Z8 recall and Nikon policy

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My Z8 is subject to the lens mount recall. So it's packaged with the free UPS mailing label attached. But Nikon will not pay for UPS pickup here at the house. The UPS man goes past our house every day, but we live 45 minutes away from the closest drop off place. Nikon sells me a defective product, yet requires me to drive 50 miles and waste two hours just to return their defective product to them. I'm furious. Where's good old-fashioned customer service when we need it.

My Z8 is subject to the lens mount recall. So it's packaged with the free UPS mailing label attached. But Nikon will not pay for UPS pickup here at the house. The UPS man goes past our house every day, but we live 45 minutes away from the closest drop off place. Nikon sells me a defective product, yet requires me to drive 50 miles and waste two hours just to return their defective product to them. I'm furious. Where's good old-fashioned customer service when we need it.
Flag him down...

The way I read it 'or give to any UPS driver' for delivery.
And I have watched for and gave shipments to the area UPS driver several times.
I think that's true. However, our house is a 100 yards from the dirt mountain road on which we live. The UPS van drives it daily but at widely varying times. How how hard it is for Nikon to let me tell the guy to stop by and pick it up?

I used to live in the country as well and shipping was a pain, sometimes I could hear the truck when it was coming down the road (my dogs certainly could). Maybe you can put up a banner over your road asking UPS to stop by ;) Seriously though, you can request a pickup from UPS, yes, it's a fee but maybe worth it so you don't have to drive into town.
Put in a polite note with your camera that explains what you had to go through and who knows, maybe they'll take care of you some way or another...

I think that's true. However, our house is a 100 yards from the dirt mountain road on which we live. The UPS van drives it daily but at widely varying times. How how hard it is for Nikon to let me tell the guy to stop by and pick it up?
You might be able to have UPS pick up the camera.

I hope that the Nikon worked something out with UPS about myriad of Z 8 which will be arriving this week and a similar number shipping out next week

You might be able to have UPS pick up the camera.
i wonder if you can schedule it with this: https://wwwapps.ups.com/pickup/schedule?loc=en_US (assuming US, although they probably have something similar for other places)

I hope that the Nikon worked something out with UPS about myriad of Z 8 which will be arriving this week and a similar number shipping out next week
This is why I'm waiting to get mine done. All lenses mount perfectly fine, and the recall mod never expires. I'll let the initial wave subside and send it in this fall / winter. It's a little scary for me to drop a $4k brand new body to UPS too. And Nikon explicitly said to not send in the original box, basically just wrap it... 🤔😬

This is why I'm waiting to get mine done. All lenses mount perfectly fine, and the recall mod never expires. I'll let the initial wave subside and send it in this fall / winter. It's a little scary for me to drop a $4k brand new body to UPS too. And Nikon explicitly said to not send in the original box, basically just wrap it... 🤔😬
I think the initial wave will expire in less than a month

At least Nikon has don a recall on what seems to be a very minor problem.
Other makes ignore major problems with any recall.
I'm going through all my lenses and I cant see any problem (Although I only have x14 Z lenses) ... 🦘

At least Nikon has don a recall on what seems to be a very minor problem.
Other makes ignore major problems with any recall.
I'm going through all my lenses and I cant see any problem (Although I only have x14 Z lenses) ... 🦘
good idea except if a new lens you buy in 2 years does not work, what then?

Agree Nikon is handling this very professionally

good idea except if a new lens you buy in 2 years does not work, what then?

Agree Nikon is handling this very professionally
I'll probably send my Z8 in when the panic dies down.
If i'm lucky one of the Nikon pre-release shows will have their engineers there to fix it on the spot ... 🦘

I arranged last week for my Z8 to be shipped backed to Nikon on 6th July, as part of the general recall. Camera was working fine after 3 weeks of moderate use until this morning when suddenly unable to mount new lenses. Lens only able to rotate 1/2 normal anticlockwise rotation before coming to a stop.
I guess this fault can develop at any time without warning !!
New lenses?
Can you still mount the same [old] lenses that used to work?

I arranged last week for my Z8 to be shipped backed to Nikon on 6th July, as part of the general recall. Camera was working fine after 3 weeks of moderate use until this morning when suddenly unable to mount new lenses. Lens only able to rotate 1/2 normal anticlockwise rotation before coming to a stop.
I guess this fault can develop at any time without warning !!
Thank you for sharing Michael, it is for this reason I decided to send mine in last week, but I forgot about the holiday weekend and was hoping to get it back before July 7th for an event; however, in lieu of the holiday delays I doubt that will happen :( But I'm glad to have it fixed and know something like this would not happen in the field.

I cannot mount the lens that was working earlier today and cannot mount FTZ II adapter. ie nothing now. I believe the recall fault is with the bayonet locking mechanism. It is presumably stuck in the closed position and is not opened by the lens release button. (This is my speculation)
I suspect you're correct. If it were just a working / not working condition, people would have been camping about it and we likely would have heard about it before the recall. I was thinking it's probably something that works till it doesn't and based on your experience, that seems to track.

Also, welcome to the forum :)

I cannot mount the lens that was working earlier today and cannot mount FTZ II adapter. ie nothing now. I believe the recall fault is with the bayonet locking mechanism. It is presumably stuck in the closed position and is not opened by the lens release button. (This is my speculation)
Gotcha....Thanks for clarifying..I think you may be correct about the fault.
Yours is the first I've heard/read of a camera that "was thought to be okay" but is not.
Given this I'm glad I sent it in even I thought it was "okay".
Good info to have...thanks for posting this...

Last edited:
Back