Z8 - Auto Rotate Help

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Don_Logan

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello,

I have it currently setup to where the Wide L box is my "main" focus point. When I turn the camera portrait the box shoots to one side or the other in the frame depending on which way I turn the camera. Is there a way to get the box to stay in the middle? I have poked around in the settings and online but cannot find anything on it.

Thank you

Sounds like Store Points By Orientation. I cover in the Z8/9 guide, but here's an excerpt:

Store Points By Orientation

This function will remember where you had the AF point the last time your camera was in a vertical orientation and then where it was the last time the camera was horizontal. At first, this may seem about as handy as a trap door on a canoe but stick with me here.

Think of this scenario. Let’s say you were photographing the feathers off a beautiful egret that was standing in the marsh, and you have your camera vertical with one of the outside AF sensors plastered to his eye.

However, in the meantime, there are a few birds occasionally flying by and you want to use the middle AF point with the camera in a horizontal format to capture those.

Normally, you’d have to move those AF points around each time you switched orientations and probably miss shots. With this turned on, you can turn the camera horizontal when the flyers sweep by and your AF point will jump back to the middle. Once they pass, you can turn the camera back to vertical and the AF point will jump right back to where it was before.

pastedGraphic.png

Another handy use for Store Points By Orientation is when your’re waffling between a vertical and horizontal version of an image. As the bee eater (above) shifted around, I swapped between horizontal and vertical shots and it was handy to have the AF area move to the proper place (well, pretty close) each time I changed orientation.

Oh, but it gets even better!

With a Z8/9, you can also choose between just remembering the AF point position or remembering the AF point position and AF area! So, that means you can shoot the standing bird with Single Point AF and the flyers with Wide AF – and the camera will switch back and forth whenever you change orientations!

For example, take a peek at the panel below. In vertical orientation, the camera is set for a single AF point towards the top of the frame, but while in a horizontal orientation, it’s set for Wide (S) and more towards the center.

When I’m shooting the heron (left), the camera is using Single Point AF and the AF position is towards the top. However, when I spot the egret flying past and turn the camera horizontally, the camera moves the AF position towards center and changes it from Single Point AF to Wide (S) AF.

All automatically!

pastedGraphic_1.png

To enable, head to the Store points by orientation menu. Click Focus point or Focus point and AF-area mode from the resulting menu.

pastedGraphic_2.png

Field Usage

Setup for all of this is simple once it’s turned on.

For just the Focus point option, flip your camera to the orientation you want (vertical or horizontal), and move your AF point into position – that’s it! Each time you rotate the camera, it will go to wherever the AF point was the last time you were in that orientation.

If you’re using this with the Focus point and AF-area mode option, flip to the orientation you want, position your AF point, and then switch to the AF Area Mode you want – all set. This works just like the Focus point option, but it takes the AF Area Mode along for the ride.

Although this feature may have you more excited than a teenage girl at a Taylor Swift concert, there is a note of caution.

Often people will enable this feature, not use the camera for a while, and then find themselves flabbergasted when the camera is switching AF positions and AF areas when they swap orientations. So, if you ever find yourself resembling that remark, hopefully you’ll recall this little note and save yourself some confusion.

Thanks Steve. That solved/explained it. I will leave it off for now until I conceptualize it a bit more. Sounds like something I will end up leaving on once I grasp its use out in the field.

Thanks Steve. That solved/explained it. I will leave it off for now until I conceptualize it a bit more. Sounds like something I will end up leaving on once I grasp its use out in the field.
As Steve outlined, it's a really handy feature with lots of uses. Now that you know it exists, try not to leave it turned off for too long.

The use case I heard about first was using it as a way to switch from an AF mode with subject detection to one without subject detection. Just turn the camera and you could switch AF area modes to Dynamic or Single without subject detection. That can be very handy.

Back