Z Teleconverter 2.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks for the link and the detailed analysis. 👍

In the meantime, I got one into my hands and was out yesterday for a short test.
I'm quite impressed with the outcome, compared with the results from my Sigma 800 f5.6. All images are hand-held for the test. The images aren't cropped but resized.
Even the VR does a fantastic job!

20220730_160735-z72_3291-d_w.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm quite impressed with the outcome, compared with the results from my Sigma 800 f5.6. All images are hand-held for the test.

20220730_162253-z72_3353-d_w.jpg
20220730_160734-z72_3290-d_w.jpg

….
The Magnification ratio of a 100-400 F4.5 to F6.3 lens is 4 to1 add a two times TC and those F4.5-F6.3 figures F9 to F12.6 may not really sing as sweet as one would hope unless its blindingly bright sunlight. ….
The Z 100-400 is f5.6 at the long end, so with the Z 2x TC it is f9 to f11. Still a 2 stop penalty in light/aperture, as you note.

I have the two Z TCs which I initially bought to use with the Z 70-200 before the Z 100-400 came out. The Z 1.4x TC is better, but the Z 2x TC is still quite good and usable on this lens.

As I noted above, I have used the Z 1.4x TC on the Z 100-400 and think it is quite good optically if losing a stop of light/aperture is acceptable.

In his recent talk on Nikon long lenses, Brad Hill noted that the Z 100-400 was quite sharp through 350 mm and was less sharp at 400 mm (but still useable and definitely not soft). Brad noted that the Z 2x TC worked well with the Z 100-400 up to 350 mm (for a total combination of 700 mm with the TC). There was another thread on the forum talking about Brad’s presentation and there are links to it in that thread and on Brad’s website.

I was out in my kayak two days ago using the Z9 with the Z 100-400 and the Z 2x TC. I was photographing a couple of loon families and their chicks. I decided on this outing to limit myself to 700 mm or less, given Brad’s comments. Still going through my shots. F11 can be challenging if the light is low, as it was when the clouds came over and the loons were in shade and darker water (along shore, based on reflections of the pine forest). Given the wind and waves, the kayak was drifting and rolling a bit. Same for the loons, in addition to swimming slowly. So I could not drop my shutter speed too low. Normally I would prefer 1/2000 or 1/2500 here, but dropped it to 1/1600 and 1/1250 and shot in bursts. Moved it back up to 1/2000 whenever the sun came out.

Pretty high ISOs when the sun was shaded and the water dark. Topaz DeNoise helped. But in this case, at 700 mm, I’d be better off with the 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII, as that would get me to 700 mm but is an f8 combination rather than f11.

On the other hand, the loons can be closer at times and zoom flexibility is often highly useful. I could take a 500 mm PF and TC on the Z9 and the Z 100-400 on a Z7II, but that makes my kayak cockpit a bit crowded and AF on the Z7II is not as good as the Z9.

I liked a number of the shots, especially when there was more light. Even at 700 mm, I ended up cropping them significantly. There’s only so close you can get without scaring them off or disturbing them. Some loon families are more skittish and others less. (And you can get closer in a kayak than any other water vehicle I have tried.) I converted my HE* raw files in ACR with no sharpening or noise reduction (other than color noise reduction) and then used Topaz DeNoise and Topaz Sharpen in Photoshop. May have sharpened them more than I would have done with the 500 mm PF and 1.4x TCIII.

There are certainly trade offs here. And I will do more testing for the kind of shooting I do. But my initial reaction is that the Z 100-400 plus Z 2x TC is worthwhile when I need a longer focal length and zoom flexibility (and don’t want to have 2 bodies with me).

Last edited:
Here is a SmugMug gallery with a few shots from Friday of two common loon families. Used my Z9 with the Z 100-400 and Z 2x TC. Shot at 700 mm or less. Wide Area Large with animal only detection on for AF. Manual with auto ISO. I added captions to show the settings for each shot.

HE* raw files converted in ACR. No sharpening or noise reduction in ACR (other than color noise reduction). Various adjustments in ACR. Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen used in Photoshop. Saved as jpegs and uploaded to SmugMug.

The singe loon chick and parent were photographed on Burntside Lake (before and after paddling from Burntside to West Twin Lake). The two loon chicks and parent were photographed on West Twin Lake. Ely, MN. Handheld from my kayak looking to see how this lens and TC combination might fare in typical summer shooting for me. I have quite a few more shots to look through, but generally liked these. You will note that I have two crops included for some of the photos. I generally liked the tighter crops better, but included both.

Hi,

I‘m looking for sample images and/or experiences of using a Z 100-400 in combination with the TC Z 2.0 preferably attached to a Z7ii. According to Nikon, that lens is entitled to be used with the TC 2.0. But, what about the image quality and the AF performance?

I'm used to having the old TC-20E in combination with the 80-400G attached to my D500.

So, I‘m familiar with the downsides of using a TC, especially a 2x. I don’t want to start a discussion about TC. I already know about the successful usage of 1.4x.

André

I think your asking for a lot with a TC 2 on a 100-400..............hopefully it works for you

The issue isn’t that t(en2.p version isn’t as good as the 1.4…that’s pretty obvious. The issue is whether it’s good enough or if shooting with the 1.4 and cropping is better…but not at the pixel peeping 1:1 level…rather at the place print or screen where the output is intended. I have both of the TCs as well as both the 70-200 and 100-400 and the 500PF…and while there are differences I haven’t compared the actual outputs enough yet to really make a determination. I have found little to no difference with the 1.4 for screen output…so it’s on the lens a lot. I’m still on the fence re going to 800 or cropping the 560 a little more…with the Z9 and Z7II I’ve got lots of pixels. But I can see situations…like the bear vs wolf confrontation over a bison killed in a mating fight out in Lamar Valley a couple years back…where because the carcass was 400 or 500 yards out there…where it’s a choice of using the 2.0 or not getting the shot. Mine were all essentially environmental shots anyway…and I was using a Tamron 150-600 G2 on a D7500…so getting a portrait shot simply wasn’t in the cards and the rangers weren’t letting anyone close the scene. Not great shots…but better than no shots.

Have to consider the output…print is different than screen and selling vs memory of the stare down is also different…and sometimes better is the enemy of good enough.

Here is a SmugMug gallery with a few shots from Friday of two common loon families. Used my Z9 with the Z 100-400 and Z 2x TC. Shot at 700 mm or less. Wide Area Large with animal only detection on for AF. Manual with auto ISO. I added captions to show the settings for each shot.

HE* raw files converted in ACR. No sharpening or noise reduction in ACR (other than color noise reduction). Various adjustments in ACR. Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen used in Photoshop. Saved as jpegs and uploaded to SmugMug.

The singe loon chick and parent were photographed on Burntside Lake (before and after paddling from Burntside to West Twin Lake). The two loon chicks and parent were photographed on West Twin Lake. Ely, MN. Handheld from my kayak looking to see how this lens and TC combination might fare in typical summer shooting for me. I have quite a few more shots to look through, but generally liked these. You will note that I have two crops included for some of the photos. I generally liked the tighter crops better, but included both.

And as I noted…this is a situation where good enough is…well…good enough. Would using the 1.4 and cropping a little more be better? Dunno…but for any particular situation the camera and lens and TC combo you have in hand might be better than something you can have in 30 seconds that misses the shot.

Back