Z7ii - 3 Year Anniversary 'Release Date'

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In 2 days, it'll be 3 years since the Z7ii got released. I'm thinking of picking one up over the Z8 because I don't do BIF, although I'm hoping the Z7ii can do some BIF. Anyhow, not knowing what Nikon is up to in the new year - Ie. New Z7iii or even better a pro crop sensor Z body that represents the D500 back in the day would be ideal.

My thought is that the Z7ii because of it's high MP count, I shoot in DX for wildlife, and for landscapes/etc, full frame.

I'm on the fence at the moment....thinking I should wait until 2024 to see what Nikon might have in store. I don't need the Z7ii yet, but will in 2024 in the summer, so I can wait.

Thoughts?

I'd wait a while if you're not desperate. No reason when they might release new bodies first half of next year (and that's just my opinion, not any insider info or anything at all).

That said ,the z7 (and 2) can do bif, just with a lower hit rate. I got swallows with the gen 1, so it's doable.

In 2 days, it'll be 3 years since the Z7ii got released. I'm thinking of picking one up over the Z8 because I don't do BIF, although I'm hoping the Z7ii can do some BIF. Anyhow, not knowing what Nikon is up to in the new year - Ie. New Z7iii or even better a pro crop sensor Z body that represents the D500 back in the day would be ideal.

My thought is that the Z7ii because of it's high MP count, I shoot in DX for wildlife, and for landscapes/etc, full frame.

I'm on the fence at the moment....thinking I should wait until 2024 to see what Nikon might have in store. I don't need the Z7ii yet, but will in 2024 in the summer, so I can wait.

Thoughts?
The Z7II is pretty darned good for a lot of things, but the slower frame rate and less capable AF over the Z8 make it not that great for BIF. Not terrible, but not that great either.

One consideration in choosing Z7ii or Z8 is ergonomics. The Z8 is larger and for someone like me with large hands, it is ideal. (Adding the SmallRig L Bracket which extends the height just a bit made it even better). The Z7ii is too small for me (unless I add the battery grip), but for someone with smaller hands it might be preferred. Of course if you are using telephoto lenses I feel the smaller Z7ii does not balance well with the lens.

One consideration in choosing Z7ii or Z8 is ergonomics. The Z8 is larger and for someone like me with large hands, it is ideal. (Adding the SmallRig L Bracket which extends the height just a bit made it even better). The Z7ii is too small for me (unless I add the battery grip), but for someone with smaller hands it might be preferred. Of course if you are using telephoto lenses I feel the smaller Z7ii does not balance well with the lens.

I've got small hands but prefer bigger bodies.

Yeah...the smaller size is attractive and keeping it for my walking around and non photo travel rig is a consideration…but I need to see what the difference is between the 2 bodies is with the 24-120 mounted…at that point it’s smaller than the Z8 still but haven’t decided I& it’s smaller enough to keep around for that infrequent use. I don’t really need to sell it for financial reasons…but might end up doing so for amount of use reasons.

If I was going to buy a Z7ii I'd go with a used one. There are plenty of them on the market. No sense paying any more than necessary for what is now an old model. I've got both Z8 and 9 but would like to have a Z7ii for a smaller/lighter landscape/walkaround camera. When they come out with Z7iii or whatever is next used prices of the 7ii will drop even further and I plan to pick one up then.

Waiting might be a good call if you don't urgently need the Z7ii. Who knows what Nikon's cooking up for 2024? If they release something that fits your needs even better, you won't regret it. Plus, you can keep an eye on discounts for the Z7ii in the meantime.

If I was going to buy a Z7ii I'd go with a used one. There are plenty of them on the market. No sense paying any more than necessary for what is now an old model. I've got both Z8 and 9 but would like to have a Z7ii for a smaller/lighter landscape/walkaround camera. When they come out with Z7iii or whatever is next used prices of the 7ii will drop even further and I plan to pick one up then.
As much as the Z8 is such a great camera I prefer the smaller z7ii as well for travel

Back