Z8 photos are blurry in Develop Module but fine in Library Module LRC 13.0.1

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,
Freshly imported Z8 photos are blurry in Develop Module but fine in Library Module LRC 13.0.1.
I’m using a M1 MBP, 16GB memory, Ventura 13.6.2

Any suggestions please. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
Freshly imported Z8 photos are blurry in Develop Module but fine in Library Module LRC 13.0.1.
I’m using a M1 MBP, 16GB memory, Ventura 13.6.2
Strangely, this does not happen with Z6ii photos.
Any suggestions please. Thanks
Are you allowing sufficient time for the files to Load in the Develop module? The Library and Develop module use different previews and it sometimes takes a bit of time for the actual file to Load in the Develop module especially with the much larger Z8 files.

Assuming that's not the issue, do you have LR configured to read camera settings on import up in the preferences? If not, your Library previews may have more sharpening applied than your Develop module images just because the default setting of the sharpness slider isn't being set to camera preferences on import. That wouldn't make the actual image blurrier but it might appear that way if the sharpening slider is set relatively low and ignores the in-camera settings.

Are you allowing sufficient time for the files to Load in the Develop module? The Library and Develop module use different previews and it sometimes takes a bit of time for the actual file to Load in the Develop module especially with the much larger Z8 files.

Assuming that's not the issue, do you have LR configured to read camera settings on import up in the preferences? If not, your Library previews may have more sharpening applied than your Develop module images just because the default setting of the sharpness slider isn't being set to camera preferences on import. That wouldn't make the actual image blurrier but it might appear that way if the sharpening slider is set relatively low and ignores the in-camera settings.
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the quick and detailed response.
I reset the LRC preferences (restarted while holding down [Opt]+[Shift] on the Mac). This solved the problem.
LRC was configured to read the camera settings and I set it again.

I do notice that with the previous version of LRC, moving from Develop to Library modules for the Z6ii files caused no image delays as seen in version 13.0.1.
Thanks again, appreciated.
Dayalan

You may already know this, but just be aware that LR uses 3 different preview files, depending on which module you are using.
In the Import module you are seeing the raw file's largest embedded jpeg in the colour space you have assigned in-camera. In the Library module you are seeing whatever preview you told LR to create on import and this preview is rendered in the Adobe 98 colour space. In the Develop module you are seeing another higher quality preview created on the fly when moving from viewing the image in the Library module to viewing it in the Develop module for the first time. Or if not for the first time, the preview is retrieved from cache. It is assigned Pro photo colour space.
So when you move from Library to Develop, you are changing preview files. The file may be cached or it may not be. If it is not cached then the Develop module has to re-generate it on the fly.

You may already know this, but just be aware that LR uses 3 different preview files, depending on which module you are using.
In the Import module you are seeing the raw file's largest embedded jpeg in the colour space you have assigned in-camera. In the Library module you are seeing whatever preview you told LR to create on import and this preview is rendered in the Adobe 98 colour space. In the Develop module you are seeing another higher quality preview created on the fly when moving from viewing the image in the Library module to viewing it in the Develop module for the first time. Or if not for the first time, the preview is retrieved from cache. It is assigned Pro photo colour space.
So when you move from Library to Develop, you are changing preview files. The file may be cached or it may not be. If it is not cached then the Develop module has to re-generate it on the fly.
I have noticed this issue when switching from the Library module to the Develop module. Is there any way to pre-cache the files in the Develop module? For example if I select all files on the filmstrip and generate the previews it does not necessarily seem to cache them as there is still that first time lag scrolling between images which is quite annoying. I always thought that building 1:1 previews on import would speed things up, but there is still that initial lag in the development module when scrolling between images. Any suggestions would be appreciated….Thx

Lightroom discards 1:1 previews after 30 days, unless set in preferences to 'never.' Scroll way down here. It rebuilds them as needed after 30 days of disuse.

I have noticed this issue when switching from the Library module to the Develop module. Is there any way to pre-cache the files in the Develop module? For example if I select all files on the filmstrip and generate the previews it does not necessarily seem to cache them as there is still that first time lag scrolling between images which is quite annoying. I always thought that building 1:1 previews on import would speed things up, but there is still that initial lag in the development module when scrolling between images. Any suggestions would be appreciated….Thx
The Develop module does not use your 1:1 previews. It generates it's own preview from the original image data plus your edits. It writes this data to the Camera Raw Cache. This is not the same as 1:1 previews stored in your catalogue. It helps to increase the size of this Camera Raw Cache (try 20Gb+, Preferences>Performance tab). Also, check where LR is storing this cache (Preferences>Performance tab). You really want this to be stored on a very fast disk. If it is on a slow spinning volume, your develop module previews will feel slow to render. Finally, the number of edits, particularly brushed and masked edits, will impact cache retrieval speed. If you have a lot of that type of edit (e.g. hundreds of brush strokes), they are best done in PS if you want fast Develop module preview rendering.

The Develop module does not use your 1:1 previews. It generates it's own preview from the original image data plus your edits. It writes this data to the Camera Raw Cache. This is not the same as 1:1 previews stored in your catalogue. It helps to increase the size of this Camera Raw Cache (try 20Gb+, Preferences>Performance tab). Also, check where LR is storing this cache (Preferences>Performance tab). You really want this to be stored on a very fast disk. If it is on a slow spinning volume, your develop module previews will feel slow to render. Finally, the number of edits, particularly brushed and masked edits, will impact cache retrieval speed. If you have a lot of that type of edit (e.g. hundreds of brush strokes), they are best done in PS if you want fast Develop module preview rendering.
Thanks, so if I understand you correctly, there is no way to pre-cache these files in the Camera Raw Cache and then, as you work on developing the images they would get re-cached again. My Mac studio has 64 GB of internal memory and 4 TB SSD so I would be willing to set my preferences as high as I can without crossing the point of diminishing return. I currently have the 4 TB SSD partitioned into two drives one of them being a data drive where I store my Lightroom catalog, and I also have my Camera cache set to store on that same drive. If this is not the best way to do it, please advise on what you think would be better.

Thanks, so if I understand you correctly, there is no way to pre-cache these files in the Camera Raw Cache and then, as you work on developing the images they would get re-cached again. My Mac studio has 64 GB of internal memory and 4 TB SSD so I would be willing to set my preferences as high as I can without crossing the point of diminishing return. I currently have the 4 TB SSD partitioned into two drives one of them being a data drive where I store my Lightroom catalog, and I also have my Camera cache set to store on that same drive. If this is not the best way to do it, please advise on what you think would be better.
Yes, the initial cache is written the first time you open the image in the Develop module. Subsequent edits of that image are are added to the cache. But as the total cache allocation is used, older entries are deleted. So if you return to an image in the Develop module after a period of inactivity, it is likely that the Develop module preview will need to be re-built from scratch, including the edit history and this will cause a slight delay in rendering.
I would store your cache on the less full of your two partitions, but it probably won't make a lot of difference unless the alternate partition is nearly full. Try setting it to a minimum of 20Gb.

Back