Z8 After One Week - What You Need To Know

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you Steve, Wonderful information. I expect to have mine Friday. In this vid you were a fast talker, it was- Lets get this vid done, so I can play with my Z8 some more :ROFLMAO:

Excellent video and discussion Steve! This sure seems to do it all and as you said at a great price! I was thinking of a Dx (z500) backup camera for my Z9 but the Z8 is way better in the long run! I think I will get one before any trips! Thanks again for taking the time to do this video!

Thanks for this video, Steve. It address a few of my concerns about moving to a Z8.

As a relatively recent bird photographer (<4 years), I am currently using a D500 with a 500mm PF lens. One of my concerns about getting a Z8 is how will shifting from a crop sensor camera to a full frame camera affect my shooting habits, especially composing my shots when things are going to appear farther away than what I'm used to. Also things like:
• How long will my EN-EL15b battery last in a Z8?
• What aspects of my BIF technique might have to change shooting full frame?
• Should I shoot in DX mode all the time to retain the compositional feel of my D500?
• How might the IQ from my 500mm PF lens be different with the Z8, if at all?
• How much bigger are FX mode photo sizes compared to the ~33MB file sizes of my D500's photos.

I don't know if other D500 shooters have the same questions/concerns, but this video has helped allay a couple of my concerns. (After all, $4,000 is still a lot of money.)

I look forward to seeing your next video, which I hope will continue to help us D500 shooters know what to expect if we make the switch to the Z8.

Thanks again.
You will find shooting BIFs easier because you will have more margin around the bird. You will also be able to crop more creatively in pp. On the downside, your file sizes will be bigger. My Z9 files are typically around 50MB.

A couple things...

Battery life, given the addition of the extra USB port for charging, if I have any concerns about having enough power out in the field, I've got a couple RAV Power 20AH power banks that I can take with me, along with coiled or straight, right angle USB-C cables and can power and/or recharge the camera for days, if I need to. I have a small cloth pouch with drawstring that something from Peak Design came in that is perfect for hanging on a tripod or monopod to hold the Power Bank. The coiled USB cable seems to be the way to go in terms of less likelihood of getting tangled up in things. Very easy to come up with creative solutions to your own shooting needs. Of course, if you have a couple batteries, you can always hook up the regular battery charger to a Power Bank and charge your exhausted batteries while you're shooting. Again, all sorts of options that we didn't have with DSLR's

While I did have grips in the past for my D850 and D500, with the advent of USB charging/powering, I can't imagine that I'd every buy one for the Z8...and I don't plan on selling the Z9, either.

Regarding transition from a D500 to a Z8/Z9, which is what I did a year ago. Don't stress over this, you'll figure it out because you will have the best of both worlds! Seriously!! Sometimes I shoot in FX mode, sometimes in DX...probably 80% or more in FX...and that's a single button press to change.

The determining factor, for me, really comes down to whether the subject is hard to track or stationary...and how large the subject is in the frame. As Anthony mentioned, it's easier to track erratic movement in FX, but I appreciate the larger view and the easier use of Pinpoint or 3D tracking on small mostly stationary subjects in DX mode, as well as a better visual feel for framing.

A couple things...

Battery life, given the addition of the extra USB port for charging, if I have any concerns about having enough power out in the field, I've got a couple RAV Power 20AH power banks that I can take with me, along with coiled or straight, right angle USB-C cables and can power and/or recharge the camera for days, if I need to. I have a small cloth pouch with drawstring that something from Peak Design came in that is perfect for hanging on a tripod or monopod to hold the Power Bank. The coiled USB cable seems to be the way to go in terms of less likelihood of getting tangled up in things. Very easy to come up with creative solutions to your own shooting needs. Of course, if you have a couple batteries, you can always hook up the regular battery charger to a Power Bank and charge your exhausted batteries while you're shooting. Again, all sorts of options that we didn't have with DSLR's
I wasn't really aware of the charging option you mentioned, I'm intrigued. Is this by chance the RAV device you are speaking of ? RAV The option of being able to charge extra batteries while out on a game hunt might be something to consider, instead of buying more and more camera batteries.

I wasn't really aware of the charging option you mentioned, I'm intrigued. Is this by chance the RAV device you are speaking of ? RAV The option of being able to charge extra batteries while out on a game hunt might be something to consider, instead of buying more and more camera batteries.
I have two of these units by RAVPower...Power Bank The unit you have is quite a bit more expensive due to having the option for 120VAC output. Convenient, but unless you have no way to charge your device other than via 120VAC, I wouldn't go that route...a lot of loss converting to 120VAC and then back down to 5 or 12VDC. The unit I linked is only $30 and the two I have have worked flawlessly for 3-4 years or so.

If you're going to be out for several days without access to AC power, you may consider one of the many folding solar panel kits that you could use to recharge your power banks, but get something in the 20W or higher capacity. And they really do need full sunlight to provide any useable output...in the shade, you'll likely see 10% of rated output, if that.

Last edited:
I think mostly because the self timer now covers it. You have 2 seconds, 5 seconds, etc. And, it's faster to access than the delay option in the menu system.
I don't like using the self-timer because the focus light then flashes. This is not helpful in certain situations, or can the focus light be switched off when using the self-timer?

Hey @Steve, what's the deal. The video title says "don't buy a Z8 until you see this". I took you at your word and cancelled my order. Didn't get a chance to watch the video until today. And then you say it's greats. What's the deal. Now I'm at the bottom of the pre-order list :(

OK I'm just kidding :D Sounds like it's as advertised, mini Z9/D850 replacement. The batteries are small enough to carry a couple of extras in a pocket. I can live with that. Plus I've always been a fanatic about conserving battery by wearing out the on/off switch.

Thanks for for the informative video on the z8! The Z8 with the 400mm f4.5 looks like an awesome combo. I guess it remains to be seen whether a Z8 or Z9 is more durable or reliable. With this in mind I think I’ll hold off on Z8 for now. Especially since the Z8 came out there seems to be a lot of mint Z9’s available at tempting prices. Considering this, another Z9 sounds like an attractive backup. I am looking forward to your book update!

Hey @Steve, what's the deal. The video title says "don't buy a Z8 until you see this". I took you at your word and cancelled my order. Didn't get a chance to watch the video until today. And then you say it's greats. What's the deal. Now I'm at the bottom of the pre-order list :(

OK I'm just kidding :D Sounds like it's as advertised, mini Z9/D850 replacement. The batteries are small enough to carry a couple of extras in a pocket. I can live with that. Plus I've always been a fanatic about conserving battery by wearing out the on/off switch.
LOL, yeah, you gotta use a little clickbait to get people to watch anymore. My "normal" titled vides tend to bomb by comparison.

I don't like using the self-timer because the focus light then flashes. This is not helpful in certain situations, or can the focus light be switched off when using the self-timer?
It does and I don't think there is a way to disable it. (Well, gaff tape :) )

Another excellent video…and like one of the comments I saw on the YouTube post of this video said…it's a perfect complement to the Z9 for a second body that works the same and a far better complement than the Z7II is because it works the same. Yeah…the battery doesn't last as long…but without a grip at the bottom it's gotta go in the same place in the body as every other non gripped body design…and that limits size which limits capacity. But EN-EL15s are pretty cheap and most Nikon people have a couple of them already anyway. Me…I think the SD vs 2x CFXB is partially a differentiator from the Z9 to keep from killing it's market…but mostly it's a heat issue since the battery and cards are right next to each other. But as Steve said in the video…if you shoot routinely using long bursts of 80 or more frames…and require saving to both cards…or if you demand all day on a single battery…then maybe the Z9 is a better choice for you…but most of us don't fit in that category.

I don't believe they do but I'm not tested it.
I have…not on purpose…and not with the Z8 or Z9…and not scientifically but because I forgot to charge the battery…but in both my D7500 and Z7II which use EN-EL15s…they worked fine with no apparent loss of either FPS or AF speed or anything else…up until the battery died and it wouldn't turn on again.

As a bit of random feedback, I find the intro music to always be a bit too loud, relative to the voice level.

Good video though, covered a lot of the questions people have. Looks to be a solid home run for nikon.

On the battery topic, I have mine set to sleep after some amount of time (I don't remember right now, I think it was 15 seconds or so) and that seems to accomplish the same thing as your method of shutting it off. I'm not sure how much it matters when it comes to shooting, since tapping a button to move the af point or something (or just refocusing on something nearby) isn't hard.
I concur with the intro music level…and also with the rest of your comment. Personally…I've never used more than about 1/3 of a battery in either the D7500 or Z7II…and even less for the Z9…in a single day's shooting…but I've always had a spare battery in my pocket anyway. When my Z8 gets here…I'll pull the c version out of my Z7II to use as a spare and put a b version integer if I'm taking that one (or the c if not taking the Z8 as well)…and if it's an issue then another c or even 2 is no big deal.

Thanks for this video, Steve. It address a few of my concerns about moving to a Z8.

As a relatively recent bird photographer (<4 years), I am currently using a D500 with a 500mm PF lens. One of my concerns about getting a Z8 is how will shifting from a crop sensor camera to a full frame camera affect my shooting habits, especially composing my shots when things are going to appear farther away than what I'm used to. Also things like:
If the EVF of the Z8 vs OVF of the D500 doesn’t bother you (I’ve found the Z9 EVF very DSLR-like with added benefits), I think you’ll easily adapt to the Z8. With the Z8 in DX mode, you’ll feel right at home, and you’ll have the added benefit of the full frame when you need it.
• How long will my EN-EL15b battery last in a Z8?
• What aspects of my BIF technique might have to change shooting full frame?
I typically shoot in FX and crop later. But if you’re used to DX, either shoot in DX on the Z8, get closer to your subjects or use longer focal length lenses. Note that in those instances where you can fill the frame in FX, you’ll have more pixels on your subject than can be done in DX, potentially giving you a higher quality image.
• Should I shoot in DX mode all the time to retain the compositional feel of my D500?
I wouldn’t say “should”. You now have a choice. If DX works best, leave it in DX. However, when the subject moves in too close, you can instantly “zoom out” FX by simply pressing a programmed button on the camera.
• How might the IQ from my 500mm PF lens be different with the Z8, if at all?
No different, and your AF with the 500 PF and a TC will be faster. Plus, AF is snappy in decent light even with 1.7x and 2x TCS.
• How much bigger are FX mode photo sizes compared to the ~33MB file sizes of my D500's photos.
They’ll be in the 50MB range in FX, but shooting in HE* RAW in FX, which is what I use, they’ll be the same as your D500. Also, shooting in DX mode in lossless RAW, they should be of similar size your D500.
I don't know if other D500 shooters have the same questions/concerns, but this video has helped allay a couple of my concerns. (After all, $4,000 is still a lot of money.)

I look forward to seeing your next video, which I hope will continue to help us D500 shooters know what to expect if we make the switch to the Z8.

Thanks again.
I will warn you that the Z9/Z8 AF is very different than your D850. Some things are better and some are worse. But that’s a whole other subject.

Like ARClark…I rarely use DX although I do have it on the Qual button on the Z9…and will put it on the Z8 someplace. I prefer to crop in post because a lot of the time the crop is les than a full DX crop…and in addition keeping the darned BIF in the frame is easier in FX mode anyway. And because I forget I put it in DX and then get a bunch of lower MP frames.

••
Like ARClark…I rarely use DX although I do have it on the Qual button on the Z9…and will put it on the Z8 someplace. I prefer to crop in post because a lot of the time the crop is les than a full DX crop…and in addition keeping the darned BIF in the frame is easier in FX mode anyway. And because I forget I put it in DX and then get a bunch of lower MP frames.
Yes. I’ll add that the main reason I have DX programmed is because AF is better when using the enlarged DX crop. Something I didn’t realize until recently. In enlarged crop, it’s easier for the camera to recognize a small bird and see its eyes in less than ideal light/contrast situations.

••

Yes. I’ll add that the main reason I have DX programmed is because AF is better when using the enlarged DX crop. Something I didn’t realize until recently. In enlarged crop, it’s easier for the camera to recognize a small bird and see its eyes in less than ideal light/contrast situations.
I've read that…but then I've read that it isn't correct and I've not tried it in enough situations to make a determination on my own. On the face of it though…going to DX just means the outer pixels get ignored completely…so the actual number of pixels on the subject remains the same as in FX…and they're the same pixels with the same AF sites and all that stuff…so unless the fact that fewer pixels being paid attention to means that the AF calculation rate per second goes up then how it makes AF better seems strange to me. I can't say it does or does not happen…and IIRC Steve has stated that it appears to him that the Z9 AF is a little better in DX mode…but the recovering engineer in me wants to know if it is really factually better and if so why that is so. The little work I have done with it says that eye detection is a little better in DX…but that's just anecdotal since the sample size is small for me…and again with the same pixels on the eye and same AF sites why that would make it better I don't have a good grasp on. AFAIK the AF ops per second remains the same but that's the only thing I can see in the whole AF equation that might make DX mode better…and as I said the larger frame in FX makes it easier for me to keep the BIF in the frame and not clipped and I can move the DX crop anywhere in the frame later in PP.

Speaking of DX crop Steve…which button do you have it assigned to on the Z8…I wonder what you gave up to assign it there? And…if you actually said what I think you said about AF being better in DX for distant targets…do you have any insight from Nikon or anybody else or a guess as to why it's better?

I'm not Steve and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I assigned the FX/DX function to the video record button on my Z9 and will do the same on the Z8 when it arrives. Just about the easiest location to access it and I don't give up any of the functions that are assignable to Fn buttons.

I'm not Steve and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I assigned the FX/DX function to the video record button on my Z9 and will do the same on the Z8 when it arrives. Just about the easiest location to access it and I don't give up any of the functions that are assignable to Fn buttons.
Might be a good idea there…I have Video Record set to AF Area/Mode now with the sticky button setting enabled so it's push, turn the dials and tap shutter to get back to shooting…but now that I've assigned some other AF areas to the Fn buttons on the front maybe that's not as important since I don't use it much anyway and there's the AF button on the front left side anyway. Video is Top MyMenu item on the Z7II currently but I haven't changed the Z7II settings to match the Z9 because the AF performance is so much worse than the Z9 that it doesn't make a good second body in the field for me…which was mostly the reason I ordered the Z8.

And I really need to figure out whether DX mode actually makes AF better and if so why it does…as I noted in another thread it doesn't seem like it would make any difference at all.

It does and I don't think there is a way to disable it. (Well, gaff tape :) )
I was photographing in the Florida State Capitol recently. The House Chamber had the lights on, but the doors were locked. I tried shooting through the glass surrounding the chamber with the timer set and 3 frame bracketing. DANG it! That green light kept coming on and reflecting in the glass! Grr....! I finally just put my finger over it!

I've read that…but then I've read that it isn't correct and I've not tried it in enough situations to make a determination on my own. On the face of it though…going to DX just means the outer pixels get ignored completely…so the actual number of pixels on the subject remains the same as in FX…and they're the same pixels with the same AF sites and all that stuff…so unless the fact that fewer pixels being paid attention to means that the AF calculation rate per second goes up then how it makes AF better seems strange to me.
i think the reason we think this is the case is we have heard from a reputable source (sorry, now i can't remember exactly where) is that the subject detection works from the evf stream. this suggests that if it's bigger in the evf, it's bigger to the subject detection system, in the same way that if your exposure is such that you can't see a subject in the evf, the subject detection system can't see it as well either (and this part i think we've seen plenty of evidence for).

Back