Z8 or Z6iii as Z7 Replacement?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Personally I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I have friends shooting Canon DSLRs with lower pixel count. Some are professionals. I only shoot raw so the pre-release function is not something I can do and there is no doubt in my mind that having more pixels is an advantage for wildlife photography. The z6iii has a mechanical shutter option and supposedly that can give you slightly better IQ but the difference is small. The z8 is an action camera plain and simple and if you are shooting static subjects and dont need to get close get the z6iii by all means. However if BIF etc. are your thing the z8 is the way to go. It has excellent buffer and frame rate and you have plenty of speed.
The more I learn about each camera, the more I'd be happy either way. Setting up the Z8 is a little time-consuming sandwiched in amongst other priorities, but I'm anxious to finish that up and start using it. The more I handle it, the more convinced I am about it. Not saying I wouldn't be that way as well about a Z6iii, but I think the Z8 is a good choice. I'm glad I decided to go ahead with it.

For what it’s worth, after spending a year bulking at the 5k now 4500 for the 600pf because of the f6.3 factor, Steve convinced me to give it a try. I can say it works great and is very very sharp and excellent to use handholding which I mainly do. If you like the 400 f4.5 (I also have that lens and both TCs) you will like this one as well. They work the same, feel the same almost and for birds having a bare 600mm is great. The 1.4tc works very well. I sold my z70-200 f2.8 to get it as I need the reach. That lens is great and finances allowing I will eventually add it back in. For now I have two z8s, 600mm f6.3,400mm f4.5, 100-400mm f5.6 and the 24-120mm f4. Plus both TCs. The one area I lack is very low light like an f2.8 but 200mm is not enough reach for wildlife in most settings imop.

The more I learn about each camera, the more I'd be happy either way. Setting up the Z8 is a little time-consuming sandwiched in amongst other priorities, but I'm anxious to finish that up and start using it. The more I handle it, the more convinced I am about it. Not saying I wouldn't be that way as well about a Z6iii, but I think the Z8 is a good choice. I'm glad I decided to go ahead with it.
I read Steve’s book about it and it saved me hours of trial and error. I’m still tweaking small things but overall I have it close to where I like it. Having two identical bodies makes things easy as I set them both the same. I done mind experimenting and the z8 is the most complicated camera I’ve ever owned but it gives so much in return.

I read Steve’s book about it and it saved me hours of trial and error. I’m still tweaking small things but overall I have it close to where I like it. Having two identical bodies makes things easy as I set them both the same. I done mind experimenting and the z8 is the most complicated camera I’ve ever owned but it gives so much in return.
I'm going through Steve's Z8 book now. Juggling with other things, so a bit slow, but definitely very useful.

The Z8 is a tremendous camera and to me it comes doen to the question whether you really need 45+ MP.
If during your Z7 time you found it essential to your work to have this kind of resolution, then teh Z8 is the way to go.
If not, going the other way can be just as good and may be even better. Why ? Here are just a few that I have on the radar for me to decide whether or not to go back to 24+MP completely
  • Being used to EVF for proably much loonger than me it may not make a big difference for you, but despite the possibilites you have with it for me the experience is not quite right coming from pro level AVFs liek D850 or even D4s. I am looking forward to getting my eye on the Z6 III viewfinder, because coming from pro level AVF like in the D850 or D4s I still have the feeling of looking at a computer game from th 90s.
  • @Steve has published some interesting thoughts on motion blur and the impact of sensor resolution on it (sorry, cant recall the link straight away). And this is not just academic. My friend (retired pro and now full time nature & wildlife) demosntrated this to me years ago, before I even knew @Steve and this community.
  • Pushing a 45MP+ to the limit in terms of IQ puts much higher demand on the lenses you use, compared to a good 24+ MP sensor, so basically the choice is bigger and the price level can be lower. That said, there are so many other factors having an impact on the final output, that most of us will have problems pushing todays sensors to their limit, being it 24 or 45 or whatever. 90% of the IQ still comes from what sits between our ears.
One thing in terms of lenses. Although I have lots of respect for people like Thom Hogan, they sometime miss out on switching position between people like him, basically living with a camera glued to his face and/or making a living of it and "the rest of the world".

@wotan1 is right in saying that you don't need a 14k+ lens to get outstanding quality. "Consistency" in moving to the Z world as a reason for concentrating on "Z-frienldy lenses" to me sounds a bit like marketing.

Of course it is nice to have lighter and smaller equipment, but especially im terms of super tele, considering the price difference of something between 9 to 10K $ I would certainly prefer to get e.g. a 500 f4 FL plus a FTZ and a TC, if I have the need for long fast glass with excellent IQ on a Z. The weight difference between the Z 400 2.8 TC and the 500 f4 FL is about 140g ! - well, depeindg on what you do plus a FTZ and a TC to be fair. Admittedly these top notch super primes are a dream, and who would say no if he/she could have one, but IMHO as long as you don't rely especially on the switchable TC or the additional control elements on the Z lens to me there no point in spending this amount of money unless you constantly fight in the Chammpions Ligue.

Just the two cents of a dinosaur ...

Back