Z7 EVF doesn't auto brighten in Manual

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I use the EVF in the automatic brightness mode it works fine when I am using Shutter preferred or Aperture preferred but when I shoot in manual it does not brighten. When I use either on camera flash or remote flash I have to set the camera exposure to manual and once I do that the evf stays dark and I am guessing on what's happening. I get a momentary look when the focus assist light comes on but that's all. I can't find a menu setting that I could change as the menu selection is already set on automatic for evf brightening. Anyone have a solution (Nikon support suggested I switch to manual brightening but that is cumbersome). My main concern is if this is just a shortcoming of the program or my camera is broken. Any help is appreciated.

Did what you said, helped on some cases but when the scene is real dark nothing changed. The scene may be darker than the EVF can compensate for. You are a gentlemen and scholar and all round nice guy.

Did what you said, helped on some cases but when the scene is real dark nothing changed. The scene may be darker than the EVF can compensate for. You are a gentlemen and scholar and all round nice guy.

And yes, it's possible that it' just too dark for a good view too. Still, it has to be pretty dark for it not to work - usually modeling lights are enough.

You hit it on the head. In some situations the modeling lamp was enough, in others it was not. I will just have to have the modeling lamp on full power from now on. The real problem is going to be on camera flash as there is no modeling light. Oh well, I should just be happy I have half a solution.

Back