Z600pf replacement foot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Greetings from the rainy side of the pond.
I want to get an Arca Swiss compatible foot for my z600 pf. Of the ones that Thom recommends, I can get the following over here:

Haoge LF-Z72

Leftfoto Replacement Lens Foot Tripod Mount

iShoot Metal Lens Collar Foot Stand Tripod Mount Ring Base

Wimberley AP-501

The Wimberley’s the most expensive- obviously.
Anyone have any experience of the others?
Or any recommendations - but RRS & Kirk are difficult to find over here.

I just added the Kirk LP-70 foot to my Nikon 600mm Z mount pf lens. I bought it at B&H Photo. I believe they ship to the UK, but I do not know the details. It seems to fit well, but I had to tighten the knob to fully lock it down.

Or any recommendations - but RRS & Kirk are difficult to find over here.
I have the LCF-21 RRS Foot (actually three of them -- 70-200 / 400 4.5 / 600 PF). I find their products to be higher priced but very well made. Unfortunately, it appears that they don't ship to the United Kingdom. Not sure why.

Update: I have had the RRS foot on my 70-200 for two years with no failure at all. It secures tightly and stays secure when attached to my gimbal or when shooting handheld. When shooting, I check the foot attachment every ten to fifteen minutes or so. I've never had to retighten. On a gimbal with the 400 4.5 and 600 PF I always use a safety strap, just in case.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have a Kirk replacement foot (z600tc) and RRS foot (180-400tc) -- both work and both became 'invisible' once I had them installed -- meaning I'm not sure why I spent so much time trying to figure out which one to buy :) Had the RRS foot first and admittedly it does 'look' nicer and has the padded handle thingy. Initially I didn't like the screws not being flush with the foot on the Kirk (chosen 'cause it was the cheapest of the 'quality' options. But ,again, other than the regular check that they haven't overridden the lock tight I simply don't give them a second thought. Simply, buy what's available and least expensive (and still a quality brand).

I have a Hejnar foot NFR-008 on my 600PF. It is set up for the QD connector and balances extremely well with my Z9 on a Black Rapid strap. I have them also on my 400 4.5 and the 100-400 zoom. It would appear that they do ship to the UK, but I have no idea on costs.

I just added the Kirk LP-70 foot to my Nikon 600mm Z mount pf lens. I bought it at B&H Photo. I believe they ship to the UK, but I do not know the details. It seems to fit well, but I had to tighten the knob to fully lock it down.
B&H Photo do ship to the UK and deliveries normally take about 5-6 working days. You can also pay UK tax up-front when you buy from B&H so you don't need to worry about paying duty when the foot arrives in the UK. Postage is much less than ordering directly from Kirk.

I have had a catastrophic failure with the Kirk foot. Basically the foot came loose and slid off the mount causing camera and lens to fall to the ground. Fortunately for me, this happened on soft grass and I had no damage. This could have been catastrophic if it happened in a different location. The equipment that fell included a Z9 and the Z 400mm f4.5. This same style foot is used, as I understand, on the 70-200mm f2.8, the 100-400mm, the 400mm f4.5 and the 600mm pf.

the lens feet used on this lens typically have a quick release feature that allows the foot to be quickly removed from the lens. In my experience these are weak links and can come loose in ordinary use. I had actual failure with the Kirk foot, I know the RRS and OEM feet are built this way but I have had only one actual failure, and with the Kirk.

You can use these feet but you are advised to have a safety strap and you also have to check constantly to make sure it is secure.

In my opinion you are better off with a foot that bolts solidly into the lens mount. Both the Wimberley and Hejnar feet are built this way. Of those two, only the Hejnar also includes a QD socket if you use QD connectors.

After what happened to me I would not trust one of those quick release style feet.

I have two lenses that use this style feet, and I am in the process of replacing their feet with the Hejnar version. I now have left over Kirk and RRS feet that I will no longer use and will not sell because of this issue.

I have had a catastrophic failure with the Kirk foot. Basically the foot came loose and slid off the mount causing camera and lens to fall to the ground. Fortunately for me, this happened on soft grass and I had no damage. This could have been catastrophic if it happened in a different location. The equipment that fell included a Z9 and the Z 400mm f4.5. This same style foot is used, as I understand, on the 70-200mm f2.8, the 100-400mm, the 400mm f4.5 and the 600mm pf.
You can add the 500mm pf lens to the list, I think where this all started (think Steve's original review mentioned this then, it came loose during his tests)? At least that is when I first heard about it (when I got that lens). That was 6 years ago! Nikon hasn't listened to the negative comments on this foot design since then.

You can add the 500mm pf lens to the list, I think where this all started (think Steve's original review mentioned this then, it came loose during his tests)? At least that is when I first heard about it (when I got that lens). That was 6 years ago! Nikon hasn't listened to the negative comments on this foot design since then.
This is indeed an unfortunate design choice. Not worth the risk for the small convenience of being able to quickly release the foot from the lens.

I just got my Hejnar replacement. The direct Allen bolt connection is much more solid and you can even choose loctite for extra security. If the bolt started to work loose you would have plenty of warning before a catastropic failure.

For the weight of the 600PF, I'd go with the Haoge. I've been using that one on my Z800PF and have no complaints other than it's a bit shorter than what I'd wish it to be (+1cm).

However, for the Z600TC I went crazy and bought the Zenelli one. Longer and nicer feeling when holding and carrying by the foot.

For the 500PF I chose the Wimberley with it's "spring pin" design. That one has been used and abused in the bush and have never had it becoming loose.

Greetings from the rainy side of the pond.
I want to get an Arca Swiss compatible foot for my z600 pf. Of the ones that Thom recommends, I can get the following over here:
Hejnar…cheaper than the other alternatives and just as good IMO. I‘m reasonably sure he would ship across the pond.

Hejnar…cheaper than the other alternatives and just as good IMO. I‘m reasonably sure he would ship across the pond.
Have previously ordered a Hejnar foot for my Nikon 500mm PF which was delivered to the UK without any problems. Customs fees may have to be paid on arrival in the UK to ensure prompt delivery.
The foot is held in place with a bolt and I also use some blue loctite to make it even more secure. It is a good option if you plan to keep the foot attached most of the time. Can still however be removed relatively easily with the supplied allen key. The QD mount allows the camera and lens to be used with a shoulder strap, so that it is always ready for action.

Last edited:

This is indeed an unfortunate design choice. Not worth the risk for the small convenience of being able to quickly release the foot from the lens.
The Nikon button is not a quick release function. It is a safety function. https://bcgforums.com/threads/z-foot-mount-issues.36087/

The Nikon button is not a quick release function. It is a safety function. https://bcgforums.com/threads/z-foot-mount-issues.36087/
To be clear, there are two systems for feet in these lenses. One system contains a combination of a knob for tightening the foot in place and a lever which acts as a safety lock. Those are designed to allow you to quickly remove the foot by loosening the knob and pressing the release lever.

The other system does not have a knob or release lever. Instead the foot bolts directly into the lens. To remove the foot you would need to remove the mounting bolt.

All I know from my personal experience is that I used a Kirk replacement foot I bought new on the Z 400mm f4.5 S lens. The foot uses the knob/leer system described above. I mounted the combination on a Holdfast strap. While carrying the lens and Z9 on the strap the knob and locking lever failed to hold the foot on the lens, it slid out completely and the lens and camera fell to the ground. I had no warning that anything was loose and I was caught completely by surprise when the lens foot separated.

II now believe the knob/lever system is not a safe choice for mounting the foot. I think bolting the foot directly into the lens with an Allen bolt is a much safer connection.

I took a closer look at my Z400 4.5 to try to figure out how the Kirk foot managed to work loose. I was able to compare it to the similar-purpose RRS foot.

there appear to be some design differences between the RRS and the Kirk.

The release button on the RRS is recessed and more difficult to press. In addition the spring which puts tension on the button seems to be a bit more robust.

By contrast the Kirk release button actually stands out from the base. It is in a position where your hand can press against the button while carrying the lens potentially inadvertently releasing the lock.

In any respect, the Hejnar direct-bolt foot is a much more trustworthy connection. the foot can't even come off until the mounting bolt is completely removed from the lens.

My advice is not to trust any of the quick release feet on these lenses, go for the direct bolt option.

I have yet to mount my Z8+600pf so don't really "need" an arca-swiss compatible foot so I replaced it with the Henjar NFR-001-LP low profile foot "just in case" I do need to mount it, but especially for the QD attachment which I use all the time to carry it with a Black Rapid sport strap. I really like the low profile because it's "out of the way" and is much less obtrusive than the OEM or typical high-profile replacement foots.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-06-01-180958.jpg
    IMG_2024-06-01-180958.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 33
I have yet to mount my Z8+600pf so don't really "need" an arca-swiss compatible foot so I replaced it with the Henjar NFR-001-LP low profile foot "just in case" I do need to mount it, but especially for the QD attachment which I use all the time to carry it with a Black Rapid sport strap. I really like the low profile because it's "out of the way" and is much less obtrusive than the OEM or typical high-profile replacement foots.
How do you carry the combo by hand? Does the low-profile foot give you a "tight" space between the foot and the lens for your hand/fingers?

It is a "safety" function to release the foot in the field by pressing on the button after loosening the knob? Something I never want to do and don't know anyone who does. You can argue it anyway you want, but on my "old lenses" (500mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8) the feet were bolted to the lens and did not have this "feature". A design I found perfectly satisfactory. So prefer switching to the feet (like the Hejnar) which bolt to the lens like these older lenses feet. Also, personally, I find the knob often gets in my way, and prefer not having it at all (and the button to).

Last edited:
How do you carry the combo by hand? Does the low-profile foot give you a "tight" space between the foot and the lens for your hand/fingers?
By just holding the camera -- it's so small and light there's no need to hold it by the foot. There's no space for fingers between the foot and the lens body, but that's also what makes it so compact. But I'd strongly suggest the Black Rapid Sports strap -- it provides a very comfortable hands-free carry but still provides instant access. I have it with me all the time even when I'm also carrying my Z9+800pf on a sachtler tripod on my shoulder.

It is a "safety" function to release the foot in the field by pressing on the button after loosening the knob? Something I never want to do and don't know anyone who does. You can argue it anyway you want, but on my "old lenses" (500mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8) the feet were bolted to the lens and did not have this "feature". A design I found perfectly satisfactory. So prefer switching to the feet (like the Hejnar) which bolt to the lens like these older lenses feet. Also, personally, I find the knob often gets in my way, and prefer not having it at all (and the button to).
Sometimes I take the foot off, sometimes I don't. The safety aspect is that the accidental loosening of the knob is less likely to result in a fall because there is an extra line of defence. But if you prefer to leave the foot on all the time, bolting it on would be safer.

I’ve used a Black Rapid backpack strap for the las couple of years, both with the 600 and before with the 500pf. Never had a foot come loose. But I have a tripod & monopod with Arca Swiss clamps & it would save putting a plate on for the rare occasions I use them. The plates are a bit of a Pita to put on & take off.
And I did scrape the paint off the 500pf foot a bit. Fortunately they didn’t drop the trade-in price for it

Back