Z8 and Z9, which do you use the most

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Like many have voiced, I prefer the feel and handling of the Z9 over the Z8. I can actually feel the difference in my hands and one feels more plasticky than the other. My Z9 is fixed to my 400 TC, so if I'm shooting wildlife with that lens, I use the Z9. My Z8 is my flex body as I keep it detached in the bag. So if I'm shooting landscapes or using one of my zoom lenses, I use the Z8.
I am hoping Nikon updates the Z9 firmware with the "cycle AF" option... this makes the Z8 a slightly better cameras for quickly changing situations.

bruce

I am hoping Nikon updates the Z9 firmware with the "cycle AF" option... this makes the Z8 a slightly better cameras for quickly changing situations.

bruce
I'm sure they will, the problem with the Z8 is you have to decide what feature you want to remove as there are so limited controls.

Z9 is better in the hands. But when shooting in studio all day long - like today, the Z8 is a pound less strain on the hands. Although the 85/1.2 pregnant lens, feels better paired to the Z9.

For those that have both cameras, which one do you use most of the time and why. Since the firmware updates are bringing them closer together in features, there are mainly hardware differences (GPS, battery, etc.).
I typically have both on a double BR strap and put the lighter lens on the Z9. To be honest, I would swap my A9 straight up for a second Z8 and never look back because I could not care less about the grip and would rather have the lighter body. If both had been available at the Z9 launch date I would have 2 Z8s. Don’t understand the buffer reply…they have the same buffer…and battery life has never been an issue. Carrying a couple extra EN EL 15s is waaay lighter than the difference in weight…and I’ve never noticed any real difference in balance with either body and any of my lenses. Don’t get the comments that the Z9 is ‘better’…outside of the couple extra buttons and the longer video before heat is an issue…and whether those matter to you…the AF, sensor, EVF, and buffer are identical according to Nikon. As Steve said…firmware wise the Z8 is ahead and if one doesn’t want the grip and isn’t stressed about the video heat or battery life…the Z8 is IMO the better option…hence my standing offer to swap. Identical bodies are nice…and would like to have them…but for me none of the ‘advantages’ of t(r Z9 over t(r Z8 matter at all and weight would easily win for me.

Last edited:
Back