Z6iii - HELP - What Do You Want To Know?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many in this forum, I have both the Z8 and Z9. I’m interested in knowing how the Z6iii compares to the Z8/Z9. In short, what will a Z6iii offer that I don’t already get from my Z8/Z9s, and conversely, what do I get from my Z8/Z9s that I would miss in a Z6iii.
Said slightly differently, when (ie for what kind of shooting) would I choose the Z6iii over my Z8/Z9?

I find the Z9 to have stickier AF than the Zf. Not to a degree that it matters for most subjects, but it is noticeable on faces or animals, especially if they’re moving. I want to know two things, primarily:

1) How does stickiness of AF tracking measure up to the Zf and Z8/9?
2) When are we getting a Z7 III? 😉 (cause I need to be able to crop for my wildlife camera.)

I’m also curious about electronic shutter banding resistance. All these mile-high specs we get for electronic shutter are nice, but they aren’t worth much if the camera candy-stripes your photos as soon as you get near artificial lighting.

we going to take bets on features? my bet is it will.
What makes you believe/bet it will?

Nikon could have done it already, and the fact they didn’t do it, suggests to me they don’t believe it belongs. When Nikon doesn’t believe in something, for example: giving the option to set banks to be sticky or not, they won’t budge. Stubborn.

Unless they think the Z6-3 is the bigger brother of the Z30 for vlogging, then they might do it.

Meanwhile Sony is listening somehow to feedback and implementing features suitable for the field.

What makes you believe/bet it will?

Nikon could have done it already, and the fact they didn’t do it, suggests to me they don’t believe it belongs. When Nikon doesn’t believe in something, for example: giving the option to set banks to be sticky or not, they won’t budge. Stubborn.

Unless they think the Z6-3 is the bigger brother of the Z30 for vlogging, then they might do it.

Meanwhile Sony is listening somehow to feedback and implementing features suitable for the field.
1) zf

there’s nothing about “retro” that screams flippy-screen. but it got one. i think this is a sign this is what they plan to do on the midline bodies

2) the z6iii is the upscale, camera for the masses, and people will expect to be able to vlog. reasons given to not put it on z8/z9 was durability. the z6 doesn’t need to pass that bar

Last edited:
I shoot with vintage manual focus lenses a lot, so I'd like to know if the Z6iii has the same manual focus features (IIRC some form of face detection) and the first pressure on the shutter release when punched in to focus will revert to normal viewfinder rather than having to press the punch in button again.
EDIT: As the Zf AF!

Last edited:
1) zf

there’s nothing about “retro” that screams flippy-screen. but it got one. i think this is a sign this is what they plan to do on the midline bodies

2) the z6iii is the upscale, camera for the masses, and people will expect to be able to vlog. reasons given to not put it on z8/z9 was durability. the z6 doesn’t need to pass that bar
Durability? Is that the real reason?
Sony’s new global shutter camera will brake? Hmmm…. I don’t buy it.

Will there be a need for a Z7iii? Or will the upgrades in the Z6iii combined with what the Z8 gave us leave little room for the Z7 series?
Thom Hogan appears to indicate there’s more to come regarding the Z 7.

Does Z6iii sort the following, Steve?
  • Slideshow EVF torture!
  • Poor customisation options of the ii series
  • Mediocre AF performance of the ii series
Does it deliver in-the-field meaningful low light improvement, compared with Z8/9

Will there be a need for a Z7iii? Or will the upgrades in the Z6iii combined with what the Z8 gave us leave little room for the Z7 series?
Z7 iii will need to be very different from the Z 7ii. Perhaps 60 MP, otherwise it is too similar to the Z 8

I’d like to get a feel for how confident you are in your assessments, particularly AF, depending on how much opportunity you’ve had for testing. My plan is to wait 6 months and see how the hype pans out in reality, but your confidence levels (or not!) might change that.

I'd like to know how it compares to the Z9 and z8, and whether it gets close in performance.

Should a currently user consider getting the z6iii as an "almost there" alternative? Especially if one is trying to leave something in the lens budget. Is this the right camera for a dslr holdout to get as a 1st mirrorless?

Is it a good option for landscape and macro as well as wildlife? The z6ii and z7ii are great for landscape, I've heard, but not anywhere near the z8 and z9 for wildlife and fast moving subjects.

What about low light performance? High iso and night conditions like owling, night creatures, and astro?

I also like using older manual focus glass and would like to know how it works for this.

Ergonomics, customization and button layout is really an important consideration for me as well.

Thanks! I'm hoping to make the mirrorless jump this Fall, so an increase in options is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back