on the 600 occasionally so is an 800+ FL a rarity? If that’s the case and you want a faster lens with better iq, the 600 f/4 makes better sense.

This is a difficult question and similar to a decision I’ve been going back and forth on. Before last year, the longest lens I owned was 500mm. Now I have the 180-600mm and 400mm 4.5 + 1.4x TC. I think I’d like the 800mm and it would allow me be further away from the subject but I haven’t really used the focal length I don’t know how much value it would add for me. I’m trying to think of how and where I could use it (outside of birds). If you know whether you would use the focal length, that should help your decision. Because you said occasionally use the TC on the 600, it makes me think you wouldn’t find the 800 practical.

It's really tough to say. You mention occasional use of the TC, so if you're usually at 600mm, then maybe the 600mm is the way to go. Between the two lenses, I prefer the 800 PF - it's light and a Z series lens with all the Z series controls. However, if it's going to be to long for most of your work, it may not be a good fit, no matter how nice it is.

On the other hand, if you frequently find yourself at 800mm, then the 800PF is an easy choice. Also, if the F/stop isn't too slow, the 600PF might be a consideration as well.

depends entirely on what you need more - 600mm with the best light gathering, or 800mm

if you're usually at 600mm, I'd stick to the 600mm

if you're usually at 840mm, I think the 800mm lens is hands down the better choice.

Pretty much what @Steve said. I have Z9 not Z8 but have had the 600 f/4 E and now Z180-600 and the lens I use over 90% of the time the Z800pf. My bird ID photography needs more than 600mm the vast majority of the time.

The Z800 would for me be the clear choice of the the 600 f/4E

Pretty much what @Steve said. I have Z9 not Z8 but have had the 600 f/4 E and now Z180-600 and the lens I use over 90% of the time the Z800pf. My bird ID photography needs more than 600mm the vast majority of the time.

The Z800 would for me be the clear choice of the the 600 f/4E
This has been my experience as well.

Back