Z8 recall and Nikon policy

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I cannot mount the lens that was working earlier today and cannot mount FTZ II adapter. ie nothing now. I believe the recall fault is with the bayonet locking mechanism. It is presumably stuck in the closed position and is not opened by the lens release button. (This is my speculation)
How about the body cap? I'm assuming that those won't mount either.

East coast Nikon service is fairly quick. Dropped off my Z8 at UPS store on Saturday June 24. Got my fixed and cleaned Z8 delivered on Friday June 30 in time to use over the 4th of July.

All of my lenses mounted before I sent it off, but I’m glad I had the service completed.

East coast Nikon service is fairly quick. Dropped off my Z8 at UPS store on Saturday June 24. Got my fixed and cleaned Z8 delivered on Friday June 30 in time to use over the 4th of July.

All of my lenses mounted before I sent it off, but I’m glad I had the service completed.
Was ....was fairly quick. You got your's in early. Some are now waiting days for receipt acknowledgment and a service order number.
In my case it was delivered on the 27th but it's still in the shop.

New lenses?
Can you still mount the same [old] lenses that used to work?
The recall is for the lens lock on the Z8 body.
My Z8 is listed as a recall but none of my 14 Z lenses seem to have any problem.
I'm checking all my old lenses on the FTZ adapters - I'm about 33% done without finding any problems.
Unless there is a Nikon Event with one of their repairers on site i'll wait until the rush is over and probably send my Z8 back then ... 🦘

I arranged last week for my Z8 to be shipped backed to Nikon on 6th July, as part of the general recall. Camera was working fine after 3 weeks of moderate use until this morning when suddenly unable to mount new lenses. Lens only able to rotate 1/2 normal anticlockwise rotation before coming to a stop.
I guess this fault can develop at any time without warning !!
If I understand you correctly, the lens rotates less than usual.
That would mean that (my) former assumption of a faulty locking mechanism was incorrect.
Did you take a look to the bayonet after it stopped working?
Is one of the four springs on the inside of the bayonet broken or bent?

If I understand you correctly, the lens rotates less than usual.
That would mean that (my) former assumption of a faulty locking mechanism was incorrect.
Did you take a look to the bayonet after it stopped working?
Is one of the four springs on the inside of the bayonet broken or bent?
Nothing obvious to see when looking at the mount.
Tried again to mount a Z lens and with a more forceful rotation, this time it mounted. Resistance to rotation when lens only 1/2 rotated. Had to try 4-5 times before I could unmount it and for a moment was frightened that the lens was stuck. Not exactly sure what is going on but it is NOT behaving normally. Glad it is going in for repair.

Last edited:
Back