Z8 - Black spot on images and videos - Dust or burnt pixel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,

I noticed a black spot in the images of my Z8. I can see it in the viewfinder and on the LCD while taking pictures. Any idea what it could be? A burnt pixel or just sensor dust?

_0Z80018_sm.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_0Z80025_DxO-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I noticed something similar after swapping back to FX from DX. In my case it was a long dark streak in the FX area and I became very concerned. I checked the sensor and there was a small hair on it. I don't know how as I'd not swapped lenses in a long while and it wasn't there before. I tried the sensor cleaning feature about a dozen times and it would move around but not come off. I was out amd had no cleaning tools with me, but finally I managed to get it off by placing a folded dollar bill close to it, being careful not to touch the sensor, and letting the hair be attracted to the bill by static.

The example you show here looks similar to what I once saw after using a rocket blower to clean my sensor that I didn't realize had been recently chewed on by my kid, so it sprayed droplets all over the sensor.

I noticed something similar after swapping back to FX from DX. In my case it was a long dark streak in the FX area and I became very concerned. I checked the sensor and there was a small hair on it. I don't know how as I'd not swapped lenses in a long while and it wasn't there before. I tried the sensor cleaning feature about a dozen times and it would move around but not come off. I was out amd had no cleaning tools with me, but finally I managed to get it off by placing a folded dollar bill close to it, being careful not to touch the sensor, and letting the hair be attracted to the bill by static.

The example you show here looks similar to what I once saw after using a rocket blower to clean my sensor that I didn't realize had been recently chewed on by my kid, so it sprayed droplets all over the sensor.
Thank you. I looked and I see something white on the sensor. Not sure what is that tho. Will try to click a closeup tomorrow.

Yep, from the description, 90% likely to be dust.

Set your camera to not use the “shutter” shield, hold it lens side down, and use a little hand blower to blow it off. Do not use compressed air.

Yep, from the description, 90% likely to be dust.

Set your camera to not use the “shutter” shield, hold it lens side down, and use a little hand blower to blow it off. Do not use compressed air.
And do it only while the camera is turned off. Else the image stabilisation mechanism isn't locked in place and you could damage it if you happen to touch it.

My step 2 would be to take it to your local Nikon dealer, who would either do it for you gratis or for a pretty nominal fee. The alternative is to use a sensor cleaner available in a cleaning kit such as the Sensei kit, which is carried by places such as B&H. I would trust the device that comes in that kit if you are careful and, as noted above, if you make sure the camera is off.

I’m pretty hamfisted and I have a great local dealer (Service Photo) so I would prefer to have them do it.

In 2016 my new D810 had what was likely a spot of shutter oil on the sensor. Nikon wanted to inspect but was not very enthusiastic and with no nearby service centers I decided to do it myself. I got the Visible Dust kit with several liquid cleaners and a filtered air blower. The blower didn't remove the spot but gets used all the time and is very effective on dust. The sensor has a glass cover which you are cleaning so you never touch the sensor and the surgically clean swabs are unwrapped right before use so the chance of a scratch is very small. I worry more about someone working on my camera that doesn't care like I do. Following directions, a couple swipes with the swab and out of focus sky check shots and the spot was gone. Not only that, just having the ability instantly clean a sensor has kept all my sensors clear of sticky material for the last 7 years, so it's still effective sitting in a drawer.

Back