Z7ii vs. Z9/8 Image Quality

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot a landscape at ISO 64. I'm losing how much DR?
If the scene has less dynamic range than either camera - as it is common in the UK - then absolutely nothing.

No mechanical shutter using a tripod can put the Z8 a little in front.

If taking portraits the new Z8 skin softening ability might also put the Z8 a little in front.

To "justify" going from a Z7 to a Z8 implies usage other than landscapes.

If the scene has less dynamic range than either camera - as it is common in the UK - then absolutely nothing.

If taking portraits the new Z8 skin softening ability might also put the Z8 a little in front.

With some of these new mirror less cameras out or coming i think we will be seeing more software preset features options even for editing, they all seem to add a point of difference.
Only an opinion.

I’m sold the Z7ii already. I like to know the capabilities and limits of the equipment.

Regarding softening, I wouldn’t recommend in cameras post processing… We are doing it with the 50 & 85 f1.2 lenses. Nikon manufactured the lens to resolve softer skin.

I’m sold the Z7ii already. I like to know the capabilities and limits of the equipment.

Regarding softening, I wouldn’t recommend in cameras post processing… We are doing it with the 50 & 85 f1.2 lenses. Nikon manufactured the lens to resolve softer skin.
1) Given the Z8 and Z9 are supposedly identical with the sensor and processing, i assume the image quality wont be that different other than by actual production sample variation.
Why not take your Z9 (ie: Z8) and Z7II and do a landscape test shoot. As you know field testing reveals more of reality.
As you know in post with just a touch here and there one can transform results greatly.
Cameras these days make less difference compared to the glass. Most cameras you can throw a blanket over them, its the glass partly and more so the user that makes the difference.

2) Assumption: The purpose of the image softening feature of the Z8 in my mind ( i could be wrong ) seems to be more for VIDEO, which the camera is i feel primarily more targeted for, given the Nikon Promo clearly reveals.

3) Time light and speed combined in the right combination is mostly all that matters and has since the beginning, LOL

Only an opinion

Good morning.
Should I sell the Z7ii or keep it?

Before I’m selling the Z7ii, I want to double check that my landscape shots that make it to wall prints will be just as good - from a perfectionist point, taken with a Z9/8 sensor, with the same lens of course.

I know I’m using the Z9 in studio and very happy with the IQ with controlled lighting. Outdoors could present itself with difficult conditions that requires maximum dynamic range.

The new Z8 supposedly uses the same Z9 sensor. Before I sell it, I wanted to double check.

Thanks.
I have a Z7ii and Z9. The z7ii edged out the Z9 in dynamic range (landscaping) and ISO sensitivity. It's my everyday, everywhere camera with either the Z24-70 or Z85 prime attached to it. It's definitely my landscaping camera ... so easy to work with.

Last edited:
The Z7ii is a landscape king.
But, I doubt you could see the difference between it and the Z8/9
I printed big wall hangers from both.
Agreed.

On paper the Z7 II has about half a stop of dynamic range advantage from base ISO up to about 400 and they're pretty much dead even at higher ISO settings. But even at ISO 200 the Z9 has over 9 and a half stops of DR. I don't shoot landscape images in light where I need anywhere near 9 stops of DR. If the light varies over 9 stops I've missed my window for half decent landscape photography.

I can't imagine being able to discern the difference between 9.5 and 10 stops of DR in a landscape image and am usually shooting landscapes at base ISO where we're talking about 11.6 stops for the Z7 II and roughly 11.3 stops for the Z9. That's a ton of DR for either camera especially if you're shooting landscapes in decent light.

Lot's of reasons including size, weight, price, AF capabilities, features like Auto Capture and the like to chose a Z9 vs a Z7 II but for static scenes I wouldn't worry about the image quality, noise or DR differences between them.

I'm still on the fence whether to keep the Z7II for whenever I want a small light body or sell it…the resale value isn't all that much and I don't really need the money so probably will keep it. On our recent vacation trip where I knew I would be taking few to no photos I took the Z7II and 24-200 and a spare battery…and would do that again even on a photo where I knew I would be taking photos unless the advantages of the Z8/Z9 overcame the weight of the higher end body and the more than one lens I would take with it. IQ wise…I can't really see much difference in IQ between it and the Z8/9 even at 1:1 and what small differences there are are more 'different' than 'better/worse' to me. Placed side by side it would be hard to pick out which was which at least for me. The Z8/9 have a lot of advantages over the Z7II…but IQ really isn't one of them…it's FPS and better AF for moving things…and the Z7II and a single lens is a much better travel/vacation rig when photos aren't the main attraction as it easily fits in a fanny/waist pack with room to spare. The sensors in there Z9 and Z8 are the same…and the very slight difference in DR for the slower sensored Z7II is not going to be noticeable to the vast majority of us, especially when printed IMO.

Last edited:
Back