Z6ii firmware won't update!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

luckmurph

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi all, has anyone else had any issues in loading the new firmware update?
I first tried it by snap bridge but a message came up on the camera saying update failed to load!! now i can't find it in snap bridge to try again, deleted the app and loaded it but its showing version 1.21 on the app whereas before it was showing update available!!

Then i tried to load it to my memory card which it did successfully but when i put it in the camera and get firmware version up on the screen its only showing the old version and no option to see updated version, i have tried this numerous times formatting the card each time but no luck!!
Can anyone shed any light is there something obvious im not doing

Thanks Andy

Updating the Camera Firmware
  1. Download F-Z6II-V130M.dmg.
  2. Double-click the F-Z6II-V130M.dmg icon to mount a disk image containing a folder named “Z6IIUpdate”, which in turn contains the following file:
    • Z6_2_0130.bin (the camera firmware)
  3. Using a card reader, copy “Z6_2_0130.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
    Note: Be sure to copy the firmware to the root (top-most) directory of the memory card. The camera will not recognize the new firmware if it is placed in a folder under the root directory.
  4. Insert the memory card into the slot currently selected as the primary slot on the camera and turn the camera on.
  5. Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
  6. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
  7. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.
Note: For detailed instructions or information on the equipment needed to complete the update, download the following pdf file:
Z-series_FirmUp_Mac_En.pdf (PDF) (0.25 MB)

What I don't like about the Nikon firmware update process is that when you launch the .exe file that you download from Nikon nothing appears to happen, no dialog or progress screen of any type, it does however create a folder that contains the .bin file that is needed to be copied to the card used for updating in camera. Just make sure the .bin file is then copied to the card, not in any folder on the card.

What I don't like about the Nikon firmware update process is that when you launch the .exe file that you download from Nikon nothing appears to happen, no dialog or progress screen of any type, it does however create a folder that contains the .bin file that is needed to be copied to the card used for updating in camera. Just make sure the .bin file is then copied to the card, not in any folder on the card.
Agreed, that's thrown me a few times in the past. I have to use Windows or Mac tools to check to see if it actually spawned the new folder and extracted the .bin file into it. It's not all that hard to code some kind of visual indication that the process is working or completed successfully.

Updating the Camera Firmware
  1. Download F-Z6II-V130M.dmg.
  2. Double-click the F-Z6II-V130M.dmg icon to mount a disk image containing a folder named “Z6IIUpdate”, which in turn contains the following file:
    • Z6_2_0130.bin (the camera firmware)
  3. Using a card reader, copy “Z6_2_0130.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
    Note: Be sure to copy the firmware to the root (top-most) directory of the memory card. The camera will not recognize the new firmware if it is placed in a folder under the root directory.
  4. Insert the memory card into the slot currently selected as the primary slot on the camera and turn the camera on.
  5. Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
  6. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
  7. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.
Note: For detailed instructions or information on the equipment needed to complete the update, download the following pdf file:
Z-series_FirmUp_Mac_En.pdf (PDF) (0.25 MB)
Thanks again Nick, just tried that again twice!! still no joy! hmmmm......

Hi all, has anyone else had any issues in loading the new firmware update?
I first tried it by snap bridge but a message came up on the camera saying update failed to load!! now i can't find it in snap bridge to try again, deleted the app and loaded it but its showing version 1.21 on the app whereas before it was showing update available!!

Then i tried to load it to my memory card which it did successfully but when i put it in the camera and get firmware version up on the screen its only showing the old version and no option to see updated version, i have tried this numerous times formatting the card each time but no luck!!
Can anyone shed any light is there something obvious im not doing

Thanks Andy
Your Z6II has two slots. Do you have the memory card with the update in the slot that is designated as your primary slot? I think it needs to be in that slot to be seen for an update.

Every time I update I have to re-read the directions, as others have said the software needs to be "at the top" of whatever. I download it and pull out the file and then it on my desktop to pull onto the card. Then it will load as a primary file.

If you put the memory card into your card reader what files do you see in the top level folder? Is it a .bin file?

Also what is the name of the file you downloaded from the Nikon site? Just wondering if you have the Z 7II version rather than the Z 6II version?

I find the Nikon firmware update process significantly easier than on my Olympus cameras.

If you put the memory card into your card reader what files do you see in the top level folder? Is it a .bin file?

Also what is the name of the file you downloaded from the Nikon site? Just wondering if you have the Z 7II version rather than the Z 6II version?

I find the Nikon firmware update process significantly easier than on my Olympus cameras.
a couple of pictures as what's on the card!!
IMG_6381.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_6382.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Every time I update I have to re-read the directions, as others have said the software needs to be "at the top" of whatever. I download it and pull out the file and then it on my desktop to pull onto the card. Then it will load as a primary file.
Yes that's how I've been doing it!! obviously somethings not quite right!!

Back