Z 800mm PF - Substitute Hood for Travel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

French Avocado

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have found the biggest problem with travel is the size of hoods. The 800 PF is fairly compact but that hood is very cumbersome and takes a ton of space in photo bag, photo pack or anything. I am planning an expedition adventure and do not want to have to pack the hood. Does anyone have a good experience with a substitute hood for travel?

I bought a Zemlin 2-piece hood for my Z 800 mm PF. It packs up smaller for travel than a single piece hood of the same total length. It stil has a significant diameter, so I put the hood in my luggage rather than in my camera backpack. I can also use only a single piece of the 2-piece hood if I want a smaller hood — say when it is windy. In general, I like Zemlin hoods. They seem well constructed and easy to use. I also have one for my 500 mm PF and my Z 100-400 mm lens.

I just got back from another week-long trip, including 2 segments of air travel. I used my carry-on-legal ThinkTank backpack. It held - 800PF with Zemlim hood, 500PF with Zemlin hood, Z9 body, D850 body w/grip, FTZ-II, F-mount 14-24/2.8, F-mount 70-200/2.8 and assorted stuff. It fit, hoods and all.

I also have the collapse able hoods, but unless the end of the lens has a ridge, I find that they do not work well and tend to slip and slide. So, I've switched to bringing the Zemlin hoods and they pack well for me.

I third the recommendation for the Lens coat travel hood..I have both, the large , and small. I use them when traveling, they can be placed flat in your luggage taking up virtually no room. Easy to put on, stay in place, and do what they are suppose to do...

I third the recommendation for the Lens coat travel hood..I have both, the large , and small. I use them when traveling, they can be placed flat in your luggage taking up virtually no room. Easy to put on, stay in place, and do what they are suppose to do...

Thank @mdirvin. Which of those two fit best on the 800mm PF?

Easy to put on, stay in place, and do what they are suppose to do...
The man who makes Zemlin is on a long ration and is likely to have significant back orders when he returns.

I find the Nikon hood stays in place once the drawcord is tightened around the bayonet end of the reversed hood.

Back