Z600pf replacement foot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It is not that difficult to remove a foot that is bolted in. Just have to unbolt and remove one bolt.

If I were doing that I would add a T Allen wrench to my kit.

For me having the foot attached is necessary to be able to use almost any strap, I think any lens that comes with a foot should be supported from the lens, not the camera body. Less stress on the camera bayonet mount.

The foot can get in the way when shooting handheld. I usually rotate it to the top or side to get it out of the way.

The other thing I want to clarify is that Hejnar has two different styles of foot for these lenses. One version is similar in depth to the other feet. When mounted this foot can be used as a handle tor carrying the lens. There is room enough underneath for a normal hand grip even for a big guy like me. Hejnar also offers a low profile version, I have not tried one of those.

It is not that difficult to remove a foot that is bolted in. Just have to unbolt and remove one bolt.

For me having the foot attached is necessary to be able to use almost any strap, I think any lens that comes with a foot should be supported from the lens, not the camera body. Less stress on the camera bayonet mount.

The foot can get in the way when shooting handheld. I usually rotate it to the top or side to get it out of the way.

The other thing I want to clarify is that Hejnar has two different styles of foot for these lenses. One version is similar in depth to the other feet. When mounted this foot can be used as a handle tor carrying the lens. There is room enough underneath for a normal hand grip even for a big guy like me. Hejnar also offers a low profile version, I have not tried one of thos

The other thing I want to clarify is that Hejnar has two different styles of foot for these lenses. One version is similar in depth to the other feet. When mounted this foot can be used as a handle tor carrying the lens. There is room enough underneath for a normal hand grip even for a big guy like me. Hejnar also offers a low profile version, I have not tried one of those.
Do you use a BlackRapid or similar?

Do you use a BlackRapid or similar?
I use a BlackRapid with the Arca Swiss attachment, so use the Hejnar foot to attach to it. Also occasionally put on a tripod with the foot. Like Wotan, if handholding, just turn the foot up if it is in the way. I have yet to see someone while out shooting remove or put a foot on. Seems to me a feature that is not used and adding cost to the lens (having the knob, release mechanism, etc).

Another benefit of the Hejnar 600mm foot is that it has 2 QD holes. So you have a choice of where to balance.
Like the others, I use a Black Rapid Sport. In the second QD hole I fix my small "just in case the QD fails" strap.

Attachments

• Black Rapid QD.jpg
    Black Rapid QD.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
I use the Black Rapid strap Sport model for my lenses with tripod collar feet. I have added a small QR clamp to the end of the BR screw. This way the QR clamp gets attached to the tripod collar foot with an arca swiss base or a separate arca swiss lens plate added to the foot. Something like this:

I guess I don't understand the issue.... Just trying to understand.....

I have the Kirk foot replacements on my 100-400, 70-200 f2.8 and 400 f4.5. With the locking knob fully tightened, I can press the release lever and absolutely nothing happens. The foot is solidly attached to the lens. I often carry the lens by the foot.

Is the issue that not fully tightening the locking knob (and periodically checking it) creates the potential for the foot coming loose? Is this really a design issue or a user issue?

I have the same Kirk foot on my 600mm pf. . Your practice is exactly the same as mine. And that is great . The key is to keep the knob fully tightened so the release lever does nothing if you touch it by mistake. Bad things can happen with a "slightly loose" knob if you touch the release lever by mistake--the lens falls off the foot.

I have the Kirk foot replacements on my 100-400, 70-200 f2.8 and 400 f4.5. With the locking knob fully tightened, I can press the release lever and absolutely nothing happens. The foot is solidly attached to the lens. I often carry the lens by the foot.

Is the issue that not fully tightening the locking knob (and periodically checking it) creates the potential for the foot coming loose? Is this really a design issue or a user issue?
For me personally, this is a very poor design. In a perfect world, I would remember everything I need to do. However, due to my aging brain, time zone changes when traveling, getting up super early for a shoot, etc I often forget things that I need to do while shooting. So one more thing that I need to worry about is not what I want in the design of my gear. Especially one that has such dire consequences if I forget. And personally I would never remove my foot during a shoot and have never seen anyone else do this. Plus, the few times I picked up a lens with the knob, I found the presence of a knob annoying. So whether you call this a user issue or design issue, IMO it is a very poor design and presumably costs extra to have a knob, release lever, etc. So hopefully Nikon will abandon this "feature" and add a feature (like the Arca Swiss groove on the foot) that is utilized by more people.

Last edited:

This topic sure gets a lot of discussion. Like you I don't get it. I wonder if the same people who have problems with the foot tend to have their kit fall of a tripod now and then for the knob not being tight? That said I don't like the design. I'm not sure who/what type of photographers have the need for this design. Who needs a tripod mount one minute and wants the foot removed for handheld shooting the next? Seems like you either need/want the foot or not. If not it's easy enough to remove a few screws and remove it. I for one was glad when Hejnar started making bolt on feet to replace the removable Nikon design. The Hejnar has been my replacement of choice. As a matter of fact just hours ago I ordered one for the 600PF.

This topic sure gets a lot of discussion. Like you I don't get it. I wonder if the same people who have problems with the foot tend to have their kit fall of a tripod now and then for the knob not being tight? That said I don't like the design. I'm not sure who/what type of photographers have the need for this design. Who needs a tripod mount one minute and wants the foot removed for handheld shooting the next? Seems like you either need/want the foot or not. If not it's easy enough to remove a few screws and remove it. I for one was glad when Hejnar started making bolt on feet to replace the removable Nikon design. The Hejnar has been my replacement of choice. As a matter of fact just hours ago I ordered one for the 600PF.
I ordered one (for 600mm PF too) two days ago and it will arrive on Sat. :)

So I bought the Haoge LF -Z72. It was delivered this afternoon, so I haven’t had a proper play yet. But I did seem to have to tighten it up much more than the Nikon. I’ll keepthe Black Rapid on the Nikon, and change to the Haoge for monopod/tripod work

Back