Z8 photo loss

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I recently got the Z8 and have been out shooting 6 times. A few days ago I was out and when I came home at least 200 shots were missing from my CF card. I did not format the card or delete while in the field. I was able to recover some with recovery software. This is the first time this has happened. Since I am new to this camera, does anyone have any thoughts as to how this could have happened. I would appreciate any insight so I can keep this from happening in the future. I have set up the camera by following Steve's book which is extremely helpfull.

What memory card are you using? Did you do a full format or quick format before using it? Did you check the SD card to see if they somehow ended up on the second memory card?

I recently got the Z8 and have been out shooting 6 times. A few days ago I was out and when I came home at least 200 shots were missing from my CF card. I did not format the card or delete while in the field. I was able to recover some with recovery software. This is the first time this has happened. Since I am new to this camera, does anyone have any thoughts as to how this could have happened. I would appreciate any insight so I can keep this from happening in the future. I have set up the camera by following Steve's book which is extremely helpfull.
Some clarification please. So you saw the photos on the disk in the camera before you returned home? But not after you returned home? And you have checked both discs (assuming you had two in the camera) and looked at all the files on both disks?

What memory card are you using? Did you do a full format or quick format before using it? Did you check the SD card to see if they somehow ended up on the second memory card?
I am using the Delkin black. I did get the SD card and there was nothing there. I did a full format the day before when I was out but not before this outing

Some clarification please. So you saw the photos on the disk in the camera before you returned home? But not after you returned home? And you have checked both discs (assuming you had two in the camera) and looked at all the files on both disks?
Yes, I did see the photos on the disk in the camera. I have checked both. Luckily the recovery software found some of them. I sent the camera to Nikon for the recall yesterday after shooting so I can not put the card back in the camera to look at it. I saw nothing on the sd which I have set as overflow.

Yes, I did see the photos on the disk in the camera. I have checked both. Luckily the recovery software found some of them. I sent the camera to Nikon for the recall yesterday after shooting so I can not put the card back in the camera to look at it. I saw nothing on the sd which I have set as overflow.
Glad you were able to recover some. My guess is that somehow you deleted and/or reformatted the card. Hopefully this won't happen again. Otherwise there must be some defect in your camera.

Back